ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
May 15, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #3,676 of 9,748
I'm having a bit of trouble deciding between buying the LCD-X or the ZMF Eikon.

Would anyone be able to give a comparsion? Any opinions regardless?

Thanks!

May 15, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #3,677 of 9,748

Thanks!
would like to know as well

May 15, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #3,678 of 9,748

Thanks!

You're comparing: closed vs open, dynamic vs planar, and 300ohm vs 20ohm. Very different beasts. That doesn't even include the appearance preference of wood or metal.

The only thing similar about them is that they both use mini-XLR connectors.

May 15, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #3,680 of 9,748

Thanks!

Different type of sound. The Eikon is much more dynamic, punchy and smooth. The LCD-X has a roughness, dryness to it's sound. Bass extension is similar but the X has a linear bass, the X doesn't quite have the body that Eikon does.

The mids are also quite different. The Eikon has more present, full bodied mid range while the X has a leaner mid range with an upper mid dip.

Staging is similar, more compression with the X. Resolution and micro detail go to the Eikon I don't find the X partically resolving.
Eikon is darker but treble feels more cohesive where the X has a weirdly integrated treble, it's quite rough sounding.

Last edited:
May 15, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #3,681 of 9,748
Different type of sound. The Eikon is much more dynamic, punchy and smooth. The LCD-X has a roughness, dryness to it's sound. Bass extension is similar but the X has a linear bass, the X doesn't quite have the body that Eikon does.

The mids are also quite different. The Eikon has more present, full bodied mid range while the X has a leaner mid range with an upper mid dip.

Staging is similar, more compression with the X. Resolution and micro detail go to the Eikon I sign find the X partially resolving.
Eikon is darker but treble feels more cohesive where the X has a weirdly integrated treble, it's quote rough sounding.
Ding ding ding

May 15, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #3,683 of 9,748
My Padauk Atticus shipped! Should be here next week.

I have a Cayin iDac-6 and WA7 Fireflies with CBS Hytron psu tubes. Pretty pumped.

What number are you on the list, I am no.2 and it has been machining padauk for the past month...

May 16, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #3,684 of 9,748
What number are you on the list, I am no.2 and it has been machining padauk for the past month...

Thankfully our padauk has arrived and my guys and I have been working hard all day sanding and finishing this new batch. I hate any delays as it makes me incredibly anxious knowing so many people are waiting for their Padauk Eikons and Atticus', but thankfully we will have large batches of Padauk headphones shipping within the next week and continuously after that.

My wife @BooUrns to bring some humor to us being out of padauk made this for me when I found out we'd actually be getting the wood in today. So silly. OK back to sanding.

Zach Salt Bae- glasses.jpg

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 16, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #3,686 of 9,748
Can anyone compare the Atticus to the pre-fazor LCD 2? I see the Atticus being described as Dark, but how much so? I didn't like the pre-fazor model, because it sounded too muffled/veiled. However, I don't mind the HD 650 veil at all.

Was thinking of getting both the Eikon (Padauk) and Atticus (Cherry), but the latter first since Padauk wood is a bit behind. If you order both, do you have to wait until they ship together, or will they ship separate?

May 16, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #3,687 of 9,748
Stopped getting notifications for this thread, so... @Kozic yeah, it can be a PITA while they get the bugs out.

@DruidxEFD You prefer the Project over the Violectric? I'd appreciate it if you could talk a little about the sound difference.

I ordered a balanced cable with the Eikon because I was thinking of getting a Jotunheim (The Violectric's look really good too...heard it out of a V281 and it was fantastic....but a used V181 or V200 would likely suit me fine) but I would up finding a used Hugo & I went with that for a DAC. Single ended it is just about everything I want (the amp is great too IMO) so I'm torn about going balanced or selling the cable & diving into the Tube rabbit hole (both would be overkill.[?]) Any help would be appreciated....thanks!

May 16, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #3,688 of 9,748
Stopped getting notifications for this thread, so... @Kozic yeah, it can be a PITA while they get the bugs out.

@DruidxEFD You prefer the Project over the Violectric? I'd appreciate it if you could talk a little about the sound difference.

Please note that I don't have an Eikon or Atticus. My experience is with the HD800 and the Blackwood, and I prefer both with the Project Ember, but not by leaps and bounds. Also, the sound of the Ember is tube dependent and I'm using dual Zenith 6J5G tubes that cost ~$100 when I bought them + $15 for an adapter.

I find the sound of the Violectric to be actually darker than the Ember with my tubes, and also not quite as clear and detailed, nor as dynamic sounding. To be fair, I don't dislike the sound of the Violectric at all, and I could definitely see others with different tastes preferring it. I'm not put off by bright sounding treble, as can be attested by the fact that I prefer my HD800 unmodded (although I do use EQ to tame the treble.)

May 16, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #3,689 of 9,748
Does anyone have recommendations for sub-$1000 tube amps to go with the Eikon?

I've traditionally only had SS amps but would very much like to dip my toes into tube amps. I've read about quite a few pairings but everything appears to be out of my budget unfortunately.

From what I understand, the Lyr 2 goes well with the ATticus, but I'm not sure how well it goes with the Eikon. It seems like it would be a decent combo, but the Lyr2 seems to do better with super-warm headphones.

That said, I think the Valhalla 2 would be a good, cheap amp to combo with the Eikon, especially if you get the Bimby with it.

May 16, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #3,690 of 9,748
Please note that I don't have an Eikon or Atticus. My experience is with the HD800 and the Blackwood, and I prefer both with the Project Ember, but not by leaps and bounds. Also, the sound of the Ember is tube dependent and I'm using dual Zenith 6J5G tubes that cost ~$100 when I bought them + $15 for an adapter.

I find the sound of the Violectric to be actually darker than the Ember with my tubes, and also not quite as clear and detailed, nor as dynamic sounding. To be fair, I don't dislike the sound of the Violectric at all, and I could definitely see others with different tastes preferring it. I'm not put off by bright sounding treble, as can be attested by the fact that I prefer my HD800 unmodded (although I do use EQ to tame the treble.)

Thanks, much appreciated! I've got some listening to do for sure.Those project amps sure look smexy, or is it just me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back