ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Oct 14, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #196 of 9,716
This ATTICUS/EIKON thing is killing me:

-- for months I've planned to buy Omni's--a no-brainer because of well-reviewed sound; craftsmanship; handsome woodcups; big/comfortable earpads.
-- & obsessing over choice of wood. starting w/bubinga; now it's ormosia henryi (thanks, whirlwind!)

Then 1-2 weeks ago started reading about these new products. Suddenly everything's complicated. And exciting. ZMF doesn't launch new designs every day.

Now, like everyone else, I'm waiting for detailed comments/reviews of these new headphones (which are crazy-beautiful). And obsessing over new "issues":

1. Will the pilot pad fit over that rather thin-looking headband? Will that even matter?
2. If I go w/the Atticus, do I do w/o those beautiful cowhide pads? (looks that way)
3. Are those earcups asymmetrical? Really?

(try explaining this angst to people who don't care about audio gear!)

Oct 14, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #198 of 9,716
  I'm looking forward to this so I can get away from Audeze, the lifetime warranty and the preorder price is tempting but I haven't tried anything ZMF yet. :c

This will definitely be my first. :D

I have a ZMF Omni (Bocote) and used to own an LCD-2.2.  Omni beats it in everyway IMO.  Zach does great work and don't doubt the Eikon/Atticus will be fantastic as well.

Oct 14, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #199 of 9,716
  I have a ZMF Omni (Bocote) and used to own an LCD-2.2.  Omni beats it in everyway IMO.  Zach does great work and don't doubt the Eikon/Atticus will be fantastic as well.

I really wanted to give the Omni a shot but I couldn't get over the idea that I'm getting a modified headphone for $900 even though it had excellent reviews. I've had the Mrspeakers Mad/Alpha Dogs but the price I could justify since it wasn't too drastically different but I couldn't do the same for the Omni.

I feel bad for not giving it a shot but that was my reasoning.

Oct 14, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #200 of 9,716
  This ATTICUS/EIKON thing is killing me:

<snip>

1. Will the pilot pad fit over that rather thin-looking headband? Will that even matter?
2. If I go w/the Atticus, do I do w/o those beautiful cowhide pads? (looks that way)
3. Are those earcups asymmetrical? Really?

(try explaining this angst to people who don't care about audio gear!)

1.  I would imagine it would.  The pilot pad is rather wide, and the A&E headband while being padded itself, should fit in a pilot pad.  Having worn both, I honestly don't think the pilot pad is needed on these though.

2.  You'll get 2 pads w/ the headphones.  The new Eikon pads are fantastic!  I think you'll like them as much or better than the zmf cowhides.

3.  Yes, kind of.  It depends on which axis you measure symmetry. =P  

Also, is it just me, or are the pics of the Eikon's black frame and red paduak just freaking gorgeous?  I keep staring at it longingly... 

Oct 14, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #201 of 9,716

1.  I would imagine it would.  The pilot pad is rather wide, and the A&E headband while being padded itself, should fit in a pilot pad.  Having worn both, I honestly don't think the pilot pad is needed on these though.

2.  You'll get 2 pads w/ the headphones.  The new Eikon pads are fantastic!  I think you'll like them as much or better than the zmf cowhides.

3.  Yes, kind of.  It depends on which axis you measure symmetry. =P  

Also, is it just me, or are the pics of the Eikon's black frame and red paduak just freaking gorgeous?  I keep staring at it longingly... 

Can you compare the two different headphones?

Oct 14, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #202 of 9,716
confused_face_2.gif
; I had my heart set on getting the Sony but this Eikon having bio drivers might take the Sony money. Hmm... how long is the preorder pricing going for?

The QA section is a great idea!!

Oct 14, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #203 of 9,716
  Can you compare the two different headphones?

The Eikons have a tad more presence in the treble and subbass, and the Atticus is a bit more lush in the mids.   I think Zach did a good job describing them on the FAQ page.  http://www.zmfheadphones.com/atticus-and-eikon   They both exemplify slightly different tuning of the ZMF house sound, so if you've heard any of the other ZMF headphones, you'll know what I'm talking about.  =)

Oct 14, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #204 of 9,716

The Eikons have a tad more presence in the treble and subbass, and the Atticus is a bit more lush in the mids.   I think Zach did a good job describing them on the FAQ page.  http://www.zmfheadphones.com/atticus-and-eikon   They both exemplify slightly different tuning of the ZMF house sound, so if you've heard any of the other ZMF headphones, you'll know what I'm talking about.  =)

And Zach's tuning on the Omni is fantastic!

Oct 14, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #205 of 9,716

And Zach's tuning on the Omni is fantastic!

I might be weird, but I loved the Omni initially. Then, as time went on, I grew out of it. Nowadays, my favorite ZMF is the Blackwood. So I'll probably be going with the Eikon. Just got to sell this PG27AQ first, haha.

Oct 14, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #206 of 9,716

I might be weird, but I loved the Omni initially. Then, as time went on, I grew out of it. Nowadays, my favorite ZMF is the Blackwood. So I'll probably be going with the Eikon. Just got to sell this PG27AQ first, haha.

I don't think you are weird at all! Anything but flat is going to cause listener fatigue... I spent much time at Interval Research (Paul Allen's personal R&D lab) in the '90s on a team developing ways of taking audio to the next level. Part of that work was understanding psychacoustics. Our conclusion in a nutshell was: flat and no ringing. Really hard to do in a headphone, but doable. I have a pair of PMx2s, which do it. I am looking forward to hearing the Eikons, because it sounds like they might.

Oct 14, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #207 of 9,716
Im not familiar with PTE drivers. What other can out there utilitizes it? I am a big fan of the Nighthawks(which,of course, uses biocellulose drivers) but , actually, the description of the Atticus sounds like it may be slightly more to my liking(though the Eikon uses the Biocell) Though I am sure BOTH would be quite pleasing. . The NightHawks are one of the only cans that don't cause listening fatigue for me. Generally all non-dynamic cans are fatiguing for me. I've considered buying both, but not sure they are different enough to warrant doing so. Anyone , that has heard both the Atticus and Eikon , have an opinion on that? Tks

Oct 14, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #208 of 9,716
  Im not familiar with PTE drivers. What other can out there utilitizes it? I am a big fan of the Nighthawks(which,of course, uses biocellulose drivers) but , actually, the description of the Atticus sounds like it may be slightly more to my liking(though the Eikon uses the Biocell) Though I am sure BOTH would be quite pleasing. . The NightHawks are one of the only cans that don't cause listening fatigue for me. Generally all non-dynamic cans are fatiguing for me. I've considered buying both, but not sure they are different enough to warrant doing so. Anyone , that has heard both the Atticus and Eikon , have an opinion on that? Tks

HD800 uses PTE drivers.

Oct 14, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #209 of 9,716
  HD800 uses PTE drivers.

Tks...hmmmmmm.. I bought and sold two pair of the HD800. Not a huge fan.  Wish I could hear both. I suppose I COULD buy both. Perhaps I'll decide I want to keep both and , if not, some lucky HeadFier will get a nice deal on a gently used pair.. Such a magnanimous dude I am
atsmile.gif

Oct 14, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #210 of 9,716
  Tks...hmmmmmm.. I bought and sold two pair of the HD800. Not a huge fan.  Wish I could hear both. I suppose I COULD buy both. Perhaps I'll decide I want to keep both and , if not, some lucky HeadFier will get a nice deal on a gently used pair.. Such a magnanimous dude I am
atsmile.gif

Yea, wish I could demo both before purchasing, but it doesn't look like that's an option.

Guess I'm going to have to buy both and keep which one I prefer the most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back