ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Oct 8, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #7,411 of 9,711
So between the Eikon and the Atticus, which one leaks the least? Are they both fully sealed closed? My wife will kill me if I get anything that leaks more than my AFC’s did.
They seem to be about the same, minimal difference from what I've read...I have no problems with my Eikon in that department, but the Verite Closed is the most isolating of the ZMF line. Keep in mind, the price can be prohibitive for some.

Oct 8, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #7,413 of 9,711
So between the Eikon and the Atticus, which one leaks the least? Are they both fully sealed closed? My wife will kill me if I get anything that leaks more than my AFC’s did.
i'm a bit of an outlier here as i find the Atticus/Eikon isolation only so so. I listen loud, about 85ish db on average, keep that in mind with some salt grains :wink: But in terms of isolation, they do leak out a bit. if my coworkers come into my office while i'm listening, they can often tell what i'm listening to (and make fun of me! Sorry, I like George Michael's Faith...). it's not loud at all, but it is there. the Atticus/Eikon are not fully closed headphones. Those vents around the ear cups do let some sound in/out. it's been awhile since i've owned the AFC, but i had a similar problem with that headphone as well in that coworkers were hearing too much of my music. my old man memory thinks the leakage is about on par with the AFC, but who knows, i'm half senile... again, i listen loud. if you need near silent levels of leakage, ZMF might not be the right choice (have not heard Verite Closed though).

and no joke as i'm writing this our intern walks in and comments she likes surf guitar too. i was listening to Misirlou on my Atticus...LOUD....

edit - the Salire is a useful tool for sound leakage checks. At least with ZMF headphones that rotate enough to clamp flat onto the shaft of the Salire. i just replayed Miserlou with the Atty on the Salire, and yep, i could easily hear it from the door of my office.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #7,414 of 9,711
Love that song!!! Have you ever heard it performed by The California Guitar Trio?

Oct 8, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #7,415 of 9,711
Love that song!!! Have you ever heard it performed by The California Guitar Trio?
nope but now i'm checking Tidal for it haha. yeah it's a classic, i have that on my short list of favorite guitar works ever.

edit - really like the Cal Guiter Trio cover! i do miss the horn from the original, it drives the pace better, imo, but i love the acoustic string work, it's excellent. has almost a Mariachi like flair to it. thank you for killing my productivity today, i'll be listening to them all day now! I see they did Ave Maria...i love Ave Maria! and Cantharis...that's beautiful....yeah no work going on today....

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #7,416 of 9,711
If you ever get the chance to see them, don't pass it up. They are great musicians and really great guys. I've photographed them times at local clubs here in the Hudson Valley. they were in my area just a few weeks ago, but I was off on a Steve Hackett tour!

The do a pretty interesting version of Pink Floyd's "Echoes".

Oct 8, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #7,417 of 9,711
If you ever get the chance to see them, don't pass it up. They are great musicians and really great guys. I've photographed them times at local clubs here in the Hudson Valley. they were in my area just a few weeks ago, but I was off on a Steve Hackett tour!

Definitely. I was checking out some of thier live stuff on youtube as well, looks like a great live show to see. Funny you mention Echoes, that's what I just finished listening to haha. it's different, but i like it. i was surprised how much bass they were generating on that track. don't know if it's electronic bass added in or the string bass, but it really pressurizes on the Atticus. i'll have to give it a few more listens, and make sure it was indeed Echoes and not another track that did it. it was around the 4:45 mark and man it made me pull the cup off my ear, it was too much pressure. quite impressive honestly, that doesnt happen often.

Oct 8, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #7,418 of 9,711
Oct 8, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #7,419 of 9,711
Excellent photography! I miss shooting live events. never did concerts, but did a few charity events and a wedding or two. then kids came and my free time for photography went bye bye haha. looked like a great venue for photos, the stage seemed fairly close and open, and nice dramatic lighting. love the contrast of the spotlights and shadows on their faces.

Oct 8, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #7,420 of 9,711
I started later in life. My kids are grown and I started shooting concerts about 7 years ago. I've shot nearly 200 shows since then. The venue in those pics is The Towne Crier, in Beacon NY. But I do most of my shooting at Daryl's House Club (owned by Daryl Hall, you've heard of him) in Pawling, NY. Plus, I'm friendly with Steve Hackett, so whenever he's in my area, I get photo passes.

Retired life is pretty effin' good so far!!!

Oct 8, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #7,421 of 9,711
Sorry for hijacking the thread. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming!!!

Oct 9, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #7,422 of 9,711
Sorry for hijacking the thread. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming!!!
Head-fi is indeed most forgiving of such hijacking...twas an interesting diversion for me (I definitely have to get out to the Crier more, and I still haven't made it to Daryl's). Besides, this gives us a few more artists to check out on the Eikon (or Atticus). Nice pics too!

Oct 9, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #7,423 of 9,711
Thanks! Nice to see you're local. Please let me know if you get out to Daryl's. I'm one of their house photographers, so I'm there quite often (like this Friday for Vanilla Fudge and Sunday for Ottmar Liebert!).

Oct 9, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #7,425 of 9,711

Thanks for the tip...CGT version of Echoes is very nice, and now its been two hours and I have not stopped listening to their work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back