ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Dec 3, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #4,921 of 9,716
There’s plenty of info on this thread. Prob best to keep the S/N down and use the search function or Zachs website.

Atticus + Bottlehead Crack paring is more bloody enjoyable than most TOTL gear I have here. What the Crack lacks in resolve it just makes up for it with incredible musicality and liquidity!

Dec 3, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #4,922 of 9,716
The Crack's issue with resolve can be fixed with mods and tubes. Put in some film output caps, swap out the pot for a blue velvet ALPS, bypass power supply caps with film types, add a choke to replace one of the power supply resistors, and replace the diodes with CREE types. Tung Sol 5998 for power tube, Psvane CV181T as preamp tube with a 6SN7 adapter. There is NO issue with resolve, but the unit still maintains it's wonderful musicality. None of these mods are super expensive (except the tubes) or difficult (mounting 100 uF film caps is a slight challenge), but they really really make a difference in the Crack's ability to present detail.

This is what I'm going to be powering my Atticus with. The only issue is that the original wiring job I did is absolutely garbage, so a lot of it needs redone. So many cold joints it's a wonder the thing works at all, much less without background noise.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #4,923 of 9,716
From Zach's website:

"So for all ZMF's you can generally assume you should burn them in with pink noise and/or hardcore metal/rap/dubstep for 100-200 hours. Placing the pads together helps reduce noise leakage during this process!"

It probably won't drastically change in tone from here on out (my Eikon didn't) but another 150 hours before it's 'fully' burnt.

BTW you can burn in while listening to them...much more enjoyable, at least if you don't use pink noise....lol

I second this "150 hour" recommendation (I use it for all headphones & electronics). Sometimes burn-in doesn't seem to matter; usually it matters somewhat; occasionally it matters a great dal (ie, big changes in sound over time).

BTW, in addition to pink noise, I use a variant called "Brownian noise," which is weighted more strongly toward bass frequencies. It actually sounds very soothing. When I get my Atticus, for example, I'll put my pink noise & brownian noise mp3s on repeat all night; then the next night will be classical; then the next night reggae & well recorded pop w/very distinct string/synth bass; and so on.

Dec 3, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #4,924 of 9,716
I second this "150 hour" recommendation (I use it for all headphones & electronics). Sometimes burn-in doesn't seem to matter; usually it matters somewhat; occasionally it matters a great dal (ie, big changes in sound over time).

BTW, in addition to pink noise, I use a variant called "Brownian noise," which is weighted more strongly toward bass frequencies. It actually sounds very soothing. When I get my Atticus, for example, I'll put my pink noise & brownian noise mp3s on repeat all night; then the next night will be classical; then the next night reggae & well recorded pop w/very distinct string/synth bass; and so on.

I also endorse a long burn-in period with the Eikon in particular. I found that at around 300 hours mine normalized and have stopped changing since then. When I first got my Eikons, I loved them right out of the box, but they just kept getting better as they broke in. As they use the same basic driver, I fully plan to burn my Auteurs in for at least as long before I give a final judgment on them. I feel like people who dont do that, it's a real shame, they have never really heard what these headphones are capable of.

Dec 4, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #4,926 of 9,716
How's the portability of the Eikon? I'm looking for a closed back headphone for walking and work and was wondering if these are flight enough for everyday use? sound leakage? and can they be driven by say a LG V20/30 quad DAC smartphone?

Also where is the ZMF Eikon made in ? China? USA?

Dec 4, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #4,927 of 9,716
How's the portability of the Eikon? I'm looking for a closed back headphone for walking and work and was wondering if these are flight enough for everyday use? sound leakage? and can they be driven by say a LG V20/30 quad DAC smartphone?

Definitely not suitable for portable use. They're quite heavy and bulky

Dec 4, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #4,928 of 9,716

The Eikon is pretty easy to drive, but it is too large for portability. ZMF headphones are manufactured in the USA.

Dec 4, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #4,930 of 9,716
The Eikon is pretty easy to drive, but it is too large for portability. ZMF headphones are manufactured in the USA.

Oh darn, the I'm looking for the best closed headphones money can buy that's portable. Any suggestions if the Eikon is too heavy? would the Sony ZR1 be the same bulkiness?

For at home I can just get the Focal Utopia or Senn HE1.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #4,931 of 9,716
Oh darn, the I'm looking for the best closed headphones money can buy that's portable. Any suggestions if the Eikon is too heavy? would the Sony ZR1 be the same bulkiness?

Depends what portable to you means. They are heavy for portable use, read the comments! Why don't you just search the weights of the headphones you're looking at. If price isn't an issue then I'm sure you can make any headphone "portable"

Dec 4, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #4,932 of 9,716

Sony is huge too. Make sure what your looking at is actually advertised as a great portable, as many high end closed backs are not.

I would suggest looking at the Oppo PM3. Portable and sounds great. Another one to check out is the Audeze Sine, however I haven't heard it, but you may be able to demo it in an Apple store.

Dec 4, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #4,933 of 9,716

The Z1R's are big, but they weigh almost nothing and could conceivably be used on the go. I've walked around my house with them on with a DAP. Not optimal though for on the go though, but I always thought it'd kinda be baller to take em out.

I personally use Sine's with over the ear pads. Only issue with them is they're not the easiest to power.

Dec 4, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #4,934 of 9,716

Mr Speakers Aeon Closed is another option to consider.

Dec 4, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #4,935 of 9,716
Sony is huge too. Make sure what your looking at is actually advertised as a great portable, as many high end closed backs are not.

I would suggest looking at the Oppo PM3. Portable and sounds great. Another one to check out is the Audeze Sine, however I haven't heard it, but you may be able to demo it in an Apple store.

Thanks guys! Yea I'll try to find a place to try them out. now realize very few closed back TOTL headphones are that portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back