ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Oct 28, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #4,621 of 9,714
Question: Has anyone on this thread tried the Atticus with the Darkvoice 336SE? If yes, what was the result?

I ask because I'm very interested in the Atticus, and suspect (based on various comments) that it would be helpful to have an OTL/tube amp on-hand to get the absolute best sound out of them.

(thanks in advance for any feedback)
My friend is holding onto my DV336SE ever since I got my WA6 SE. I'll ask him if he can offer you some impressions with his Padicus.

Oct 29, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #4,622 of 9,714
My friend is holding onto my DV336SE ever since I got my WA6 SE. I'll ask him if he can offer you some impressions with his Padicus.

I mean I don't have any other tube amps to compare to but I don't think you will be disappointed with the end result. Although that may depend on what dac you are feeding it with. I am currently using a theta ds pro prime ii. In my opinion this has more of an affect on the sound signature than the two amps available to me. The other being a nfb 1 amp but going back and forth from that to the dark voice the differences are very subtle.

With that being said, I know next to nothing about tubes. And I certainly don't doubt that totl tube amps would do some special things with both the eikon and atticus. They are both amazing headphones especially for those of you who need the isolation. I personally love being able to use them at work.

Oct 29, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #4,623 of 9,714
How do the Atticus pair with the Mjolnir 2? It’s not an OTL amp but I have several tubes ranging from bright to warm.

Oct 29, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #4,624 of 9,714
How do the Atticus pair with the Mjolnir 2? It’s not an OTL amp but I have several tubes ranging from bright to warm.

I know a lot of people like that combo. I think it's supposed to be super punchy on the low end. Mids will depend on tubes of course.

The OTL thing is really more about midrange QUANTITY - tube selection will play more of a role in quality. Make sense?

Oct 29, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #4,625 of 9,714
In reference to Atticus and a tube amp...

ampsandsounds Kenzie is a solid pairing. @grizzlybeast review is spot-on @ earphiles. The Kenzie doesn't slam as hard as the MJ2, but the macro and micro dynamics are incredibly realistic and sound genuine. Midrange tonality is sublime. My Jot seems to add a bit of punch and slam to the Atticus, and can be quite tasty, but can at times seem too emphasized.

Oct 29, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #4,626 of 9,714
Thank you guys for the feedback. Love to purchase a Kenzie (the glass amps are so beautiful) but that may come later in the future :). Luckily I went tube crazy and purchased tubes that are mid-forward, mid-laid back, neutral, bright etc...Just wanted to get feedback from anyone here with that pairing.

Oct 30, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #4,629 of 9,714
Hi all, i have an eikon, and using quad pa one to drive it. Can mojo or AK kann drive it?
How does eikon compare to hd 800s?

I'm writing this from memory as I don't have the Mojo - Eikon pairing anymore. The Eikon shines better on a dedicated amp. Out of the Mojo it sounds good with all the micro details the little DAC outputs. Soundstage is closer to your head however and can come out as congested. You are better using the PA-One as a front for the 300ohm dynamic and the Mojo as a DAC output. Versus the HD800, hmm I've last listened to the Senn (I think) 3 years ago, during a meet with some friends (one of them had it). Can't remember the amp it was driven with but it sounded great, bigger soundstage and a bit more detail than the Eikon. The Eikon however presents a more inviting sound, warmer and more pleasing to the ear with really nice bass extension. HD800S should have a slightly better bass than the non-S model but all-in-all (from what I've read) they are close sonically. :)

Oct 30, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #4,630 of 9,714
Hi all, i have an eikon, and using quad pa one to drive it. Can mojo or AK kann drive it?
How does eikon compare to hd 800s?

Mojo will definitely get you off the ground with the Eikon, but it really needs tubes (and probably OTL tubes) to sing. Also, I found with the Mojo fed from my MacBook Pro that the sound was pretty congested until I added an iFi iUSBPower in between to clean up the USB signal - then it sounded great! But yeah, sticking a Schiit Valhalla between Mojo and Eikons has really transformed them, so consider Mojo a starting point.

Dunc

Oct 30, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #4,631 of 9,714
I don't expect any answer as my question will probably be too specific, but I ordered an Atticus Paduak and I have an Auralic Taurus mkii (and also an ifi ican pro) and was wondering of it could be a good match?

Oct 31, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #4,633 of 9,714
I have not yet recieved my Atticus, but I can say that ZMF has the most outstanding custommer service I've ever seen from any company in this world. I don't know how Zach is able to manage that much work and attention.
Can't wait to recieve the Atticus!!!!!

Oct 31, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #4,634 of 9,714
I don't expect any answer as my question will probably be too specific, but I ordered an Atticus Paduak and I have an Auralic Taurus mkii (and also an ifi ican pro) and was wondering of it could be a good match?

Seems like the overwhelming majority likes them only on tube amps. I've been seriously considering an Eikon or Atticus purchase (or maybe buying both!) but have put it off several times..tube amps are just not my thing anymore. My main amp ifi iCan SE has power galore..but still uncertain of pairing with them.

Maybe @zach915m can offer an opinion on this, I know he mentioned the ZOTL and Kenzie amps earlier in this thread..does that rule out solid state as a viable option? I also suspect burn-in to be a huge factor with Atticus or Eikon.

@Serge Bernamej would love to eventually hear your Atticus compared to the Alpha Prime. The Prime took 50 hours of run time to get it sounding right, but its still the champion of closed back, imo.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #4,635 of 9,714
Seems like the overwhelming majority likes them only on tube amps. I've been seriously considering an Eikon or Atticus purchase (or maybe buying both!) but have put it off several times..tube amps are just not my thing anymore. My main amp ifi iCan SE has power galore..but still uncertain of pairing with them.

Maybe @zach915m can offer an opinion on this, I know he mentioned the ZOTL and Kenzie amps earlier in this thread..does that rule out solid state as a viable option? I also suspect burn-in to be a huge factor with Atticus or Eikon.

@Serge Bernamej would love to eventually hear your Atticus compared to the Alpha Prime. The Prime took 50 hours of run time to get it sounding right, but its still the champion of closed back, imo.

Tube amps is really just preference and personal taste. I don't think I have come across any headphone that was garbage on a solid state and magically amazing on tubes. I've run my Atticus on NFB-11, R2R 11, Magni 3, and Valhalla 2 and it sounds great out of all of them, with just subtle differences on each. I would probably prefer Valhalla 2 the most, but am absolutely satisfied with any of the solid states as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back