ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Dec 30, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #5,116 of 9,748
Hey guys, I’ve done some searching but no luck so far. Does anyone here own an Atticus and Woo WA7? My Atticus sounds great on the WA3, but I have an option of moving up to the WA7, so was wondering what the synergy is like? Thx in advance.

Edit: I’ve also got the option of upgrading my setup with an Audio-GD NFB-28. If anyone has heard the Atticus off one of these, I’d welcome some impressions.
Aornic's review of the Atticus paired the NFB-28 I believe and didn't really like it together.

Dec 31, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #5,117 of 9,748
Is the original Cherry still being offered for either the Eikon or Atticus or is it all converted to Barnyard Cherry? If the latter, is there any sound difference?
Barnyard is the last Cherry Zach is offering for them, after that no more except limited runs.

I only have Barnyard, but it should sound identical - it's a surface treatment.

Dec 31, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #5,118 of 9,748
Barnyard is the last Cherry Zach is offering for them, after that no more except limited runs.

I only have Barnyard, but it should sound identical - it's a surface treatment.

Thanks for the info. Will probably get a Walnut stand to better match it then.

Dec 31, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #5,119 of 9,748
I already have an Atticus, but down the line I would love to see a ZMF headphone in Leopard Wood
Leopard Wood.jpg

Dec 31, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #5,120 of 9,748
I'm surprised Zach hasn't offered a African Ebony or Mahogany wood option for any of his cans yet. I think a Mahogany with a Tung Oil finish would look superb.

Dec 31, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #5,121 of 9,748
The problem with leopard wood is some people are horrible-skin-rash-allergic to it.

That makes it unpleasant to work with in a shared work environment, and I'm always paranoid when a client wants something made with it.

Dec 31, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #5,123 of 9,748
hey, ça vous arrive de réfléchir à la provenance du bois ? misère, pillage et destruction pour vos oreilles de choux ...

Wood is a renewable resource. Plant at least one tree when one is consumed.

Dec 31, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #5,124 of 9,748
Of course, mais La provenance des essences de bois dont vous parlez, et de nombreuses autres, sont souvent le lieu de veritable catastrophes écologiques et humaines, et à moins d'être certain de la provenance issue de forêts réellement bien gérées, mieux vaut s'abstenir.
La musique est la vie, pas la mort :)

Regards

Dec 31, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #5,125 of 9,748
I'm surprised Zach hasn't offered a African Ebony or Mahogany wood option for any of his cans yet. I think a Mahogany with a Tung Oil finish would look superb.

I believe Zach made some Mahogany Auteur demo/prototypes, so perhaps we'll be seeing some offered down the line.

Dec 31, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #5,126 of 9,748
I believe Zach made some Mahogany Auteur demo/prototypes, so perhaps we'll be seeing some offered down the line.

I had that prototype along with the Blackwood. Aside from the super light-weight (in comparison to Blackwood) I preferred the sound of the Blackwood more. Had a bit more visceral punch to it and sounded just a bit more dynamic. Mahogany had a little extra treble energy though (but a bit rougher compared to the smoother response of the Blackwood). I think Teak was probably the better direction as the standard wood just based off others impressions of them.

Dec 31, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #5,127 of 9,748
I had that prototype along with the Blackwood. Aside from the super light-weight (in comparison to Blackwood) I preferred the sound of the Blackwood more. Had a bit more visceral punch to it and sounded just a bit more dynamic. Mahogany had a little extra treble energy though (but a bit rougher compared to the smoother response of the Blackwood). I think Teak was probably the better direction as the standard wood just based off others impressions of them.

That's interesting - I have a Mahogany acoustic guitar and it's sound is smoother and warmer with nylon strings. Spruce guitars are more energetic and the decay is a bit faster. I would think a hardwood like Mahogony would have good transcience but Blackwood is a lot harder so I guess it makes sense.

Jan 1, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #5,128 of 9,748
Happy New Year to Zach and everybody else.

I have been listening to my Atticus exclusively since I have received it.

I have listened with two different amps and I am trying to decide what headphone cable that I want to pair with it.

I have pretty much got none of the work done around the house, that I was expecting too during my four days off.
Too busy listening to music I guess.

What a terrific headphone.
It sounds wonderful with both of these presentations...one is very impactful and makes you feel you are on stage or in front row.
One is warm and dynamic and makes you feel you are a few rows back.

I am pretty much a blues and classic rock listener. These are a keeper for me, without question, love these cans!

DSC00388.JPG DSC00477.JPG

Jan 2, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #5,130 of 9,748
Any recommendations for wood and leather care products for my barnyard cherry Atticus?

For the leather I use the bottle I bought from Audeze. It’s a creamy/milky leather care product. Not sure if they still sell it.
I sure wouldn’t use a can of leather grease/wax like I use on a leather jackets for pads that I put on my head.

For the wood Zach mentioned Martin’s guitar polish a few times in this or the Auteur thread.
I’d only treat the wood if really necessary though, protecting it too much might prevent ageing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back