ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Jan 15, 2017 at 2:06 AM Post #1,726 of 9,716
This is really good advice--extra good because it comes from a current Omni owner.

I also appreciate @echineko
's comment about the Elise being the best of the tube options (it figures--most expensive, too!). Seriously, I've been getting that impression as I read about all 3.

This feedback is making me realize something: I've been kind of freaking out because I have a flagship planar headphone (Ori) on order, one I've been jonesing for like crazy for months. So I'm scurrying around researching amps like that's some kind of priority. But in fact, I already have 2 very worthy HP amps (both SE) which I really ought to use on the Omni/Ori for weeks or months to "get its measure":

-- Lake People/Violectric G109A. It's widely described as a very good amp for just about any headphone, and that has certainly been my experience. It has plenty of power (never bothered changing the internal jumpers from lowest gain)

-- and the Burson Soloist, not the SL, but the big honking 4W version that doubles as a preamp. That has been kind of problematic w/all my current easy-to-drive headphones (and as a preamp, with my relatively sensitive powered speakers), but it may be just the thing for the Omni/Ori. Again, I've never bothered changing the gain from Low, and that might be perfect w/the Ori--in effect, I  could get that stepped pot into some of those upper steps I never go near now.

(in other words, I need to just calm down)

The burson soloist could work very well.

I had it with my hd800. Great priced amp.
I had paired it with the arcam irdac - a great value combo.
The irdac brought some lushness and warmth to the mids.
Your omni already has that - so youre good to go

My set up had great detail and nice bottom end.

The soloist is quite often spoken very well for he560 and lcd range so should be good for the omni. I couldnt see why it wouldnt be good

I ended up upgrading to a wa2 (for my hd800) when i heard some more expensive amps - that was my fault for listening to them.

Jan 15, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #1,727 of 9,716
I ended up upgrading to a wa2 (for my hd800) when i heard some more expensive amps - that was my fault for listening to them.

LOL!  I know that feeling well...

Jan 15, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #1,728 of 9,716
Mine is a Delta Unisaw. Higher quality saws are 240V. Also, for a true 3 hp motor, one needs 240V. The extra horsepower is very nice when cutting really hard woods. The better saws generally have better fences and controls. The link below is the same saw, but might be updated some since I bought mine 5 years ago.

http://www.deltamachinery.com/products/table-saws/item/36-l352

Now asking why I need it is like asking why we need anything beyond and Apple iPod and Apple earbuds.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ahh, the unisaw. Know it well.

I absolutely needed this (or a distinctly better/larger 120V table) for the big-scale woodwork I've done. But it would never fit the space I had, nor could I get 220V to it. Just one more thing I wanted but could never have.

(sorry we're so far off topic here--though WOOD is part of the ZMF line, so it's ~.05% on topic)

Jan 15, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #1,729 of 9,716
, nor could I get 220V to it. Just one more thing I wanted but could never have.

I added a sub breaker beside my breaker box and it feeds three 220V outlets. It wasn't too difficult, but one just has to use the correct wire gauge between the two breaker boxes. Also, the correct breaker size needs to be feeding the sub breaker from the main breaker box.

As to the saw, it is on a mobile base so I can move it to the side when not using it.

Sorry for the off topic.

Back to ZMF Atticus and Eikon........

Jan 15, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #1,730 of 9,716
The burson soloist could work very well.

I had it with my hd800. Great priced amp.
I had paired it with the arcam irdac - a great value combo.
The irdac brought some lushness and warmth to the mids.
Your omni already has that - so youre good to go

My set up had great detail and nice bottom end.

The soloist is quite often spoken very well for he560 and lcd range so should be good for the omni. I couldnt see why it wouldnt be good

Great comments! And a reminder that I already have a couple well above-average SS HP amps on hand to get a good reading of the Omni/Ori.

I'd still like to explore balanced someday, not just for the Ori, but also for the Atticus I'm likely to get later this year. With headphones of that quality, it seems silly to not try balanced...

Jan 15, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #1,731 of 9,716
  I do think the Omni needs lots of juice. I recommended the OD300 because I know it has plenty of power for planars and an extremely low noise floor. Its a pretty obscure amp but I will be ordering one shortly because of the enthusiastic reviews their other products have received.

Review: http://headphone.guru/the-mapletree-audio-sugarmaple-od300-headphone-amplifier-one-smooth-player/

Can't wait to hear how this sounds for you (w/Omni & whatever else). Very interesting amp...never heard of it until your post about it.

Jan 17, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #1,732 of 9,716
Sure is quiet around these parts... 

Jan 17, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #1,734 of 9,716
I have it on good authority that Zach spent all weekend tanning and stretching leather for the pads.

Jan 17, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #1,737 of 9,716
Sure is quiet around these parts... 

The calm before the storm. :)

I've been doing everything I can to keep my mind off it, because otherwise I'll go nuts.

Err... OK, I'm already nuts, but why compound the issue, eh?

I know Zach must be working his butt off on these. Thanks dude!

Jan 17, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #1,739 of 9,716
Wait he actually makes the pads by hand?

Sure, this is his backyard:

Spoiler alert, this is in Fez, Morocco.  I've been there.  It smells horrifying but it's pretty cool otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back