ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Sep 11, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #4,351 of 9,720

In my experience with the Atticus, amps with higher output impedance tend to bring out the mids a little more, and amps with low output impedance tend to make Atticus slam a bit harder. HOWEVER, the individual flavoring of the amps also comes into play. Some OTLs slam pretty dang hard. Some low impedance solid states are light on impact. Atticus won't override the inherent sound signature of your amplifier, but it will combine with your amp's signature to author the final sound: an amp that is heavy on impact and low-impedance will stack to make it hit harder, etc.

FYI @ctaxxxx - most mid-priced gear doesn't slam very hard compared to the high-end, summit-fi stuff. If you want to stay in budget range and get more bass out of the Atticus, I'd cancel the Garage 1217 order and buy the iFi iDSD Micro Black Label - it hits really, really hard for a product that can easily be had in the $400-$500 range.

+1 Micro iDSD. I don't own the Atticus, but rather another hard-slamming headphone (Fostex X00), and the original (non-BL) iDSD matches it perfectly. Not only does it tame the X00's highs, it extracts all the possible detail from the bass without bleeding into the mids, and if the song calls for slam, it slams! There's very little difference in terms of SQ between the original iDSD and BL version - I've actually read the BL is a little shier on the bass - so you can't go wrong with either version.

Hmm... I may actually try it. I've always been curious of that amp. It has a hardware bass boost as well. I'll probably buy both and keep whichever performs better. I just didn't want to drop $1K+ on an OTL tube amp that would be compatible for only one of my headphones.

Sep 11, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #4,352 of 9,720
I don't know why it's taking me so long to pull the trigger on the Atticus. From what i've read so far, it's exactly what i'm looking for. Maybe it's because I don't have an OTL or SET tube amp which are probably the amps to pair with it. I have a Burson V2+. Has anyone heard an Atticus driven by a Burson? I just want the Burson/Atticus combo to be a significant improvement over my Burson/400i planar that I'm currently using.

I mean this really depends on the sound signature you prefer. The he400i is very different from the atticus in the way it presents music. If you like a lush mid-range with an overall warmth to it and a mid bass hump that really gives a punch, the atticus is for you. I previously owned the he400i and in my opinion regardless of source the atticus wins out. The he400i is missing a livliness and depth that the zmf headphones give ultimately making it much less engaging for me.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #4,353 of 9,720
@cptnhindsight, thanks. Yes, I'm looking for a lush, romantic midrange. I listen to a lot of classical and jazz but also a lot of drum and bass so I need a headphone that can go deep and have slam.
I'm not looking for a headphone that does one genre great. I want one that does all three well.

Sep 11, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #4,354 of 9,720
@cptnhindsight, thanks. Yes, I'm looking for a lush, romantic midrange. I listen to a lot of classical and jazz but also a lot of drum and bass so I need a headphone that can go deep and have slam.
I'm not looking for a headphone that does one genre great. I want one that does all three well.

I don't think you would be disappointed to say the very least.

Edit. Although when it comes to deep sub bass the atticus does have its limitations. Definitely doesn't extend as well as the eikon. However the eikon doesn't have the same punch to the mid bass.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #4,355 of 9,720

In my experience with the Atticus, amps with higher output impedance tend to bring out the mids a little more, and amps with low output impedance tend to make Atticus slam a bit harder. HOWEVER, the individual flavoring of the amps also comes into play. Some OTLs slam pretty dang hard. Some low impedance solid states are light on impact. Atticus won't override the inherent sound signature of your amplifier, but it will combine with your amp's signature to author the final sound: an amp that is heavy on impact and low-impedance will stack to make it hit harder, etc.

FYI @ctaxxxx - most mid-priced gear doesn't slam very hard compared to the high-end, summit-fi stuff. If you want to stay in budget range and get more bass out of the Atticus, I'd cancel the Garage 1217 order and buy the iFi iDSD Micro Black Label - it hits really, really hard for a product that can easily be had in the $400-$500 range.

Excellent information. Maybe I've missed something in this thread, but would this suggest the Schiit Jot (high or low imp) wouldn't bring out the full plume of the Atticus? I have a Bimby/Jot that I've come to greatly appreciate and am hoping to be able to try an Atticus.

Atticus sounds like what I'm looking for. I listened to an HE400i for a short while - but just thought it was too thin esp through midbass and lower mids. I have an HE500 I've listened to for the past couple of years, and while it can be amazing in the mids with some good slam, it's just an exhausting headphone after a while that leaves me with a headache, like it has too much upper mid energy. For the past few months I've been listening to a Nighthawk, which apparently the Jot controls well, as it doesn't sound dark as often reported, and I really like its richer tonality. But it can be a bit too relaxing, particularly when I want something heavily engaging (think Tool or Eluveitie). Energy, slam, great vocals (sometimes I can't help myself and have to hear Amy Lee, an Achilles heel apparently), and not a lot of treble energy. I've been reading a lot on the Elear and Atticus. Just really don't want another amp .

Thanks for your thoughts!

[Edit: auto correct made a mess of things so I cleaned up the grammar]

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #4,356 of 9,720
Excellent information. Maybe I've missed something in this thread, but would this suggest the Schiit Jot (high or low imp) wouldn't bring out the full plume of the Atticus? I have a Bimby/Jot that I've come to greatly appreciate and am hoping to be able to try an Atticus.

Atticus sounds like what I'm looking for. I listened to an HE400i for a short while - but just thought it was too thin esp through midbass and lower mids. I have an HE500 I've listened to for the past couple of years, and while it can be amazing in the mids with some good slam, it's just an exhausting headphone after a while that leaves me with a headache, like it has too much upper mid energy. For the past few months I've been listening to a Nighthawk, which apparently the Jot controls well, as it doesn't sound dark as often reported, and I really like its richer tonality. But it can be a bit too relaxing, particularly when I want something heavily engaging (think Tool or Eluveitie). Energy, slam, great vocals (sometimes I can't help myself and have to hear Amy Lee, an Achilles heel apparently), and not a lot of treble energy. I've been reading a lot on the Elear and Atticus. Just really don't want another amp .

I'm hoping you won't be disappointed, as I am in the same boat, having made the same decision and have an Atticus pending.

My thought has been with the Jot's power, clarity and low output impedance, it'll let the Atticus do its thing, and hoping relatively well.

TOTL tube amp to follow.

Sep 11, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #4,357 of 9,720
Just received Eikon and Atticus. No time to try it until tonight but I had a quick look and put it on my head.

These are seriously good looking headphones. I would just buy it for the wood. It is so lovely and exotic. :)

On the head it feels supremely comfortable. The clamp tension is not tight. Just right. It feels so much more comfortable than my LCD-2f !!!

Sep 11, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #4,358 of 9,720
Just received Eikon and Atticus. No time to try it until tonight but I had a quick look and put it on my head.

These are seriously good looking headphones. I would just buy it for the wood. It is so lovely and exotic. :)

On the head it feels supremely comfortable. The clamp tension is not tight. Just right. It feels so much more comfortable than my LCD-2f !!!
Wait till you hear them. Your head will explode!*

*(No, seriously, it might explode at full volume so practice safe listening, and turn it down.)

Sep 11, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #4,359 of 9,720

I'm hoping you won't be disappointed, as I am in the same boat, having made the same decision and have an Atticus pending.

My thought has been with the Jot's power, clarity and low output impedance, it'll let the Atticus do its thing, and hoping relatively well.

TOTL tube amp to follow.

Jotunheim is an excellent amp, and I think you guys should both be happy. Tons of people use that combo. I'm sure it will be nice and punchy, and I feel like the mids on Jot are nicer than most Schiit amps. IMHO, YMMV, etc.

Sep 12, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #4,360 of 9,720
Thanks for all the input here guys, I decided to go with a Bimby+Valhalla2 combo to drive the Atticus. Should make for a enlightening upgrade from an O2 dac/amp combo. Then eventually I'll hunt for a SS upgrade when the wallet recovers.

Any recommendations on optimal connectivity from a PC to a Bimby? SPDIF, Optical SPDIF, USB? Does it even matter?

Sep 12, 2017 at 3:18 AM Post #4,361 of 9,720
Thanks for all the input here guys, I decided to go with a Bimby+Valhalla2 combo to drive the Atticus. Should make for a enlightening upgrade from an O2 dac/amp combo. Then eventually I'll hunt for a SS upgrade when the wallet recovers.

Any recommendations on optimal connectivity from a PC to a Bimby? SPDIF, Optical SPDIF, USB? Does it even matter?
I ran toslink to my Bimby as I found it to be the best available from my system, and a bit better than USB. That is until I upgraded to gen 5 USB. It's frigging fantastic.

If you are buying a Bimby new, just use USB.

Sep 12, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #4,362 of 9,720
I ran toslink to my Bimby as I found it to be the best available from my system, and a bit better than USB. That is until I upgraded to gen 5 USB. It's frigging fantastic.

If you are buying a Bimby new, just use USB.

Interesting, I'm just reading about this Gen 5 upgrade now. Seems like the perfect time to buy a bimby.

What was the issue with earlier usb revisions?

Sep 12, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #4,363 of 9,720
This is my reply to @whirlwind when he ask if I was listening to Eikon and Atticus now. I won't say much more except to repeat what I said to him.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes I am. Sounds amazing. Sample a bit of Eikon first followed by Atticus. It still needs burn in as the headphones feels a bit raw but I am already loving the tone. I can see myself liking these much more than my LCD-2f. I need to do a bit of A/B but initial impressions are very good.

I play Billie Jean and on the Eikon, my teeth was almost knock out. :)

Eikon feels more comfortable. Pads are really cushy and soft. Love it. Am listening to Atticus now. Treble is less pronounced but overall very good on the FR. Solid and enjoyable. I'm just randomly mumbling so excuse my disjointed impressions. These are seriously good sounding headphones. Hats off to Zach. He did a great job.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now for a few obligatory photos. Will post more impressions after I have some solid hours on A & E. By the way, I'm using Yggdrasil and Ragnarok for my initial listen. Source is Roon accessing Tidal HiFi.

20170912_181740.jpg

20170912_181911.jpg

Sep 12, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #4,364 of 9,720
I just wanted to thank @zach915m again. Whether he intended to or not,he has created an absolutely killer headphone for metal!
The Atticus has replaced my trusty and previously undefeated AKG K240 sextetts as my go to metal headphone.

Slam+a textured,brilliant guitar presentation+no mud=metal Valhol

Sep 12, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #4,365 of 9,720
I just wanted to thank @zach915m again. Whether he intended to or not,he has created an absolutely killer headphone for metal!
The Atticus has replaced my trusty and previously undefeated AKG K240 sextetts as my go to metal headphone.

Slam+a textured,brilliant guitar presentation+no mud=metal Valhol

It has dethroned your Sextetts!?!?! This is momentous!
:astonished:
:metal::L3000: :metal:
I feel like everyone should get cake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back