ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Oct 8, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #4,531 of 9,716
Yep the stock pads, at least for the headphones we make will pretty much always work best.

The non perf or perf pads on each other's respective headphones just sound wonky. There will be non perf auteur pads available for the Atticus and eikon which seem to work pretty well though. The larger ear opening just lowers and flattens the bass a little.

In the new few weeks there's going to be a few more earpads listed and a new "pads" page explaining all of them.

Wait, there will be non-perforated Auteur pads? Will we be able to order both versions at pre-order?

Oct 10, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #4,533 of 9,716
Anywhere to check out ZMF headphones in south Florida? I'm around Miami/Ft. Lauderdale. Willing to drive a reasonable distance to try so I don't have to buy and simply hope I like what I hear.

Oct 11, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #4,534 of 9,716
@zach915m, I know you're crazy busy launching products. Still, I can't resist pestering you w/a question that's been on my mind a lot lately: is there an open-back Atticus variant in ZMF's future?

I ask for selfish reasons:
  • I'll hear an Atticus in NYC CanJam--odds are it will blow my mind, based on everything I've read about it
  • But there's something special about a good open back headphone...it breathes with the music. Surely that's part of the rationale for the Auteur: an open-back design building on/augmenting the (evident) sonic strengths of the Eikon.
Does that same reasoning not also apply to the Atticus?

Oct 11, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #4,536 of 9,716
Isn't that why he's including two pad options one leaning towards neutral and the other with a darker tilt?

Well, you'd have to ask that of Zach.

But I suspect the 2 pad options are offered for the Auteur not because of any connection to the Atticus (both the Auteur & Eikon are based on a totally different driver than the Atticus). Sound impressions I've read about the Auteur tend to characterize it as an open-back version of the Eikon, w/great bass and even a bit more neutral quality than the closed back Eikon.

My guess is that the 2 pad options allow the Auteur user to take the Auteur's neutrality straight up; or warm it up just a touch w/the alternate pads.

Oct 12, 2017 at 5:08 AM Post #4,537 of 9,716
Hey All

Dan here ..from Ireland but working between Italy and USA

Any Eikon, Atticus owners in the Bay Area? I will be there from mid December for work and Zach told me that there are no dealers.

I will have my Chord Mojo and Burson Soloist mk2 along with 6XX phones and Sony XBA Z5 hybrid iems in case those are of any interest to you

I just wish to try both headphones and hang out with any local enthusiasts and shoot the crap etc.

Dan

Oct 13, 2017 at 6:13 AM Post #4,539 of 9,716
Probably quite a few of us here have both. In short: I think the Ori is wonderful, but I think the Atticus is even better :) The key words that come to mind for me: The Ori is elegant; the Atticus is bodacious! I like both a lot, and never getting rid of either.

Oct 13, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #4,540 of 9,716
Probably quite a few of us here have both. In short: I think the Ori is wonderful, but I think the Atticus is even better :) The key words that come to mind for me: The Ori is elegant; the Atticus is bodacious! I like both a lot, and never getting rid of either.

Great to hear, I own the Ori and will be ordering an Atticus in the not so distant future

Oct 13, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #4,543 of 9,716
After a few months, I'm still loving both Eikon and Atticus with my Schiit stack. :) These headphones are getting all the playtime whereas my HD800 and LCD-2f are sitting in a corner.

My Atticus is in paduak. I would have it in no other wood. Paduak is simply gorgeous looking. On the same token I love the cherry Eikon just as much. These closed back headphones sound like open backs to me.

20171014_042946.jpg

Oct 13, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #4,544 of 9,716
Just realized I forgot to post my impressions of the Eikon and Atticus from the other site.

Eikon:

Wrote these after a couple weeks with my Eikon. Impressions have remained the same except for me deciding the soundstage was larger on the Eikon than the 650.

Compared to HD800:
+No dip before 6k like the 800. Female vocals and guitars really shine.
+Bass digs deeper and slams appropriatly
+I prefer the overal tone of the mids on the Eikon. Sounds more forward where the 800 can be a little recessed in the upper mids without mods.
-Soundstage not as wide or deep

Compared to HD650:
+Bass is more articulate, doesn't sound as muddy as the 650 can on some systems.
-Not as smooth transition to treble, 650 still king here (Eikons are kinda close I feel)
=Can't decide which midrange I prefer. This is probably a good thing.
=Soudstage about equal, Eikons might has a slight edge but the closed nature gives me the sense the 650 may be a little better.

The upper mids of the Eikon really reminds me of the HD600 (from memory, sold my 600 a couple months ago)

These are definitely a keeper. They sound beautiful from my Sonett 1 on low gain.

...and then my impressions of the Atticus some months later:

Had the Atticus on loaner, here are a few of my notes. My primary headphones are the 800s, Eikon and 650.

Bass:
Oh that glorious bass. I was expecting something a little more bloomy or undefined. What I got was very tight, fast and clean. Mid bass more elevated compared to the Eikon. Running out of my BW, not as much bass as the Ori. I feel like with a bit of EQ, this could be a bassheads delight for the refined basshead.

Mids:
Trying to pick a preference between the Eikon and Atticus is hard here. Clarity is really good on both. The Eikon is a bit smoother here but the dips on the Atticus are not really detracting from the listening experience from what I can tell. Mids on Atticus have good crunch with guitars and female vocals are realistically rendered.

Treble:
I was expecting something rolled off, but extension is quite good. Not as forward as the Eikon and lacks the extension my 800 has. Seems to have a slight dip in the upper mids/lower treble that may contribute to the slightly larger stage I heard on the Atticus in comparison to my Eikon. The dip is not NEARLY as noticeable as it was on the Elear, which I did not like much at all. It is a non issue on the Atticus and just contributes to a larger stage.

I would stay away from overly warm sources with this one. My BW is pretty warm, but still has really good extension at both ends. My Sonett 2 was not the best pairing. Probably due to the more laid back nature of the amp (Vali 2 was also not ideal). On the other hand, my Eikon sounds great out of my Sonett 2.

After comparing the two, I am seriously considering picking up my own pair and possibly selling my Eikon. It serves a more specific purpose next to my 800. A very refined take on a more "fun" type of headphone. The Atticus seems like the natural extension of Zachs house sound from his earlier planar designs without being encumbered by the inherent flaws of the t50rp driver.

After awhile I did end up selling my Eikon for the express intent of buying the Atticus. About a week before I was ready to place my order was when I found out about the Auteur, which is what I wait for now. I will likely still end up with an Atticus as well as they are simply the best (along with the Eikon) overall closed backs I have ever heard.

Having owned every ZMF headphone in the current lineup except for the Classic, I have little doubt the Auteur will do for open headphones what the Atticus and Eikon has done for closed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back