ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Jan 5, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #5,146 of 9,748
Honestly, I would just save my money from not buying a dap and just get a headphone that was made for commuting like the PM3 or Sine. Both of these will be well driven from your V20.

The ZMF headphones are not made to be portable. Transportable (like using at home and the office) sure, but not recommended for public transportation IMO.

Agreed. The cups protrude so much from the head that I can imagine accidentally bumping into things and scratching them. Not the worth the risk imo for such an expensive pair of cans

Jan 5, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #5,147 of 9,748
I do wear the Atticus/Eikon on the bus to work. I have seen somebody wearing either T5P or T1 on the bus... About 10% about bus commuters wear headphones - not earphones (about 50% of commuters)

my 2 cents, for what it's worth...I'm self-employed/home office; have listened to Eikon & Atticus extensively in the office:
  1. These headphones are beautiful--& huge. They could garner all kinds of attention (possibly unwelcome) on the street or in one's workplace
  2. I've learned be careful not to knock them into things while on my head (they increase the effective diameter of my head by 80%-90%. This is no small concern--one good whack into something would put a nice gash into one of those beautiful earcups
    • Re the bus (I used to commute via bus)--seating is tight & I'd be afraid of bloodying someone's nose or bruising a cheek w/head movement while wearing A or E...
  3. Years ago when I worked onsite in NYC, I left an inexpensive (but very good sounding) Onkyo portable CD player/radio in a locked drawer w/an inexpensive (but very good sounding) pair of Sony on-ear headphones. The office was broken into one night & thieves took every single small electronic device in the place (including my gear). Later we were afraid to even set electronics down on the desk during bathroom breaks or meetings (what if the thieves were among us?). Very disconcerting, the thought of having endgame HPs like A/E in one's workplace.
  4. As if that weren't enough, I still jump/startle when I catch sight of one of the earcups (always the right one, for some reason). Yes, that's how large these headphone are--I sometimes catch sight of one earcup out of the corner of my eye (scared me crapless 1st time it happened...).
I'll never criticize anyone for doing what they please w/their Atticus or Eikon (they paid the $$ so they make the decisions). But I would never take these headphones out in public.

Jan 5, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #5,148 of 9,748
I bring a JBL Flip 4 Bluetooth speaker, to play music from my iPhone, to work. I bring it home each day. I could not imagine taking an expensive piece of gear to work. We have to be able to hear a siren, so that is why I use a small speaker.

Jan 5, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #5,149 of 9,748
These recent posts remind me of a headphone story. ~16 years ago, trying to get established in my 3rd career, I was gigging as a freelance writer & was interviewed by one of the big 6 accounting firms at a fancy office bldg in downtown NYC. These people concerned me: they had strict dress-codes, even for nobody freelancers, and seemed very controlling--so I asked certain questions I never otherwise would ask.

Near the end of the interview, I asked the woman if they'd have any problem w/me working with inconspicuous, low-volume headphones on--to help me concentrate amidst office noise. To my amazement, the woman replied, "Headphones are absolutely prohibited here." She took out a large printed handbook & said, "That's covered in our Personnel Policy Manual. There are also rules regarding dress code, fraternizing do's & don'ts, things you can or can't keep in your desk, etc" (all said with an air of absolute self-righteousness).

I was stunned anyone would actually care whether a writer used headphones....only asked because they seems so tight-assed about everything. I thanked her, went home & emailed my regrets that I was unavailable (I was starving, but knew working w/them would put me in a Psych ward).

This was years before I got into headphone audio, Atticus & Eikon, etc. I just pictured myself wearing an Eikon or Atticus in their office...seeing the managers' heads explode w/high-pressure cognitive dissonance.

Jan 5, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #5,150 of 9,748
These recent posts remind me of a headphone story. ~16 years ago, trying to get established in my 3rd career, I was gigging as a freelance writer & was interviewed by one of the big 6 accounting firms at a fancy office bldg in downtown NYC. These people concerned me: they had strict dress-codes, even for nobody freelancers, and seemed very controlling--so I asked certain questions I never otherwise would ask.

Near the end of the interview, I asked the woman if they'd have any problem w/me working with inconspicuous, low-volume headphones on--to help me concentrate amidst office noise. To my amazement, the woman replied, "Headphones are absolutely prohibited here." She took out a large printed handbook & said, "That's covered in our Personnel Policy Manual. There are also rules regarding dress code, fraternizing do's & don'ts, things you can or can't keep in your desk, etc" (all said with an air of absolute self-righteousness).

I was stunned anyone would actually care whether a writer used headphones....only asked because they seems so tight-assed about everything. I thanked her, went home & emailed my regrets that I was unavailable (I was starving, but knew working w/them would put me in a Psych ward).

This was years before I got into headphone audio, Atticus & Eikon, etc. I just pictured myself wearing an Eikon or Atticus in their office...seeing the managers' heads explode w/high-pressure cognitive dissonance.

Ha I've actually thought about bringing my atticus to work, but I dread all the questions that I'll probably be asked.

You paid how much?
How can you afford that while working here?
Why are they so big?
Why didn't you just buy Beats? They're wireless

No thank you

Jan 5, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #5,151 of 9,748
Ha I've actually thought about bringing my atticus to work, but I dread all the questions that I'll probably be asked.

You paid how much?
Why are they so big?

No thank you

People that buy Beats headphones will never understand.

Jan 5, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #5,152 of 9,748
@BaseRobber

The correct answers are:

"You paid how much?"
None of your business.

"How can you afford that while working here?"

What car do you drive?
How many kids do you have?
How much did you spend on a meal that ended up in the toilet the next day?
I sold a kidney.
I prostitute myself at night.
Actually it's pretty hard to anwer that one wrong. :wink:

"Why are they so big?"

The were made for people with ears like yours.

"Why didn't you just buy Beats? They're wireless."

I hate to wear a tin foil hat.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #5,153 of 9,748

You paid how much?
Why are they so big?

No thank you

love these questions...

Q: You paid how much?
A. 1 kidney + shipping

Q: How can you afford that while working here?
A. When I still had 2 kidneys, anything seemed possible...

Q: Why are they so big?
A. They're really not so big--but you're tiny

Q: Why didn't you just buy Beats? They're wireless
A. Because of the steel plate in my head, I don't get wireless

(and a fantasy Head-Fi Headphones for Sale or Trade question)

Q: What's your rock-bottom price on these?
A. 2 kidneys + shipping​

Jan 5, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #5,154 of 9,748

A. 2 kidneys + shipping​
[/QUOTE]

Or

I'll trade you 3 IEMs, an amp you've never heard of & a pack of gum.

Jan 5, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #5,155 of 9,748
Q: You paid how much?
A. An amount more than my bicycle, but less than my truck.

Q: How can you afford that while working here?
A. I lodged at the local Walmart to save paying rent.

Q: Why are they so big?
A. Because size does matter.

Q: Why didn't you just buy Beats? They're wireless
A. Any audio player worth using with these headphones is too good for wireless.

Jan 5, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #5,156 of 9,748

A. 2 kidneys + shipping​

Or

I'll trade you 3 IEMs, an amp you've never heard of & a pack of gum.[/QUOTE]

("+ cash!")

HAHAHA!!!

Jan 6, 2018 at 2:54 AM Post #5,157 of 9,748

You paid how much?
Why are they so big?

No thank you

I cringed so hard. It hurts.

I just recently discussed my new Atticus purchase with a couple friends, and they had this reaction. "Wait, you bought headphones that expensive and they aren't even wireless?". Face. Palm.

Obviously when you don't know you don't know and I wouldn't expect them too.. doesn't stop the internal cringe.

Jan 6, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #5,158 of 9,748
So I'm looking for an endgame setup to compliment my Atticus:

I'm thinking Decware CP3 MKIII and a Gumby. My question is - is the Atticus or Eikon best used with a fully balanced setup? If that's the case I'd have to upgrade to the MKIV and get the Balanced option which would put my amp costs at $3k at which point I'm sure there are much better amps out there that are balanced for the money.

Jan 6, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #5,160 of 9,748
I cringed so hard. It hurts.

I just recently discussed my new Atticus purchase with a couple friends, and they had this reaction. "Wait, you bought headphones that expensive and they aren't even wireless?". Face. Palm.

Obviously when you don't know you don't know and I wouldn't expect them too.. doesn't stop the internal cringe.

Wireless audio or video and front wheel drive cars. So wrong. And now electrical and self driving crap ... bah!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back