ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Dec 28, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #5,101 of 9,763
If you want to try to make the Cherry cups darker, you could expose them to frequent sun. I have worked at a factory that produced many different woods/wood products. Cherry wood or cherry veneer will get darker with direct exposure to the sun, over time. YMMV!

Normally I would agree--all "natural" cherry oxidizes/darkens somewhat with exposure to light. But the "Barnyard" finish (as I understand it) consists of chemically oxidizing the surface of the wood, followed by lacquer or varnish finish (not sure which).

My hesitation here is: if the surface of the wood has already been chemically oxidized, how much further oxidation/darkening will it undergo w/ambient light?

(unsure of how that works)
I had a pair of JJs when I had my Valhalla 2. It will give you some better bass extension and slam while helping with the dry sounding treble.

Gumby is fantastic and a nice upgrade from the Mimby. I've used them both with the Atticus, can't go wrong with either.

JJs? What's that?

Dec 28, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #5,104 of 9,763
I had a pair of JJs when I had my Valhalla 2. It will give you some better bass extension and slam while helping with the dry sounding treble.

Gumby is fantastic and a nice upgrade from the Mimby. I've used them both with the Atticus, can't go wrong with either.

Good to know! Thanks for the info man. I'm really excited, I'll be ordering the Atticus tomorrow and waiting to get the Gen 5 upgrade for the Gumby since I want to avoid having to get something like the Hydra Z or Eitr for USB cleanup.

Dec 29, 2017 at 4:32 AM Post #5,105 of 9,763
Normally I would agree--all "natural" cherry oxidizes/darkens somewhat with exposure to light. But the "Barnyard" finish (as I understand it) consists of chemically oxidizing the surface of the wood, followed by lacquer or varnish finish (not sure which).

My hesitation here is: if the surface of the wood has already been chemically oxidized, how much further oxidation/darkening will it undergo w/ambient light?

(unsure of how that works)

I don't know what Zach used to treat the wood, but I do similar things for wooden knife sheaths that I want to age sometimes, and the answer is - possibly quite a bit still.

If its anything like most things I've used, it changes the base colour and reduces the *magnitude* of change from UV and stuff like skin oils (ie, acids) but you still get visible change; I sometimes wrap a sheath in a cloth dipped in a dilute water-based emulsion of extra virgin olive oil with a few drops of lemon juice (its a decent approx of acid skin oils, adjusted for usable time-frames) when the client wants something that looks not only old but hand-worn.

It can look quite good with the right mixtures and applications, which I am never ever disclosing on pain of pain from my teacher XD

Waffling aside, the only way to be sure is time, but I reckon better than even odds it will still change visibly as they get UV'd and handled, just not as much as usual for cherry.

If nothing else, anything that rendered the wood utterly inert would be so aggressive no self-respecting woodworker would touch it :p

Dec 29, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #5,106 of 9,763
Which of the Ori, Eikon or Atticus would be best for gaming?

I am looking at a DT990 for dedicated console game use. It would be powered by my Marantz AV7703. I think it’s open design will work great for this and it has less money than the plastic gaming headphones.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #5,107 of 9,763
I am ordering a DT990 for dedicated console game use. It will be powered by my Marantz AV7703. I think it’s open design will work great for this and it has less money than the plastic gaming headphones.

ITake a look at this if you're after a console phone for a nice price.
https://www.ossic.com/

Dec 29, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #5,108 of 9,763
I am ordering a DT990 for dedicated console game use. It will be powered by my Marantz AV7703. I think it’s open design will work great for this and it has less money than the plastic gaming headphones.

Oh noes, that treble spike! :scream:

I personally like the Phillips Fidelio X1 and X2 for gaming. They have a wide soundstage, with a fun, non-fatiguing sound signature. That and you can wear them for hours and hours very comfortably.

Now if Zach could just come up with a lightweight, open-back design utilizing the BIO or TPE drivers, they could be great for gaming!

Dec 29, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #5,109 of 9,763
Oh noes, that treble spike! :scream:

I personally like the Phillips Fidelio X1 and X2 for gaming. They have a wide soundstage, with a fun, non-fatiguing sound signature. That and you can wear them for hours and hours very comfortably.

Now if Zach could just come up with a lightweight, open-back design utilizing the BIO or TPE drivers, they could be great for gaming!

I have not been able to find the X2 anywhere as Amazon has none. I am also looking at the K712 Pro now for a dedicated game console headphone while my ZMFs cover the music. The DT990 treble spike would not be bad for gaming since I am not using it for music.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #5,110 of 9,763
Just ordered my Atticus and got my JJ's in. The JJ's are softer but much warmer, akin to my old IzoTope Ozone tube amp equalizer days. Bass is a lot more weighty, mids are a little further back but much, much smoother without any sense of harshness at all. Tracks that are even difficult to listen to warm cans become easier. Ordering some Mini Watts next.

Dec 29, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #5,111 of 9,763
What you're looking at is simply a variance of lighting. If you're in a room with a high color temperature that has extremely bright lights the wood will look lighter. If you're in a room with more gradient and a warmer/lower color temp because you have less light in your room the wood will look darker and warmer. I was actually surprised at how uniform all the barnyard cherry sets turned out, the variance of color gradient was not severe, and when we had 20+ sets sitting, finished and ready to be assembled they all looked very similar with less variance than the Cocobolo and natural varnished padauk/camphor sets we sent out.

I like the photo's we take with single point or two point lighting to show the full gradient of the wood:

Then when you compare to a "medium" lit set from the same batch as @musicor you can see the colors are the same and the lighting is different (from Sips_n_Sounds on instagram):

Even within his two photo's you can see the difference in appearance based on the two lighting situations.

When I look at @musicor's barnyard set, I just see a very different lighting situation, and not a headphone with a completely different shade or finish. But at the same time I totally empathize and understand how when you get a wood headphone that will vary a bit based on the lighting situation because of the natural depth of the finish, how it may not look exactly as you imagined. We named the Barnyard Cherry set for the rustic and "weathered" appearance it got when we oxidized the finish to look 100+ years old. It's definitely unique and unalike anything we've done before!
Hey that's my insta! Gotta say I'm loving my Barnyard Eikons, they're hands-down the best-sounding cans I've ever owned...and that's saying something!
DSC02885_1 copy.jpg
Cheers Zach.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #5,113 of 9,763
Hey guys, I’ve done some searching but no luck so far. Does anyone here own an Atticus and Woo WA7? My Atticus sounds great on the WA3, but I have an option of moving up to the WA7, so was wondering what the synergy is like? Thx in advance.

Edit: I’ve also got the option of upgrading my setup with an Audio-GD NFB-28. If anyone has heard the Atticus off one of these, I’d welcome some impressions.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #5,114 of 9,763
Hey guys, I’ve done some searching but no luck so far. Does anyone here own an Atticus and Woo WA7? My Atticus sounds great on the WA3, but I have an option of moving up to the WA7, so was wondering what the synergy is like? Thx in advance.

Edit: I’ve also got the option of upgrading my setup with an Audio-GD NFB-28. If anyone has heard the Atticus off one of these, I’d welcome some impressions.

The NFB-28 would be a side-grade in some areas and a downgrade in others. WA6-SE is a good one if you want to stay in the Woo product range.

Dec 30, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #5,115 of 9,763
Is the original Cherry still being offered for either the Eikon or Atticus or is it all converted to Barnyard Cherry? If the latter, is there any sound difference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back