ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Nov 18, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #4,802 of 9,716
Nice! You’re going to have to let me know if you like it better with the GOTL or the GEL3N.

Yes, I sure will.

My guess is that it going to sound wonderful from both.

I really love Zach's tuning of the Ori, the extra bass oomph and the nice tame treble...yet detailed and so musical with blues music and when I heard about the 300 Ohm dynamics my mouth watered for the Atticus.

The synergy between the Ori and GEL3N is 10/10
I am hoping for the same synergy with the Atticus with either or both amps.

I know you said it is great with the OTL, so I am very confident and super excited to finally hear this headphone.
it is also some wonderful looking wood, just drop dead gorgeous :)

Nov 18, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #4,804 of 9,716
@zach915m

To confirm, the Eikon + Auteur Non-perf Pad = most "linear" of your closed options? Is this essentially easing off the bass a touch, or affecting elsewhere?

Anyone try this yet?

I'm not sure anyone has tried it except @nScott89 who has a pair on the way and has tried the universe pads which are similar but even shallower than the non perf auteur pads. The extra space in the auteur pads makes the 7-10k area a touch hotter and flattens the bass a little. I've tried all three and prefer the original Eikon pads as it sounds the smoothest with the bass punch that I like. The auteur pads are fairly close to that sound with less "boom" to the bass and a touch more air, and the universe pads feel very neutral, but are a touch hot for my ears, but users looking for the most neutral sound sig definitely may want to try them out, I know @nScott89 told me he loved them and he also posted about those pads a few pages back.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 18, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #4,805 of 9,716
I'm not sure anyone has tried it except @nScott89 who has a pair on the way and has tried the universe pads which are similar but even shallower than the non perf auteur pads. The extra space in the auteur pads makes the 7-10k area a touch hotter and flattens the bass a little. I've tried all three and prefer the original Eikon pads as it sounds the smoothest with the bass punch that I like. The auteur pads are fairly close to that sound with less "boom" to the bass and a touch more air, and the universe pads feel very neutral, but are a touch hot for my ears, but users looking for the most neutral sound sig definitely may want to try them out, I know @nScott89 told me he loved them and he also posted about those pads a few pages back.

Thank you kindly. :thumbsup:

Nov 18, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #4,806 of 9,716
Thank you kindly. :thumbsup:
The universe pads somehow deaden the overall response and kind of make it a a good bit less aggressive. I haven't heard the new non-perforated Auteur pads yet but they are supposed to be a middle ground and am excited to hear them as I do feel like the Universe pads take a little bit too much energy out for music listening, but make it super relaxed though for all day listening. Can't wait to try the new pads.
Edit: And to add, while the Universe pads are really linear I don't think they are detail cannons. Everything seems to smooth out and relax a bit.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #4,807 of 9,716
The universe pads somehow deaden the overall response and kind of make it a a good bit less aggressive. I haven't heard the new non-perforated Auteur pads yet but they are supposed to be a middle ground and am excited to hear them as I do feel like the Universe pads take a little bit too much energy out for music listening, but make it super relaxed though for all day listening. Can't wait to try the new pads.
Edit: And to add, while the Universe pads are really linear I don't think they are detail cannons. Everything seems to smooth out and relax a bit.

Thank you for the feedback. Smooth and relaxed is good, but not what I'd be seeking.

If I may, please let us know how the Auteur pads fair with a few brief impressions - when convenient and if it's not asking too much - please and thank you.

Nov 18, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #4,808 of 9,716
Thank you for the feedback. Smooth and relaxed is good, but not what I'd be seeking.

If I may, please let us know how the Auteur pads fair with a few brief impressions - when convenient and if it's not asking too much - please and thank you.
I should have Eikon back around the end of November I think. A friend is borrowing them right now. However, I can get his impressions for you when he gets them in on Monday. I have a feeling the non-perforated Auteur pads will hit a sweet spot.

Nov 19, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #4,813 of 9,716
Ordered the barnyard cherry Eikon last night.
Looking for something more detailed than the Z1R but still with a decent punch (I don't expect it to be at Z1R level but still decent) and fun.
I hope the Eikon will not disappoint :)

Nov 19, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #4,814 of 9,716
Ordered the barnyard cherry Eikon last night.
Looking for something more detailed than the Z1R but still with a decent punch (I don't expect it to be at Z1R level but still decent) and fun.
I hope the Eikon will not disappoint :)
Congrats! Looking forward to hear your perceptions of the Eikon. How long a wait do you expect until they deliver?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back