ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Mar 10, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #2,626 of 9,714
My 1st reaction to your question was, "What does ice cream sound like?" Obviously I haven't heard whatever you refer to here.

I just googled it and all I get is ice cream stuff.

??

You compared the amount of noises to flavors of ice cream, so I was just being silly and asked how a flavor of ice cream sounded.

Mar 10, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #2,629 of 9,714
At CanJam NYC I have tried Eikon with 3 different cables I own and Norne audio Vanquish was my favorite and I prefer Decaware amp combo over the Milo amp Zach also had at the show

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Mar 10, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #2,630 of 9,714
At CanJam NYC I have tried Eikon with 3 different cables I own and Norne audio Vanquish was my favorite and I prefer Decaware amp combo over the Milo amp Zach also had at the show

Nice, Vanquish is a hybrid similar to the Forza Claire.  What did you find about the Vanquish that's better than stock.

Btw, what's the stock cable made out of?

Mar 10, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #2,631 of 9,714
Nice, Vanquish is a hybrid similar to the Forza Claire.  What did you find about the Vanquish that's better than stock.

The stock cable is similar to the Audeze stock cable in quality.

Mar 11, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #2,632 of 9,714
I would recommend you to try Amara 4 for Windows instead of Foobar

Now that my headphones, amp and dac are burned-in, I downloaded the trial for Amarra 4 and compared it head-to-head with Foobar2000 while bouncing back on forth on the same songs. Amarra 4 seems fuller to me and there are slightly more details from Amarra 4. I also noticed Amarra 4 put out a higher volume than Foobar2000 as I had to adjust the volume to volume match. Amarra 4 just sounds better to me. Thanks for the recommendation!

I plan on purchasing Amarra 4 this weekend.

Mar 11, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #2,633 of 9,714
I've found that I much prefer the Ori pads on the Eikon. Gives me a better seal than the Eikon pads I believe as the mid bass is tamed slightly and the sub bass is raised more in-line giving it much cleaner bass impact and texture. That's likely down to anatomy, as a friend of mine has the opposite happen for him with the Ori pads, the bass increases and loses definition for him. I also find the Ori pads to add some treble that makes them a little less smooth sounding and more dynamic. It is certainly worth a try for anyone who has both pads.

On another note, the Eikon and presumably the Atticus seem to be very positional, almost reminiscent of the HD800. I really recommend trying out different positions for the cups. I find what is most comfortable and instinctual to not be the same position as what sounds the best.

Mar 11, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #2,634 of 9,714

There's a more balanced presentation of bass, better clarity and details retrieval. With cable Zach had bass was more forward but still not bleeding into mids, but still too much for my taste. The Draug 2 I have also tried had slightly more prominent bass than Vanquish but less than the one Zach used

Mar 11, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #2,635 of 9,714
I would recommend you to try Amara 4 for Windows instead of Foobar

Now that my headphones, amp and dac are burned-in, I downloaded the trial for Amarra 4 and compared it head-to-head with Foobar2000 while bouncing back on forth on the same songs. Amarra 4 seems fuller to me and there are slightly more details from Amarra 4. I also noticed Amarra 4 put out a higher volume than Foobar2000 as I had to adjust the volume to volume match. Amarra 4 just sounds better to me. Thanks for the recommendation!

Happy to know you enjoying Amara 4, with my setup difference is too noticeable

Mar 11, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #2,636 of 9,714

I experienced much the same when comparing JRiver Media Center to foobar.

Foobar just isn't good.

Mar 11, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #2,638 of 9,714
Can anyone compare well amped Atticus/Eikon and TH-X00 in terms of dynamics?

I have both on Apex Peak. Atticus has a nice signature, pretty much in line with reviews, but sounds relatively soft. Dynamics are nowhere near TH-X00. Eikon is similar. How are things on other amps?

Mar 11, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #2,639 of 9,714
I have tried MC 20 as well before but heard no noticeable difference but had several issues

I tried Media Center too, but did not like the complexity. I use dpPoweramp for burning CDs and changing to other codecs along with MP3Tag for metadata. Amarra 4 will fill my needs nicely as a simple player only, which is what I want.

Mar 11, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #2,640 of 9,714
Can anyone compare well amped Atticus/Eikon and TH-X00 in terms of dynamics?

I have both on Apex Peak. Atticus has a nice signature, pretty much in line with reviews, but sounds relatively soft. Dynamics are nowhere near TH-X00. Eikon is similar. How are things on other amps?

Try Ori pads on the Eikon. Much more dynamic for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back