ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Jul 1, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #3,856 of 9,714
The two of you and your reviews, have caused a number of playful "discussions" with the spouse:

"It's how much!?!"

"Babe, it's an end-game amp."

"I have no idea what you just said..."

... I haven't even told her about wanting an Atticus.
:joy::joy::joy:

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #3,857 of 9,714
How do the Atticus and Eikon perform with the NFB-11.28? Is anything more powerful needed?

Also, can anyone give an opinion about which of those two headphones are the best allrounders -- that is just as good for music as for gaming and movies.

Jul 5, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #3,858 of 9,714
The two of you and your reviews, have caused a number of playful "discussions" with the spouse:

"It's how much!?!"

"Babe, it's an end-game amp."

"I have no idea what you just said..."

... I haven't even told her about wanting an Atticus.

"Wait--you want to put the main character from TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD...on your head? To hear music?"

(sound of her cellphone dialing local hitman)

"I have a job for you..."

Jul 5, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #3,859 of 9,714
How do the Atticus and Eikon perform with the NFB-11.28? Is anything more powerful needed?

Also, can anyone give an opinion about which of those two headphones are the best allrounders -- that is just as good for music as for gaming and movies.

Yea the NFB amp will have more than enough power! I liked High Gain on my NFB 10ES2, I would shoot for a Atticus over the Eikon. Atticus is a little funner and does't have as much resolve. So it's not going to be as picky with source material than the Eikon is.

Jul 7, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #3,861 of 9,714
Pharmaboy's brilliant comparison a few pages back was the last straw: I can't wait any longer to get these headphones! After trying to find one (in particuliar the Atticus) used online for several weeks now, I'm almost on the verge of purchasing either of the Eikon and Atticus. With only one exception, the used Atticus'/Eikons on the Sales Forum are in no way worth purchasing. They have exaggerated price tags that have no grounds in reality imo ($1000 for used Eikons? $800 for used Atticus? Come on!), especially considering that you lose the lifetime warranty -- which is of crucial importance. Someone even PMed me and offered me used Ori's, and then told me "good luck" when I offered $600, as he was "looking for $750 USD" -- like I was the low-balling...why are people of the impression that ZMF headphones are worth so much used, relative to its new price, than other used headphones out there?

The Atticus will easily be the biggest step of an upgrade I have ever done since I got interested in headphones, if I decide to buy it. The most expensive headphone I have ever purchased is the M1060 for $299 and the Fidelio X2 before it for $130. The X2 was my first entry into the audiphile society, and it completely blew my socks off when I first got it. It's still my daily driver. So going from something that costs $130 to something that costs $999 is extreme, and will come with quite a few expectations. So much so that It surpasses the spectrum of “brag about how expensive it is” on to “pretend you payed much less than what it actually costs, so people don’t get mad at you”. After reading through this entire thread, where many people have boasted how the Eikon/Atticus is actually cheap for the sound they produce, and how they easily beat every other closed headphones out there, and also rival/beat even more expensive open headphones, it certainly has set the bar high for me.

Although I purchased the M1060 a month back, and certainly enjoyed them over time, I still found them lacking in areas (being “veiled”, having too little bass, etc.) which users in here have commented defines me as a bass head with more interest in “fun” headphones. I don't disagree. I listen to headphones to enjoy my listening session, not to record songs -- I also want something that works terrific in all areas (music, movies, gaming) and in all types of music. The idea of changing headphones when going from one song to another doesn't feel practical to me. And reading through this thread, that's certainly the impression people have given these ZMF headphones; that they are GOAT contenders for their segment, and that they are true end-game allrounder headphones.

What are people's thoughts. Is the Atticus a good end game headphone for someone who enjoys a v shaped sound? Or will the TH-X00/Teak with Lawton mod provide just as good of a sound for a significantly cheaper price?

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #3,862 of 9,714
Pharmaboy's brilliant comparison a few pages back was the last straw: I can't wait any longer to get these headphones! After trying to find one (in particuliar the Atticus) used online for several weeks now, I'm almost on the verge of purchasing either of the Eikon and Atticus. With only one exception, the used Atticus'/Eikons on the Sales Forum are in no way worth purchasing. They have exaggerated price tags that have no grounds in reality imo ($1000 for used Eikons? $800 for used Atticus? Come on!), especially considering that you lose the lifetime warranty -- which is of crucial importance. Someone even PMed me and offered me used Ori's, and then told me "good luck" when I offered $600, as he was "looking for $750 USD" -- like I was the low-balling...why are people of the impression that ZMF headphones are worth so much used, relative to its new price, than other used headphones out there?

The Atticus will easily be the biggest step of an upgrade I have ever done since I got interested in headphones, if I decide to buy it. The most expensive headphone I have ever purchased is the M1060 for $299 and the Fidelio X2 before it for $130. The X2 was my first entry into the audiphile society, and it completely blew my socks off when I first got it. It's still my daily driver. So going from something that costs $130 to something that costs $999 is extreme, and will come with quite a few expectations. So much so that It surpasses the spectrum of “brag about how expensive it is” on to “pretend you payed much less than what it actually costs, so people don’t get mad at you”. After reading through this entire thread, where many people have boasted how the Eikon/Atticus is actually cheap for the sound they produce, and how they easily beat every other closed headphones out there, and also rival/beat even more expensive open headphones, it certainly has set the bar high for me.

Although I purchased the M1060 a month back, and certainly enjoyed them over time, I still found them lacking in areas (being “veiled”, having too little bass, etc.) which users in here have commented defines me as a bass head with more interest in “fun” headphones. I don't disagree. I listen to headphones to enjoy my listening session, not to record songs -- I also want something that works terrific in all areas (music, movies, gaming) and in all types of music. The idea of changing headphones when going from one song to another doesn't feel practical to me. And reading through this thread, that's certainly the impression people have given these ZMF headphones; that they are GOAT contenders for their segment, and that they are true end-game allrounder headphones.

What are people's thoughts. Is the Atticus a good end game headphone for someone who enjoys a v shaped sound? Or will the TH-X00/Teak with Lawton mod provide just as good of a sound for a significantly cheaper price?

I do not find either the A nor the E to be V-shaped.If they were I'd have zero interest

signed,

a confirmed mids-head

Jul 7, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #3,864 of 9,714
I havent heard the M1060 so i cannot comment.

The Atticus is the one im getting and have heard it twice...it is quite different sounding based upon what type of amp you use to drive it.However what has remained consistent from amp to amp are slightly rolled off highs,which appeals to me.

For a point of reference I used to own the HD600 and found that to be more veiled than what I prefer...the Atticus in no way sounded veiled to me....YMMV.

If you like detail mongering HPs then theyre might be better choices out there.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #3,865 of 9,714

If they are in paduak, $1000 for an Eikon is a great price at $400 off new and no wait time. Same for the Atticus at $800. Subtract another $50-100 if in cherry. The inflated prices I'm seeing are the people asking $1200 for a used cherry Eikon, THAT is overpriced and better off buying new. (I could make a good argument to buy new either way, that lifetime driver warranty is excellent and really puts certain other planar manufacturers to shame)

Less veil and more bass than the M1060 is all I want. That's at least the impression I have gotten about these...or am I wrong?

I have not heard the M1060, but find the Eikon to have less veil than an HD650 that is under-amped. Listening to the Eikon on my Black Widow right now and it is a lively experience. However know that Zach tunes his headphones in a downward slope generally speaking, so these will not have the treble liveliness of something like an HD800 or anything made by Beyer.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #3,866 of 9,714

I have two Eikons and an Ori. I don't really need all but one of them. With that said, if you offered me less than $1000 for the Eikon or $700 for the Ori, I honestly think I'd straight up laugh in your face.

Value is different for us all, and I see the point you are trying to make, but disagree with "the used Atticus'/Eikons on the Sales Forum are in no way worth purchasing".

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #3,867 of 9,714
If they are in paduak, $1000 for an Eikon is a great price at $400 off new and no wait time. Same for the Atticus at $800. Subtract another $50-100 if in cherry. The inflated prices I'm seeing are the people asking $1200 for a used cherry Eikon, THAT is overpriced and better off buying new. (I could make a good argument to buy new either way, that lifetime driver warranty is excellent and really puts certain other planar manufacturers to shame)

I have not heard the M1060, but find the Eikon to have less veil than an HD650 that is under-amped. Listening to the Eikon on my Black Widow right now and it is a lively experience. However know that Zach tunes his headphones in a downward slope generally speaking, so these will not have the treble liveliness of something like an HD800 or anything made by Beyer.

Every one sells at different values, but we are a NOT for Profit sale Forum. So at most you'll only be paying up to the new price. You can also look at getting a b Stock from Zach! That comes with the warranty, but doesn't qualify for a return

Truthfully, I'd grab the Atticus, lots of bass, good quality, plenty of detail and beautiful mids

Price wise I've seen them as low as $700

Jul 7, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #3,869 of 9,714
@zach915m

Any special edition wood options coming down the line for the Atticus and/or Eikon?

I think the new-style cups on the A/E would showcase the other woods extremely well.

If yes, I vote balsa wood.

Jul 7, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #3,870 of 9,714
Not sure I should be telling you guys since Zach emailed me an update on my order.

They are getting Camphor wood either by the end of this weekend or the beginning of the next week.

He even sent me a picture with a quote on the wood's characteristics:

"Just about the same density with Cherry with tighter pores for a slightly faster sound and really nice "air" to the timbre. In a short time it's become on one of my favorite woods."
camphor-2.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back