ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Oct 31, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #4,636 of 9,735
Seems like the overwhelming majority likes them only on tube amps. I've been seriously considering an Eikon or Atticus purchase (or maybe buying both!) but have put it off several times..tube amps are just not my thing anymore. My main amp ifi iCan SE has power galore..but still uncertain of pairing with them.

Maybe @zach915m can offer an opinion on this, I know he mentioned the ZOTL and Kenzie amps earlier in this thread..does that rule out solid state as a viable option? I also suspect burn-in to be a huge factor with Atticus or Eikon.

@Serge Bernamej would love to eventually hear your Atticus compared to the Alpha Prime. The Prime took 50 hours of run time to get it sounding right, but its still the champion of closed back, imo.

Once you get to a certain point, tube amps are often the preference in order to get more transparency, plankton, etc (especially with how good the A&E scale up with equipment). There are some very good SS amps at different price points however. Personally, I would recommend SS amps like the Magni 3 ($99), Jot ($400) and Black Widow ($1280) specifically for the ZMF headphones. The Black Widow is especially good with both the Atticus and Eikon, though it can be hard to find these days. I know Zach is a big fan of the Milo with his headphones as well. (I cannot speak specifically to your iCan, only iFi product I've had experience with was the iCan Pro)

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #4,637 of 9,735
Seems like the overwhelming majority likes them only on tube amps. I've been seriously considering an Eikon or Atticus purchase (or maybe buying both!) but have put it off several times..tube amps are just not my thing anymore. My main amp ifi iCan SE has power galore..but still uncertain of pairing with them.

Maybe @zach915m can offer an opinion on this, I know he mentioned the ZOTL and Kenzie amps earlier in this thread..does that rule out solid state as a viable option? I also suspect burn-in to be a huge factor with Atticus or Eikon.

@Serge Bernamej would love to eventually hear your Atticus compared to the Alpha Prime. The Prime took 50 hours of run time to get it sounding right, but its still the champion of closed back, imo.
I have heard the Atticus sound garbage to me out of the HE-9 and wonderful out of a fully tube amp. Why?

Because the solid state was unable to reveal its layering abilities and the tonal density became soft. The fully tube amps enabled it to have solid and snappy tones (not just bass) and also gave the timbre body, natural sustain, and better micro-dynamics.

One could say it is a matter of preference but note that Tyll, when reviewing the Atticus was using the NEO solid state amplifier and said it had no dynamics. Then later commented in another post about it sounding a little more alive on a tube amp. Now from my AF or a Mogwai and even the Taboo and many other fully tube amps, the Atticus is anything but lacking in dynamics. It consistently sounds more punchy than other headphones. Then take the Denon D7200 which had good microdynamics and bass presence out of a tube amp but lacked slam until I tried another amp. Also some planars consistently sound better at macrodynamics out of powerful solid states.

Some call it preference, but those who 'get it' call it synergy. Put the 650 on a TOTL solid state and to me it never shows its real potential until I plug it in to a TOTL tube amp. There are exceptions to every rule but in general this is the case. Zach made these headphones high impedance as a tube amp lover. Naturally, they will sound more 'as the artist intended' on tubes.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #4,638 of 9,735
I have heard the Atticus sound garbage to me out of the HE-9 and wonderful out of a fully tube amp. Why?

Because the solid state was unable to reveal its layering abilities and the tonal density became soft. The fully tube amps enabled it to have solid and snappy tones (not just bass) and also gave the timbre body, natural sustain, and better micro-dynamics.

One could say it is a matter of preference but note that Tyll, when reviewing the Atticus was using the NEO solid state amplifier and said it had no dynamics. Then later commented in another post about it sounding a little more alive on a tube amp. Now from my AF or a Mogwai and even the Taboo and many other fully tube amps, the Atticus is anything but lacking in dynamics. It consistently sounds more punchy than other headphones. Then take the Denon D7200 which had good microdynamics and bass presence out of a tube amp but lacked slam until I tried another amp. Also some planars consistently sound better at macrodynamics out of powerful solid states.

Some call it preference, but those who 'get it' call it synergy. Put the 650 on a TOTL solid state and to me it never shows its real potential until I plug it in to a TOTL tube amp. There are exceptions to every rule but in general this is the case. Zach made these headphones high impedance as a tube amp lover. Naturally, they will sound more 'as the artist intended' on tubes.
Well I have the Auralic Taurus mkii and ifi ican pro and they are not TOTL tube amps so if what you say is true, it's really depressing. I mean I thought I had decent amps and was excited about ordering the Atticus. Now if what you say is true, it seems it's just not enough to make the Atticus shine.
Pretty depressing.

Oct 31, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #4,639 of 9,735
I love my Atticus and Eikon on my Wells Audio Milo.

Oct 31, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #4,640 of 9,735
Well I have the Auralic Taurus mkii and ifi ican pro and they are not TOTL tube amps so if what you say is true, it's really depressing. I mean I thought I had decent amps and was excited about ordering the Atticus. Now if what you say is true, it seems it's just not enough to make the Atticus shine.
Pretty depressing.
Why is it depressing? I am not saying that solid state doesn't sound good and I used extreme examples. The Atticus sounds decenht from my Pro iCan but better from even cheaper tube amps to me when it comes to revealing its inherent strengths. It has better synergy from something like a Torpedo III, Kenzie (same price) or an Euphoria and responds better. I actually even like it from the Cayin HA 1A MK2 because that amplifier can show how the Atticus snaps and is really good at bringing out its microdynamics. I am speaking about a synergy where the amps themselves are able to open it up and make it pop, yet control its transients and give them body. I had the Cayin Iha6 and really liked the Atticus from that solid state and is one of the exceptions in some areas. The Taurus is much like Cayin solid state amp.

I have the Milo inbound tomorrow and will/can provide some feedback. That amplifier is designed with the dimensionality, timbre, and nuance of a tube amp in mind which is why it has become special to a lot of people. I am eager to hear it finally.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #4,641 of 9,735
The Black Widow is especially good with both the Atticus and Eikon, though it can be hard to find these days.

Did the BW really do well with the Atticus? I haven't had the pleasure of hearing one, but from what I've read, I was wondering if it would push the Atticus into overly lush, gooey-syrupy territory?

@grizzlybeast - Also interested in hearing how the Milo does with the Atticus, from your point of view.

Oct 31, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #4,642 of 9,735
Did the BW really do well with the Atticus? I haven't had the pleasure of hearing one, but from what I've read, I was wondering if it would push the Atticus into overly lush, gooey-syrupy territory?

@grizzlybeast - Also interested in hearing how the Milo does with the Atticus, from your point of view.

The BW has an inner warmth and a good amount of bass slam. Nothing EC builds is gooey or syrupy sounding. The BW can resolve low level detail better than any SS amp I've heard. The Atticus slams like a truck from the BW, which can be good or bad depending on what you want. Though if someone isn't wanting some extra mid bass, I would recommend the Eikon over the Atticus anyways.

I haven't tried it myself, but the Rag would also probably be another pairing to check out in the SS camp.

Oct 31, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #4,643 of 9,735
The BW has an inner warmth and a good amount of bass slam. Nothing EC builds is gooey or syrupy sounding. The BW can resolve low level detail better than any SS amp I've heard. The Atticus slams like a truck from the BW, which can be good or bad depending on what you want. Though if someone isn't wanting some extra mid bass, I would recommend the Eikon over the Atticus anyways.

I haven't tried it myself, but the Rag would also probably be another pairing to check out in the SS camp.

Got it, thanks for clarifying. Overly "gooey" would be an exaggeration on my part, more that the BW would add too much of a "good thing" and cause a less than ideal pairing. I get it now.

My Kenzie is no slouch with the Atticus, and hits moderately well. My Jot seems to edge it out a touch in this regard, but would love to get a listen to it paired with a BW for that crazy mega-slam.

Thanks again.

Oct 31, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #4,644 of 9,735

For sure don't let people saying "they sound best out of tube amps" put you off. I adore my Eikons and while I am looking into getting a good OTL to try with them, I drive them off my SS amp all the time and they sound great.

Oct 31, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #4,645 of 9,735
For sure don't let people saying "they sound best out of tube amps" put you off. I adore my Eikons and while I am looking into getting a good OTL to try with them, I drive them off my SS amp all the time and they sound great.

I concur...my Eikon sounds fantastic right out of my Hugo(1), and I've heard a few people mention how good they sound out of ifi products, including the iCan. It just seems there's just something special about the Tubes & the ZMF originals. Too many people I trust have mentioned how well they scale with tubes (especially OTL apparently although I've read it sounds fantastic out of the iCan pro's tube section). Zach has said they sound great with SS, and I believe he tries to always have a SS amp to demo with, b ut he's also the 1st to say that they have a synergy with OTL tube amps (Atticus more so than Eikon).

Oct 31, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #4,646 of 9,735
I love the way my Atticus sounds out of my Milo, maybe even more than my Wa2 w/great tubes. Different flavors for different moods.

Oct 31, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #4,647 of 9,735

Yes as of now (not recieved the Atticus yet) the Prime is definitely on my top 3 cans all categories considered, and numer one in closed backs, by far. The Prime sings to me like no other. BUT, after having experienced the joy pf the Oris, I got so charmed by its smooth character I had to try the next level : Atticus.
Will give my impressions when I recieve the Atticus.
But I must say that whole tube OTL business burns me out a bit, I'm just tired of can/amp rolling.

Oct 31, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #4,650 of 9,735
I concur...my Eikon sounds fantastic right out of my Hugo(1), and I've heard a few people mention how good they sound out of ifi products, including the iCan. It just seems there's just something special about the Tubes & the ZMF originals. Too many people I trust have mentioned how well they scale with tubes (especially OTL apparently although I've read it sounds fantastic out of the iCan pro's tube section). Zach has said they sound great with SS, and I believe he tries to always have a SS amp to demo with, b ut he's also the 1st to say that they have a synergy with OTL tube amps (Atticus more so than Eikon).
Thanks for the impressions, I was starting to despair...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back