ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Dec 14, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #5,011 of 9,716
hi guys, i have the chance to get a camphor atticus that seems in pristine conditions...
now, i know that i asked before, but could someone else tell me if i'm doing right since i already have an aeon open. could atticus be at least complementary??
what about camphor wood? is it good? i don't care much of the nice looking colour, i just want them to sound good.
or maybe i have to wait lcd2c?? thx
ps iwould use an nfb r2r 11 to drive them or maybe an ifi idsd BL.
tell me something , my wallet is crying and i don' t want to waste money. thx

Dec 14, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #5,012 of 9,716
Sorry, but this is hysterical..."confused and signature-less" (priceless).

I'm waiting for a cocobolo Atticus, too. But I'm cool. Beyond the discreet 60' X 10' canvas banner I hung on the front of the house ["WAITING FOR COCOBOLO ATTICUS (if you don't have it, get the f*ck off the driveway)"] I'm just calmly waiting...

:floatsmile:

Dec 14, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #5,013 of 9,716
Ok... preliminary impressions.

I'm listening from a heavily modded Bottlehead Crack, which I call the "Crackhouse". I gave it a different name, since the improvements are enough to set it apart--I don't feel like what I hear on my unit is going to be comparable to an unmodded stock unit, with or without speedball. The sound is still tubey especially in soundstage, but much cleaner, more dynamic and waaay more resolving. The Tung-Sol 5998 also has a lower output impedance, I'm not sure exactly what it is but they sound about a million times cleaner than the stock 6080.

The first thing that kind of blows me away about these is the weight. They were supposed to be heavy, they do not feel like it at all. The second thing that blows me away is the excellent sense of space: damn, these do not sound closed at all and have a very impressive soundstage. The people who describe them as a closed, souped up HD650 with bass are basically dead on. They are smooth, they have great treble extension, the bass is tight and kicks hard.

I don't think it's too warm with my Crack, ymmv. Plugging them into Magni 3 brought on more midbass and a lot more slam.
G4FW3bs.jpg

DscVvy0.jpg

Uo69gvF.jpg

wk1Lrqs.jpg

Dec 14, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #5,014 of 9,716
Ok... preliminary impressions.

I'm listening from a heavily modded Bottlehead Crack, which I call the "Crackhouse". I gave it a different name, since the improvements are enough to set it apart--I don't feel like what I hear on my unit is going to be comparable to an unmodded stock unit, with or without speedball. The sound is still tubey especially in soundstage, but much cleaner, more dynamic and waaay more resolving. The Tung-Sol 5998 also has a lower output impedance, I'm not sure exactly what it is but they sound about a million times cleaner than the stock 6080.

The first thing that kind of blows me away about these is the weight. They were supposed to be heavy, they do not feel like it at all. The second thing that blows me away is the excellent sense of space: damn, these do not sound closed at all and have a very impressive soundstage. The people who describe them as a closed, souped up HD650 with bass are basically dead on. They are smooth, they have great treble extension, the bass is tight and kicks hard.

I don't think it's too warm with my Crack, ymmv. Plugging them into Magni 3 brought on more midbass and a lot more slam.
G4FW3bs.jpg

DscVvy0.jpg

Uo69gvF.jpg

wk1Lrqs.jpg

Very nice, and those cans are drop dead gorgeous!!

Those 5998 power tubes are wonderful.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #5,015 of 9,716
I'm so glad I live near ZMF's headquarters and was able to drive and pick up my Barnyard Cherry Atticus! Zach was very accommodating and gave me a tour of the operations. I took a few snapshots of some work in process going through final QC!

Zach is a great guy, awesome communications and customer service. And of course outstanding headphones. I'm loving my Atticus! Enjoying the lush mids and solid bass kick. I put my 800S away and they are having a hard time finding their way back to my HP station!

Pretty headphones!! Nice that Zach gave you the tour ... he sets the standard for communications & customer service.

How do you like your Atticus through the V281? I have the V281 and hope it's good w/my soon-to-arrive Atticus.

Dec 14, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #5,016 of 9,716
Pretty headphones!! Nice that Zach gave you the tour ... he sets the standard for communications & customer service.

How do you like your Atticus through the V281? I have the V281 and hope it's good w/my soon-to-arrive Atticus.

I know many recommend a tube amp with the Atticus but I cant imagine it performing any better than it does from the V281. Using the balanced out, the V281 drives them with authority in the bass while maintaining an overall musicality that is very pleasing. Not fatiguing at all. I have <10 hours on it so may continue to get better! I think you will be extremely pleased.

Dec 14, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #5,017 of 9,716
I am hopefully getting my barnyard cherry Atticus this month.
I sold/selling my bigger rig to go (semi) mobile.

Any recommendations/experiences running the Atticus on hugo2 vs wa8?

I will most likely go with one of them for my new setup.

Thank you

Dec 15, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #5,018 of 9,716
hi guys, i have the chance to get a camphor atticus that seems in pristine conditions...
now, i know that i asked before, but could someone else tell me if i'm doing right since i already have an aeon open. could atticus be at least complementary??
what about camphor wood? is it good? i don't care much of the nice looking colour, i just want them to sound good.

I think all (or most) of your answers are in posts over the past 2-3 months right here:
  • Several months ago, when camphor was a relatively new wood, Zach posted comments about its sound. I think he said it was a light wood, but because of sap content, was not particularly resonant, like some of the lighter woods (ie, Cherry) are. Said it was pretty "fast" & snappy. I like the look of Camphor, and would have ordered one based on his positive sonic comments--that is, until cocobolo came along (ordered that instead)
  • Several of the excellent reviews of the Atticus and/or Eikon here have compared it to the LCD2. Maybe also some reviews of the ZMF Auteur on the thread for that.
  • You have an NFB R2R 11? That's a really interesting combo product--one of the very few R2R combination units around. Just checked its specs--like most SS designs, it has much more power into low impedance headphone than high impedance ones (Atticus is 300 ohm)--but it should have no problem at all driving either Atticus or LCD2.
  • But a number of reviewers & users reported good results w/the ifi idsd BL, too...

Dec 15, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #5,019 of 9,716
I have the Camphor Atticus and it sounds great and is light and comfortable. I would definitely opt for this wood again if I was getting one. The Atticus (and the Eikon) are both superb sounding phones.

The Atticus sounded great on the Hugo TT and became my main go-to headphone for the TT, so I suspect the Hugo2 would be a great pairing, but I have not heard it.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #5,020 of 9,716

So I have owned both Cherry and Cocobolo Atticus and used both on my R2R 11, and I have owned a 2016 LCD-2 that I have used on the same setup. I have also auditioned a pre-fazor LCD-2, which is what the LCD2C is supposed to sound like. I would pick Atticus over LCD-2 (pre-fazor or fazor) every time. Fazor LCD-2 is more neutral than pre-fazor and Atticus. It is a bit brighter up top (but never fatiguing) and pretty smooth and even in bass. My main complaints are that it loses the magical warmth of pre-fazor LCD-2 and while the bass quality is great, I wouldn't call it a "bassy" headphone like I would Atticus. It lacks that bloom and slam. My other complaint with LCD-2 is that the upper mids dip a bit and sound tonally off to me, particularly with female vocals. They can feel a little pushed back and sometimes strained sounding. The Atticus mids are more lush, warm, and full. And for being a closed headphone, Atticus still has soundstage and openness on par with LCD-2. Also, the comfort of LCD-2 can not come close to Atticus. I even had a Lohb strap and it is tolerable, but it is never comfortable. I think LCD2C should be better about this, but it is strange they won't release the weight of the headphone and there aren't any real impressions about how comfort on it compares to previous LCD-2s.

Dec 15, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #5,021 of 9,716
So I have owned both Cherry and Cocobolo Atticus and used both on my R2R 11, and I have owned a 2016 LCD-2 that I have used on the same setup. I have also auditioned a pre-fazor LCD-2, which is what the LCD2C is supposed to sound like. I would pick Atticus over LCD-2 (pre-fazor or fazor) every time. Fazor LCD-2 is more neutral than pre-fazor and Atticus. It is a bit brighter up top (but never fatiguing) and pretty smooth and even in bass. My main complaints are that it loses the magical warmth of pre-fazor LCD-2 and while the bass quality is great, I wouldn't call it a "bassy" headphone like I would Atticus. It lacks that bloom and slam. My other complaint with LCD-2 is that the upper mids dip a bit and sound tonally off to me, particularly with female vocals. They can feel a little pushed back and sometimes strained sounding. The Atticus mids are more lush, warm, and full. And for being a closed headphone, Atticus still has soundstage and openness on par with LCD-2. Also, the comfort of LCD-2 can not come close to Atticus. I even had a Lohb strap and it is tolerable, but it is never comfortable. I think LCD2C should be better about this, but it is strange they won't release the weight of the headphone and there aren't any real impressions about how comfort on it compares to previous LCD-2s.

LCD-2C: 549g

Source: I emailed them directly a month ago

Dec 15, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #5,022 of 9,716
LCD-2C: 549g

Source: I emailed them directly a month ago

So the same weight as the current LCD-2? I don't understand how it is so heavy as they specifically say they are using a "lightweight suspension headband" (from their website)? I really hope they did something else to make it carry its weight better, which is the key difference between LCD headphones and ZMFs. By numbers they are close, but HOW they carry their weight is worlds apart. Though I will say the LCD-MX4 was more comfortable than LCD-2 when I auditioned it, but it still wasn't as comfortable as ZMFs.

Dec 15, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #5,023 of 9,716
The Atticus sounded great on the Hugo TT and became my main go-to headphone for the TT

You're brave, traveling with these. I'm traveling with a Mojo, ER4XR, and one pair of full sized that I haven't decided on yet. I was gonna go with HD600 but Atticus is so good but I'm not sure I want to part ways with it. I am also terrified that something might happen to it along the way... the curse of owning nice things.

Dec 15, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #5,024 of 9,716
So the same weight as the current LCD-2? I don't understand how it is so heavy as they specifically say they are using a "lightweight suspension headband" (from their website)? I really hope they did something else to make it carry its weight better, which is the key difference between LCD headphones and ZMFs. By numbers they are close, but HOW they carry their weight is worlds apart. Though I will say the LCD-MX4 was more comfortable than LCD-2 when I auditioned it, but it still wasn't as comfortable as ZMFs.

It surprised me too! That is the #1 complaint on the LCD series and it amazed me that they weren't able to shave off any weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back