ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Dec 11, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #1,141 of 9,733
Is this based on measurements?

Tones sweeps had 30hz in full effect. The reach of the Eikon was exceptional and the first thing pointed out at our meets. Then I went home and did tone sweeps. There was a minor downward slope from 50 to 30 and 20 was still very audible.

So you are saying the Eikon produces non-rolled off, meaningful amplitude at 30Hz? That is exceptional, my REL T-Zero subs start rolling off at 30Hz.

Dec 11, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #1,142 of 9,733
So you are saying the Eikon produces non-rolled off, meaningful amplitude at 30Hz? That is exceptional, my REL T-Zero subs start rolling off at 30Hz.

That's far from unheard of for headphones. Sealing to one's head is a pretty big advantage for bass extension. Most good planars easily reach below 20hz like the HE-6 which tickles the ear with 10hz tones. For dynamics, its a bit more rare though closed backs have better luck. The new Focals have excellent extension and the biocellulose driver fostex tend to extend cleanly to 30hz before dipping.

Dec 11, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #1,143 of 9,733
That's far from unheard of for headphones. Sealing to one's head is a pretty big advantage for bass extension. Most good planars easily reach below 20hz like the HE-6 which tickles the ear with 10hz tones. For dynamics, its a bit more rare though closed backs have better luck. The new Focals have excellent extension and the biocellulose driver fostex tend to extend cleanly to 30hz before dipping.

No I realize that, but you still typically do see roll-off occurring to one extent or another. I was being serious, if the bass is meaningful at 30Hz and not appreciably rolled off that is exceptional, I wasn't being sarcastic at all. I assume the Eikon seals well then.

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #1,144 of 9,733

This isn't totally cut and dry but:

Quantity:
Eikon < Ori << Atticus

Quality:
Atticus < Eikon < / = Ori

Ori, well driven with a powerful solid state, has near perfect bass in terms of quantity and quality, IMO. Eikon has a similar level of quality (just behind it, IMO), with a pinch less midbass and a pinch more subbass. It has a really great level of quality with pretty good tightness and only enough extra decay to make it fun. Atticus has the most midbass and the most bass overall. I've found the bass varies on Atticus quite a bit by the amp, but paired with a good tube amp it gains an impressive level of quality with an explosive dynamic potential that would make a Fostex blush.

This Q/A is one of the big issues I have in mind about waiting for an Atticus >6 months from now (because I hope that different woods will be offered) vs getting an Ori right now at discounted price. It's making me a little crazy: if I get the Ori, which I've wanted for over a year & would already have purchased if not for the launch of Eikon/Atticus, I probably won't get the Atticus. It's hard to justify owning both (at least on money grounds).

I'm pretty sure based on all the comments/reviews of Omni/Ori that the bass would be really excellent for me. But I also keep reading comparative comments about the better upper midrange and treble on Atticus/Eikon vs Ori (totally different drivers, and of course the A/E aren't Fostex mods)...and I just don't know how much that planar vs dynamic difference would matter to my ears.

I find the look of the Ori to be extremely pleasing, particularly with my wood-of-choice (ormosia henri),

5 more days ('til end of Ori sale) to obsess over this...

I hear you loud and clear...I love the Ori bass so much, I want to make sure I do not get a headphone that is lesser to the Ori in that area.

I own the HD800 and I love that headphone and my amp is a great match with it....but I am finding myself grabbing for my Ori an awful lot....it just tickles my fancy.

I am leaning more and more toward the Atticus when I finally order one of these....just because I don't want to give up anything in the bass area from the Ori.

Dec 12, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #1,145 of 9,733
  I hear you loud and clear...I love the Ori bass so much, I want to make sure I do not get a headphone that is lesser to the Ori in that area.

I own the HD800 and I love that headphone and my amp is a great match with it....but I am finding myself grabbing for my Ori an awful lot....it just tickles my fancy.

I am leaning more and more toward the Atticus when I finally order one of these....just because I don't want to give up anything in the bass area from the Ori.

You have the exact Omni/Ori I've been jonesing for...so your comments re their sound really registers w/me.

I may have asked you this before (pls excuse if so)--but how do you like the upper midrange and treble of your Ori's?
What is this "planar" driver quality people talk about in that range?

Dec 12, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #1,146 of 9,733
Don't know why, but today I'm jonesing extra hard for Feb to get here.

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #1,148 of 9,733
My Coffee Zebrawood Ori was just delivered, so I have it to listen to while time ticks toward February.

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #1,149 of 9,733

You have the exact Omni/Ori I've been jonesing for...so your comments re their sound really registers w/me.

I may have asked you this before (pls excuse if so)--but how do you like the upper midrange and treble of your Ori's?
What is this "planar" driver quality people talk about in that range?

Sent you a PM

My Coffee Zebrawood Ori was just delivered, so I have it to listen to while time ticks toward February.

Congrats, cant wait to hear your impressions.

Dec 12, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #1,150 of 9,733
Hi, I need help deciding between Cherry vs Padauk Atticus .Based on the latest reviews, he mentioned that the female vocals sounded distant, is this not the case with Cherry Atticus, or was it just bad amp matching on the reviewers part? Thanks

http://www.verumsonus.com/zmf-atticus-padauk-review/

Dec 12, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #1,151 of 9,733
Hi, I need help deciding between Cherry vs Padauk Atticus .Based on the latest reviews, he mentioned that the female vocals sounded distant, is this not the case with Cherry Atticus, or was it just bad amp matching on the reviewers part? Thanks

It's been mentioned on here quite a few times before, but the actual wood has very little impact on the overall sound quality.

Dec 12, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #1,152 of 9,733
  It's been mentioned on here quite a few times before, but the actual wood has very little impact on the overall sound quality.

Not to mention how could the choice of wood possibly be so impactful as to make female voices sound distant or not? Any impact would be very modest so as you said, Zach himself feels the wood isn't quite as central to how the headphones are voiced.

Dec 12, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #1,154 of 9,733

Female vocals are most certainly not distant. I saw he mentioned that male vocals are more forward than female vocals, which might be true (depending on the vocalist), but you are reading way too much into this comment. Vocals are very upfront on the Atticus. IMHO, the Atticus is going to be in the conversation for "best vocal headphone" for the next few years.

FWIW, dude made a lot of good points in that writeup, I agree with most of it. The "pre-fazor LCD-2 with much better staging" comparison he made isn't that far off. It does a lot of those special things the old Audeze did before they ruined the sound with the fazors (IMHO, YMMV - I thought the bass got very "plain-Jane" after they added them). 

Dec 12, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #1,155 of 9,733

Female vocals are most certainly not distant. I saw he mentioned that male vocals are more forward than female vocals, which might be true (depending on the vocalist), but you are reading way too much into this comment. Vocals are very upfront on the Atticus. IMHO, the Atticus is going to be in the conversation for "best vocal headphone" for the next few years.

FWIW, dude made a lot of good points in that writeup, I agree with most of it. The "pre-fazor LCD-2 with much better staging" comparison he made isn't that far off. It does a lot of those special things the old Audeze did before they ruined the sound with the fazors (IMHO, YMMV - I thought the bass got very "plain-Jane" after they added them). 

Thanks for the clear up, so they sound very similar to the nighthawk?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back