ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Feb 8, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #2,026 of 9,714
I think the new dynamics are pretty easy to drive and because of that, most good solid states sound similar with them.. Tubes seem open the new dynamics up a bit more though and really cope with uniqueness of them. The mojo drove the eikon very well like most of the solid states but noticeably very detailed, good weight to the bass and great dynamics. Perfect for all genres.. If I chose a solid state for the eikon or the Atticus is would be the chord products above the mojo as they do their own special thing of really flattening out the dynamics and adding a super smooth texture and drawing out a VERY insightful micro-dynamics. This unique sound really paired well with the eikon in particular as the air in the upper midrange is a bit elevated and the chord sound really brought the mids together as a whole a little more than usual and making it ridiculously visual and musical. Probably not the best for electronic or pop music though.

Feb 8, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #2,027 of 9,714
I think the new dynamics are pretty easy to drive and because of that, most good solid states sound similar with them.. Tubes seem open the new dynamics up a bit more though and really cope with uniqueness of them. The mojo drove the eikon very well like most of the solid states but noticeably very detailed, good weight to the bass and great dynamics. Perfect for all genres.. If I chose a solid state for the eikon or the Atticus is would be the chord products above the mojo as they do their own special thing of really flattening out the dynamics and adding a super smooth texture and drawing out a VERY insightful micro-dynamics. This unique sound really paired well with the eikon in particular as the air in the upper midrange is a bit elevated and the chord sound really brought the mids together as a whole a little more than usual and making it ridiculously visual and musical. Probably not the best for electronic or pop music though.

ok... So any portable recommendations for pop music? :)
ESS Sabre or AKM or Ti?

Feb 8, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #2,028 of 9,714
Budget? The bass on the the Zmf dynamics is amazing and I'd be curious to try an oppo portable with bass boost for fun and mojo for pure fidelity

Feb 8, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #2,029 of 9,714
Everyone was really impressed with the Atticus and Eikon at the NYC CanJam, myself included. However, most told us they sounded better on our demo system then the setup Zach was using. Sorry Zach didn't mean to out do you, but these new models do sound great on a solid state rig. :)

My assistants really enjoyed them!

Feb 8, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #2,030 of 9,714
Everyone was really impressed with the Atticus and Eikon at the NYC CanJam, myself included. However, most told us they sounded better on our demo system then the setup Zach was using. Sorry Zach didn't mean to out do you, but these new models do sound great on a solid state rig. :)

Was Zach using his Decware tube amp or the Wells Audio Milo (ss) Amp?

Feb 8, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #2,032 of 9,714
Hard to argue with Decware amps. A little warm perhaps for my taste, but most people find them more neutral than anything and they definitely perform well. No soft tube bass on the Taboo, for sure.

Feb 8, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #2,033 of 9,714
Everyone was really impressed with the Atticus and Eikon at the NYC CanJam, myself included. However, most told us they sounded better on our demo system then the setup Zach was using. Sorry Zach didn't mean to out do you, but these new models do sound great on a solid state rig.
smily_headphones1.gif

What is the solid state rig? - can't discern from the pics. Thanks :)

Feb 8, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #2,035 of 9,714
Oh nice I have that amp. Will try it with these cans.

Feb 8, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #2,037 of 9,714
Good seeing you @ArthurPower - that V281 is a monster, I miss my old one.  =(

What was the last word on the ZMF Sonnare?

We've gone through a ton of rounds of final tweaks, the design is done as we just need to switch the volume knob for a final volume curve needs.  After this final unit is built if we find out a way to build it consistently we will release it, it's a slow process though, so nothing is truly imminent.

As far as amps, I hope to list the decware amps on our website sometime in the near future as I love how they match with all ZMF's. 

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Feb 8, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #2,038 of 9,714
I still love having some tubes here and there in the audio chain even though Fried Reim hates them. He is a specifications guy and seeing that much distortion on his oscilloscope makes him through the tubes across the room and use transistors instead. lol

The nice thing about tubes is you can always roll them and tweak the sound to your preference. The bad thing about tubes is you never stop rolling tubes. It becomes an addiction!

Feb 9, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #2,039 of 9,714
Super late reply (haven't been on HF for a few weeks)

Quote:

Those headphones are insanely beautiful. There is nothing else this pretty out there--not even close.

I just ordered the Omni/Ori in ormosia henryi (my favorite of Zach's woods--though your picture is giving me heart palpitations!) because I've been wanting them for many months. And later this year, I'll face the same dilemma you have right now...various reviews of the Atticus (including Hansotek's) are making it intensely interesting to me.

But if I stepped up and got an Atticus, I'd just have to live w/the fact I own 2 flagship headphones costing ~as much as I used to pay for a decent used car. "This is the path I've chosen."

And at that point, my wife may well have me committed in the PAO (Pathologic Audio Obsession) sanitarium. Oh, well. Fish gotta fly and birds gotta swim...

Thanks!  Zach really did an amazing job on the Bocote ones.  They look just as good in person too.  But man, I really want an Eikon :)   I know I would regret selling these though.

I was thinking you should sell me these regardless. Keep the cycle going... 
wink.gif

Hahah true enough.  It is tempting though.  If I were to eventually get an Eikon, either the Ori or the HE6 will have to go...not sure on which though... Why did Zach have to make these so damn sexy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back