ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Mar 12, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #2,671 of 9,714
Like I said, the CSP3 can't drive orthos.

For those of us who don't want to invest in tube amps to suit just 1 pr of headphones--also don't want to drop $3K on a mega-SS amp--can you recommend anything SS that's $1K-$2K?

I just ordered a Liquid Carbon for my Ori (want to hear it via balanced connection), was hoping that might suffice if I ever get an Atticus. I also have a very powerful amp whose real game is finesse, soundstaging & note separation, not the usual bass-in-your-face SS onslaught (Audio GD SA-31SE). I'm holding out hope that this rather wonderful amp can also work w/the Atticus (eventually).

The other amp I've been jonesing for hard lately is the Violectric v281. Seems pretty clear it will be terrific w/the Ori and my low impedance dynamic closed back HPs. But the Atticus? Again, I have questions there.

I'm getting the sense that the Atticus reacts kind of counter-intuitively to powerful SS amps: ie, you expect it to open up and get better, but it may go in the other direction. That makes it kinda hard to plan for.

Mar 12, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #2,674 of 9,714
For those of us who don't want to invest in tube amps to suit just 1 pr of headphones--also don't want to drop $3K on a mega-SS amp--can you recommend anything SS that's $1K-$2K?

I just ordered a Liquid Carbon for my Ori (want to hear it via balanced connection), was hoping that might suffice if I ever get an Atticus. I also have a very powerful amp whose real game is finesse, soundstaging & note separation, not the usual bass-in-your-face SS onslaught (Audio GD SA-31SE). I'm holding out hope that this rather wonderful amp can also work w/the Atticus (eventually).

The other amp I've been jonesing for hard lately is the Violectric v281. Seems pretty clear it will be terrific w/the Ori and my low impedance dynamic closed back HPs. But the Atticus? Again, I have questions there.

I'm getting the sense that the Atticus reacts kind of counter-intuitively to powerful SS amps: ie, you expect it to open up and get better, but it may go in the other direction. That makes it kinda hard to plan for.

I mean look, there are degrees to everything. Please take that into account. That being said, I am trying to figure out the Atticus mystery and isolate the variable behind the super synergy with the DecWare.

Mar 12, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #2,675 of 9,714
Look into the iFi iCan Pro, it has a higher (than most) output impedance, at 4ohm for balanced out, should help with lowering the damping factor.

I'll report back when I get my A&E set. I imagined they will pair well with both of my amps, iCan Pro and Glenn 300B.

Mar 12, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #2,677 of 9,714
Well I can confirm that the Dragon Inspire IHA-1 works well with the Eikon. Very clean and dynamic. Wide staging with a little added depth, which is common for good tube amps, but none of the tube bloom which is refreshing to me.

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #2,679 of 9,714
Well I can confirm that the Dragon Inspire IHA-1 works well with the Eikon. Very clean and dynamic. Wide staging with a little added depth, which is common for good tube amps, but none of the tube bloom which is refreshing to me.

That's a great amp.

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #2,680 of 9,714
That's a great amp.

Yeah I'm quite happy with it. The transformer upgrade seems to help a lot, I've read issues about it being anemic when it comes to power but it has quite a bit of oomph with the upgrade.

edit: Mother of God what don't you own.

Mar 13, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #2,681 of 9,714
I mean look, there are degrees to everything. Please take that into account. That being said, I am trying to figure out the Atticus mystery and isolate the variable behind the super synergy with the DecWare.

Didn't mean to put a full-court press on you here. It's just that ;you're one of the few (and first) people to comment in detail on the Atticus. If memory serves you heard both A&E in pre-pro form, not to mention tried various amps on each.

I like most of what I hear about the Atticus, but it sounds like getting an amp to really bring out its best means paying attention to "damping factor"--which isn't even listed for many amps in my experience.

Just checked the Violectric v281, and they actually do list it:

Damping factor  (Load 50 Ohm): 500 unbal. / 250 bal.

Problem is I don't know if even the lower number is considered "low" (+ the impedance they measure at is 1/6th of the impedance of the Atticus).

Mar 13, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #2,682 of 9,714
Can someone tell me which page is correct? 
Quote from the Product Page Atticus and Eikon FAQ:
  Every set of Eikon and Atticus headphones will come with two sets of pads, one set of Eikon Pads and one set of Omni pads. Although the Omni pads have a smaller diameter, they fit well on the Eikon and Atticus cups. 

The Eikon pads leave the ear closer to the driver and have more surface area for a smoother sound, while the Omni pads are slightly smaller in diameter and keep the ear further from the driver for a touch more stage and linearity.

Quote from the individual store pages:
INCLUDES:
  1. ZMF Atticus TPE Driver Dynamic Headphone/
  2. ZMF Eikon Biocellulose Driver Dynamic Headphone
  3. ZMF Eikon Pads
  4. Lambskin headband padding
  5. Natural hand applied varnish
  6. Stock Cable
  7. Seahorse SE430 or S3 6500 Case
  8. Owners Card and Manual

The product page says it includes both sets of pads, but the individual pages and combo deal say they just include Eikon pads. Can someone clarify this for me?

Mar 13, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #2,683 of 9,714

Didn't mean to put a full-court press on you here. It's just that ;you're one of the few (and first) people to comment in detail on the Atticus. If memory serves you heard both A&E in pre-pro form, not to mention tried various amps on each.

I like most of what I hear about the Atticus, but it sounds like getting an amp to really bring out its best means paying attention to "damping factor"--which isn't even listed for many amps in my experience.

Just checked the Violectric v281, and they actually do list it:

Damping factor  (Load 50 Ohm): 500 unbal. / 250 bal.

Problem is I don't know if even the lower number is considered "low" (+ the impedance they measure at is 1/6th of the impedance of the Atticus).

At CanJam NYC I heard Eikon with stock cable driven by V281 and was surprised how great it sounded so it will have no problems driving Atticus as well

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Mar 13, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #2,684 of 9,714
Can someone tell me which page is correct? 
The product page says it includes both sets of pads, but the individual pages and combo deal say they just include Eikon pads. Can someone clarify this for me?

Oops, never mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back