ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Mar 9, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #2,596 of 9,763

I actually tuned both these headphones primarily on an Audio GD master 11 so it should be pretty good.  I also test on a Decware Taboo and CSP and Cavalli Liquid Gold and Dragonfly (black) as well as testing out of my LG V10.    Between solid state and/or OTL it really comes down to taste, I've heard numerous different OTL's alone sound very different from the Atticus.

Wow...a Dragonfly? How did that sound?

Mar 9, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #2,599 of 9,763
Also eye for the new Echobox flagship, just wonder comparing to Periodic Be which one is closer to ZMF's sound.

Oh you mean these? :wink:

Yes, the Nomad is absolutely fantastic. Working on a review for that as well.

Mar 9, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #2,600 of 9,763
Did someone tried the Eikon with the Chord Mojo ? How's the synergy ?

I'm obviously not planning to only use the Eikon with the Mojo but sometimes I like to be able to use my headphones around the house with a portable device.

Stillhart might have by now.

Mar 9, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #2,601 of 9,763
Is there anyone who has been able to compare a Cherry Atticus with a Padauk Atticus? Just curious how much of a difference that really makes.

The wood choice is not significant on sound changes. Neither wood can make either headphone closer to matching sound. Get the wood you like best aesthetically.

Mar 9, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #2,602 of 9,763

I'm obviously not planning to only use the Eikon with the Mojo but sometimes I like to be able to use my headphones around the house with a portable device.

Stillhart might have by now.

Nope, waiting for Zach to send over one that he didn't hulksmash with his big manly muscles. I'll test when it comes in though.

Mar 9, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #2,604 of 9,763
I just bought an Ori... so, cheap as I can get away with? lol

I don't mind saving up. Should be getting a nice refund from Uncle Sam, but some of it is spoken for already.

I guess the budget is whatever it has to be. (I'm hoping you're not going to say the Roxanne - I don't use IEMs enough to justify that purchase.) I just find it annoying that the IEMs I have sounds muddy flabby and unclear compared to my Eikon. If I could get a minimum tonal change between the two, my inner-audiophile-child would quit throwing tantrums.

You bought an Ori? Which one, if I may ask?

I will be fascinated to read any comments you care to post about the comparative sound of the Ori vs Atticus.

I am loving my relatively new Ori. Feels like I went from the 2nd floor straight to the Penthouse, in terms of what this headphone can do compared to any of my others. I also think there's plenty of upside left to explore w/the Ori re my current amps + a new one I'm contemplating. And I still have yet to hear hi-rez audio files.

(despite all that, I'm jonesing for an Atticus...go figure)

Mar 9, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #2,605 of 9,763
Nope, waiting for Zach to send over one that he didn't hulksmash with his big manly muscles. I'll test when it comes in though.

I was in a meeting, and glanced at my phone. I LOL'd at the most inappropriate moment... I won't get into details, but the evil eye from the boss was epic.

You bought an Ori? Which one, if I may ask?

I will be fascinated to read any comments you care to post about the comparative sound of the Ori vs Atticus.

I am loving my relatively new Ori. Feels like I went from the 2nd floor straight to the Penthouse, in terms of what this headphone can do compared to any of my others. I also think there's plenty of upside left to explore w/the Ori re my current amps + a new one I'm contemplating. And I still have yet to hear hi-rez audio files.

(despite all that, I'm jonesing for an Atticus...go figure)

Unfortunately, I don't have the Atticus any more.

I got the Ormosia Henryi wood Ori. :D

Having heard both (once my Ori arrives) I would be happy to provide a crappy-from-memory comparison. :wink:

Mar 9, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #2,606 of 9,763
Oh nice!  Did you buy that new?  And if so, how long did it take?  I imagine the A & E will both sound amazing on it.  Congrats!

Thanks! Bought new from EC. Put in the order / first payment back in October, so there was a bit of a wait. But early impressions indicate the wait was not in vain - really brings my HD650s and 580s to life!

Mar 9, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #2,607 of 9,763

I've only had my ZMF Eikon for a day and this is just my initial impressions but surprisingly the Chord Mojo can actually drive the ZMF Eikons decently well.

Obviously not as good as my Mjolnir 2 + Gumby set up. The pairing reminds me of the pairing with the Ether C. Similar to my experience with the Ether C, the Chord Mojo makes the ZMF Eikon sound warmer and I would say the strength in the set up is the bass and the vocals. Though I don't know if it's the chord mojo or the headphones but if it's a track that's badly mastered, it's kind of apparent with this set up but it's still enjoyable.

My Mjolnir 2 + Gumby set up had a bigger soundstage, better separation and better detail retrieval. The Chord Mojo sounds bassier imo than my main set up and has a smaller soundstage and a more "in your head sound" than my main set up.

But I think the Chord Mojo does a decent job and this can be a portable set up around the house. Hope this helps. Let me know if there are any specifics you are looking for.

I personally find it easier to drive the ZMF Eikon than the HD 650 with the Chord Mojo.

Mar 9, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #2,608 of 9,763

I'll be getting to that in the next day or two.

Mar 9, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #2,609 of 9,763
It only took me about 20 minutes (they're so big it's hard to get every ring-tab sealed), but I got the Eikon pads on the TH900's and they sound great on them. Mids are still sucked out and highs are still a bit too hot, but there's mods to help with those.

Mar 9, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #2,610 of 9,763
It only took me about 20 minutes (they're so big it's hard to get every ring-tab sealed), but I got the Eikon pads on the TH900's and they sound great on them. Mids are still sucked out and highs are still a bit too hot, but there's mods to help with those.

Tuck the leather under the notches, it helps keep them out of the way. Love my Teak w/ them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back