ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Aug 10, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #4,096 of 9,733
I did hear some of this w/my
There's a peak at 6k but it's not really a peak, more of a depression on both sides. The peak doesn't go over the mids. My guess is etiher you listen way to loud to music that boosts that region or there's something wrong.

The Atticus while punchy and energetic doesn't boost anything the HD650 doesn't in terms of upper mids and treble. I personally find the HD650 more shouty.

I've heard that about the HD650, but until recently had never heard any Sennheiser. Then in one fascinating day, thanks to a head-fi pal, I heard his stock HD600 plus a friend's modded HD650.

The modded HD650 was really sometime special IMO. The mods this fellow had done were intended to knock down the warmth a bit, also to reduce the resonance that leads to that shouty quality of midrange (shared by the stock HD600, which is also a more trebly design). Anyway, the mods must have been effective: this headphone knocked me out for its flat, neutral, accurate, yet not all bright tonality. Everything was clean, with pinpoint focus and refined soundstaging, not particularly big, but with such precise location of notes/instruments. All that focus, but not in your face (a very neat trick). I also found it to be a comfortable, humane headphone design, not hard on the user at all.

It was a 180 from the headphones that usually push my buttons...I was quite impressed.

The Atticus is definitely in my future. I've heard the Eikon--best headphones I've ever heard. Now have to find a way to demo the Atticus...

Aug 11, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #4,097 of 9,733
So now headphones are underpriced, who would have thought ...
And that when a modern day 4000$ pair of cans still can't outperform a 300$ HD6X0.
I'm afraid posts like these will make some people think: "Here's the hype again, let's look elsewhere." even if the ZMF headphones are great.

Aug 11, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #4,098 of 9,733
Any dealers coming in Europe?

Any dealer for Australia? :)

Unfortunately no and no. We aren't able to price the headphones to distributors and dealers the way they typically want them to be priced so they bypass us unfortunately. It's something I'll have to think about as we grow, but right now my focus is more on building great headphones than selling more headphones to distributors. I'd rather sell less and keep the integrity of our product etc etc. Ofcourse I'd love to have a dealer in either place but it hasn't happened yet! For those in Asia we do love our dealer Zeppelin and Co. in Singapore.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Aug 11, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #4,099 of 9,733
Hey Zach
Speaking as a Canadian, this is great news. One question, does this affect any warranty, service, etc? If we have a problem, do we still just contact you directly or go through Hivemind?

Warranty and service will be through us, just as if you had bought it from us directly.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Aug 11, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #4,100 of 9,733
Zach seems to me to be extremely fair (and beyond) in performance and workmanship for the price. But for me and my ears, his headphones are superb regardless of price.
If I was a billionaire I still be listening to My Atticus and Eikon.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #4,101 of 9,733
On the subject of tubes, the RCA VTxxx family is the 6NS7 variant that is always my favorite. It really targets sibilance nicely but is not soft or gooey-sounding.
Edit: I actually meant the VT231, not the VT100.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #4,102 of 9,733
Unfortunately no and no. We aren't able to price the headphones to distributors and dealers the way they typically want them to be priced so they bypass us unfortunately. It's something I'll have to think about as we grow, but right now my focus is more on building great headphones than selling more headphones to distributors. I'd rather sell less and keep the integrity of our product etc etc. Ofcourse I'd love to have a dealer in either place but it hasn't happened yet! For those in Asia we do love our dealer Zeppelin and Co. in Singapore.

Addicted To Audio is a big audio store with a few outlets here in Australia and they carry lots of brands from many head-fi manufacturers. I could walk in there and audition literally most headphones such as Utopia, Susvara, LCD4, etc. Would have been nice to have your headphones represented there but I understand it is not possible now. As it is, I have just received a private message from an Aussie, enquiring about the Eikon that I had just ordered. I will be showcasing the Eikon at our Sydney Nov, 2017 meet.

As for Singapore.... that was my home till I came to Australia. So yeah I have a lot of love for that island city.

Aug 12, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #4,103 of 9,733
Addicted To Audio is a big audio store with a few outlets here in Australia and they carry lots of brands from many head-fi manufacturers. I could walk in there and audition literally most headphones such as Utopia, Susvara, LCD4, etc. Would have been nice to have your headphones represented there but I understand it is not possible now. As it is, I have just received a private message from an Aussie, enquiring about the Eikon that I had just ordered. I will be showcasing the Eikon at our Sydney Nov, 2017 meet.

As for Singapore.... that was my home till I came to Australia. So yeah I have a lot of love for that island city.
I'm quite sure that Zach is aware of A2A, but who knows, something may yet work out :) Good to know that you will be showing people the Eikon as well, it's always great to have more options for great sound, especially those you may not easily get a chance to try normally.

Aug 12, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #4,104 of 9,733
On the subject of tubes, the RCA VT100 family is the 6NS7 variant that is always my favorite. It really targets sibilance nicely but is not soft or gooey-sounding.

I've got a Grey Glass vt231 as well that does much the same, cuts the top end nicely

Anyways, no idea on when but I do aim to grab the MCTH and see how it powers the Eikon

Aug 12, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #4,105 of 9,733
I've got a Grey Glass vt231 as well that does much the same, cuts the top end nicely

Anyways, no idea on when but I do aim to grab the MCTH and see how it powers the Eikon

RCA 1633 smoked glass as well....these are 25volt SN7 tubes.

Aug 13, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #4,107 of 9,733
I actually meant to say the RCA VT231 was my favorite, not the VT100 (just a mistake on my part). I always use the VT231 for that mellow, lush, but still impactful sound.

right! I'm also going to try a little Deoxit Gold on my elCheapo Sylvania 6sn7 to see if it makes any improvement on the sound of some of the more visibly dirty prongs on some of my tubes

Aug 15, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #4,108 of 9,733
I just received the Atticus from a fellow head-fier. I wasn't paying attention and didn't realise that I needed a 4 pin xlr to 1/4 adapter, though.

I'm having the toughest time finding one.

Does anyone know where I can get one of these online in the UK or Europe?

Aug 15, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #4,109 of 9,733
Aug 15, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #4,110 of 9,733
Looking at the spreadsheet, my Cherry Eikon is 'Sanding and finishing'. :)

Excitement abounds. I have just bought a new Audeze LCD-2f, the tone of which I like a lot. Looking forward to how Eikon compares.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back