ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Apr 2, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #5,701 of 9,716
Do vegans taste like chicken?

Apr 2, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #5,703 of 9,716
All this back & forth about vegan pads is not only funny, but comes at an interesting time for me. Lately I've been obsessing over older Audeze LCD-2 pre-fazor models. When you look at enough of these, eventually you'll encounter Audeze's version of vegan pads--which are brown in color and frankly look like ass slabs. Not only the pads come in ass/brown, but also the "vegan" version of the headband. An LCD-2 w/this all vegan/brown treatment looks comfy as hell, yet very peculiar IMHO...

"I'm not putting that on my head!"

So I guess "vegan" means the pads are not made with animal skin (yeah, I'm a deep thinker)--but doesn't that just mean the same thing as VELOUR?!? Why call it "vegan" and invite mockery like I and others engaged in here? I'm serious...why not just call it velour and be done w/it?

I just checked ZMF's website and realized ZMF has an interesting "take" on this issue: they call it "suede" ("lush micro suede faux leather"), which sure sounds less finicky/hipsterish than "vegan."
  • but that compels me to think about "blue suede earpads" -- and as soon as I think of it...I want it.

Apr 2, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #5,706 of 9,716
So I guess "vegan" means the pads are not made with animal skin (yeah, I'm a deep thinker)--but doesn't that just mean the same thing as VELOUR?!?

There is also a pleather type material that is sometimes vegan as well. Also known as protien leather, it's only sometimes because they can use eggshells (and probably bug proteins I guess). Some like it, some don't, but it's another option.

Apr 2, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #5,707 of 9,716
All this back & forth about vegan pads is not only funny, but comes at an interesting time for me. Lately I've been obsessing over older Audeze LCD-2 pre-fazor models. When you look at enough of these, eventually you'll encounter Audeze's version of vegan pads--which are brown in color and frankly look like ass slabs. Not only the pads come in ass/brown, but also the "vegan" version of the headband. An LCD-2 w/this all vegan/brown treatment looks comfy as hell, yet very peculiar IMHO..

You too? I'm starting to amass a collection of them. Gotta get all the variants! lol

Apr 2, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #5,708 of 9,716
Oh wow, didn't see this before, but I guess there is a vegan headband. It says, "Made from 100% authentic unwashed manbun." Who knew?

ZMF Vegan Headband.jpg

Apr 2, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #5,709 of 9,716
Oh wow, didn't see this before, but I guess there is a vegan headband. It says, "Made from 100% authentic unwashed manbun." Who knew?

Don't forget about the new yoke option that looks like a handlebar mustache!

Apr 3, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #5,710 of 9,716
I'm surprised @zach915m hasn't posted yet. Maybe he's in hiding from the hipster mafia? :smile:

Apr 3, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #5,712 of 9,716
You too? I'm starting to amass a collection of them. Gotta get all the variants! lol

Yeah, there's just something about planars--especially ones w/somewhat dark, bassy, rich tonality. But I have a serious thing to say about this...

With all due respect to the Eikon (a spectacular closed dynamic design I may eventually own)--obsessing over LCDs is just my way of biding time until:
  • Zach decides to offer a big/open-back planar of his own design
  • ..."voiced" in that bassy, warm, impactful, musical, midrange-rich manner of ZMF
  • and costs $2K or so
When that happens, I WANT IN!!!

(seriously)

The best headphones I heard at CanJam were big/open-back planars (Final D8000; Meze Empyrean) with stunning sound, and in the case of the Empyrean, paradigm-shifting/beautiful design. Both are priced in the $3,500 - $4000 range...more than I can handle.

If ZMF came out w/a planar anything like these in sound quality and priced in the ballpark of the Auteur, I'd stand in line to buy it.

Apr 3, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #5,714 of 9,716
As I'm currently looking for a closed can the Eikon and the Atticus really got my interest, however I can't decide which one to pick...
I already skimished over the last 300 pages, but it didn't really helped me to decide. Sadly I'm living in europe so testing them isn't possible.

My sound preference:
Bass: I really like a balanced bass (mid and sub). Therefore for this category the Eikon would suit better, i guess. However i also read that the Atticus can achieve a more balanced bass signature with the Eikon Pads.
Mids: I love vocals, both male and female. I also really when there a forward and not so much leaned back. I know both the Atticus and the Eikon have beautiful mids, but I don't really know which one would be more suitable in this category.
Treble: I'm not really sure where to go here, as I don't really have a preference in this category... I'm not siblant to any frequency as far as I know.

My music taste:
Pop (including K-pop and modern pop - therefore sometimes bad mixed), modern rock, electro swing and sometimes EDM.
I'm not into classic music or psychedelic rock.

Im currently more on the Atticus side, but i'm not really convinced that it would match my taste. The preference is mainly based on a review which stated that the Eikon is source picky, and therefore not really a good choice with my mustic taste...

I would be really glad if you could help me out!

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #5,715 of 9,716
As I'm currently looking for a closed can the Eikon and the Atticus really got my interest, however I can't decide which one to pick...
I already skimished over the last 300 pages, but it didn't really helped me to decide. Sadly I'm living in europe so testing them isn't possible.

My sound preference:
Bass: I really like a balanced bass (mid and sub). Therefore for this category the Eikon would suit better, i guess. However i also read that the Atticus can achieve a more balanced bass signature with the Eikon Pads.
Mids: I love vocals, both male and female. I also really when there a forward and not so much leaned back. I know both the Atticus and the Eikon have beautiful mids, but I don't really know which one would be more suitable in this category.
Treble: I'm not really sure where to go here, as I don't really have a preference in this category... I'm not siblant to any frequency as far as I know.

My music taste:
Pop (including K-pop and modern pop - therefore sometimes bad mixed), modern rock, electro swing and sometimes EDM.
I'm not into classic music or psychedelic rock.

Im currently more on the Atticus side, but i'm not really convinced that it would match my taste. The preference is mainly based on a review which stated that the Eikon is source picky, and therefore not really a good choice with my mustic taste...

I would be really glad if you could help me out!

The amp/amps you have will figure into this decision. What amp/amps do you use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back