ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Jun 7, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #3,782 of 9,714
Ya, I think the biggest downfall of the V10/V20 is the battery life. I have a ton of apps, use my phone for work, check Head-Fi several times a day, as well as use it for Facebook and YouTube. I go through at least two, and sometimes three full batteries a day. And yes, the quad DAC drains the piss out of my battery.

I just turn on HIFI in the setting and it is auto set to high impedance for Atticus or Eikon - this is quad dac right.
My V20 is the B&O Asian version -wonder if there are any differences in regards to battery life

Jun 8, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #3,785 of 9,714
I got an Ori 6 months ago (not an A or E...I'm working my way up to that).

Anyway, these headphones look exactly like they did the day I unpacked them. I, on the other hand, look older by the day.

"The Headphones of Dorian Grey"

(it's not fair)

Jun 9, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #3,786 of 9,714
Jun 11, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #3,787 of 9,714

Good news I have a w1000X. I'll be starting my shoot out of the Atticus Eikon and my Modded W1000X and TH X00 tonight, so I'll let you know what I think about the W1000X in particular

Jun 11, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #3,788 of 9,714
I have both the AT ATH-W3000ANV ("Japan") and the ATH-W1000Z ("Maestoso"). While I like the AT sound, overall I'd say the ZMF cans are better. I really like the limited edition Japan-- it is warm and detailed, with a sparkling top, famous AT mids (love it or hate it), and a fulsome low end. A famously euphonic headphone. But comparing with the Atticus, it sounds a little bright and a touch thin to my ears, and not as balanced. The Eikon actually reminds me a bit of an AT headphone-- a little light in presence and punch, but euphonic. Albeit a little too bright up to for my tastes-- a certain part of the top end on the Eikon is a little too incisive for my ears. I really like its overall tone/tonality/texture, but the top is somewhat problematic for me.

On the other hand, I love the Atticus. It sound fuller and richer than both the AT's and the Eikon, and yet is smoother and just as detailed. The Atticus is the winner for me. Aside from the Kennerton Vali, they're my fave for rock/pop at the moment (I also like the ZMF Ori too).

Regarding wood color changes: It might just be my imagination, but only after a few months it seems like my cherry Atticus is darkening a bit (is that possible?) It's looking even better now than when I got it.

Jun 12, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #3,789 of 9,714
I have both the AT ATH-W3000ANV ("Japan") and the ATH-W1000Z ("Maestoso"). While I like the AT sound, overall I'd say the ZMF cans are better. I really like the limited edition Japan-- it is warm and detailed, with a sparkling top, famous AT mids (love it or hate it), and a fulsome low end. A famously euphonic headphone. But comparing with the Atticus, it sounds a little bright and a touch thin to my ears, and not as balanced. The Eikon actually reminds me a bit of an AT headphone-- a little light in presence and punch, but euphonic. Albeit a little too bright up to for my tastes-- a certain part of the top end on the Eikon is a little too incisive for my ears. I really like its overall tone/tonality/texture, but the top is somewhat problematic for me.

On the other hand, I love the Atticus. It sound fuller and richer than both the AT's and the Eikon, and yet is smoother and just as detailed. The Atticus is the winner for me. Aside from the Kennerton Vali, they're my fave for rock/pop at the moment (I also like the ZMF Ori too).

Regarding wood color changes: It might just be my imagination, but only after a few months it seems like my cherry Atticus is darkening a bit (is that possible?) It's looking even better now than when I got it.

I just have to hear the Atticus. The Eikon impressed me so much, surprised me...I'm averse to elevated treble & upper midrange glare (= instant headache), and I'd heard Eikon was the "flattest" ZMF design. But when I listened to them on several amps, that's not what I heard at all. It's an extremely balanced, "here it all is" headphone w/excellent midrange presence. Nothing is extreme; it's all about subtlety & clarity.

And yet...various reviews & user comments suggest the Atticus would be the real "home run" for my sonic tastes, which lean towards warmth & impactful lower frequencies, starting in lower midrange.

Re darkening of cherry wood, that definitely can take place over a period of months. The process is slowed greatly if the headphones are stored away from light. If they're kept out in the openy w/moderate ambient light, changes aren't rapid, but they're happening. If you leave them out in the sunlight, portions of the wood getting direct sun will darken faster than portions that aren't--that kind of differential darkening is not an effect most people appreciate, so direct sunlight is a no-no.

Jun 12, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #3,790 of 9,714
I just have to hear the Atticus. The Eikon impressed me so much, surprised me...I'm averse to elevated treble & upper midrange glare (= instant headache), and I'd heard Eikon was the "flattest" ZMF design. But when I listened to them on several amps, that's not what I heard at all. It's an extremely balanced, "here it all is" headphone w/excellent midrange presence. Nothing is extreme; it's all about subtlety & clarity.

Yeap, Tyll mentioned he thought the Eikon was "polite" I disagree. Like @Pharmaboy I found the Eikon is... subtle, balanced with excellent clarity. Unlike my W1000X and HE 4, it doesn't... have an over emphasized presence. So depending on how the track is recorded mastered, you may have a LOT of energy and aggression or you won't

Jun 12, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #3,791 of 9,714
Yeap, Tyll mentioned he thought the Eikon was "polite" I disagree. Like @Pharmaboy I found the Eikon is... subtle, balanced with excellent clarity. Unlike my W1000X and HE 4, it doesn't... have an over emphasized presence. So depending on how the track is recorded mastered, you may have a LOT of energy and aggression or you won't

When i listened to the Eikon at CanJam i would have described it as polite (especially by comparison to the Atticus), but by no means lacking substance. I just recently experienced the huge difference an amp can make specifically on the energy of a headphone. I considered my HE1000 v2 polite for a long time until i got my new Wells Audio Milo amp (previously had Mojo, Lyr 2, Jotenheim). The Milo has uncovered an added energy that i'm absolutely loving. If i had reviewed the HE1000 with the Jot it would have been a different review than with the Milo, and some may have been dissuaded because of my description of the former (lacking energy) when really it was a result of the amp being used, not the headphone lacking ability. We all know what a difference amps can make, but i think sometimes reviewers should make more of an effort to emphasize differences created by the gear that accompanies the headphone. I also really like when they offer their personal taste to provide us with some context to their opinion. It's usually about the headphone through whatever the reviewer considers their "reference" setup. I would really value a focus on how the sound changes with different amp pairings to truly express the potential character of a headphone. This would be a lot more work as it would prove to be a bunch of sub-reviews within the parent review, but this would also set it apart. I'm making some general statements and this is not to take away from the effort of reviewers as i'm sure it is no easy task. But when thousands of dollars are on the line we are searching for every kernel of valuable accurate insight to guide our decisions. Sorry for the rant.

Jun 12, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #3,792 of 9,714
When i listened to the Eikon at CanJam i would have described it as polite (especially by comparison to the Atticus), but by no means lacking substance. I just recently experienced the huge difference an amp can make specifically on the energy of a headphone. I considered my HE1000 v2 polite for a long time until i got my new Wells Audio Milo amp (previously had Mojo, Lyr 2, Jotenheim). The Milo has uncovered an added energy that i'm absolutely loving. If i had reviewed the HE1000 with the Jot it would have been a different review than with the Milo, and some may have been dissuaded because of my description of the former (lacking energy) when really it was a result of the amp being used, not the headphone lacking ability. We all know what a difference amps can make, but i think sometimes reviewers should make more of an effort to emphasize differences created by the gear that accompanies the headphone. I also really like when they offer their personal taste to provide us with some context to their opinion. It's usually about the headphone through whatever the reviewer considers their "reference" setup. I would really value a focus on how the sound changes with different amp pairings to truly express the potential character of a headphone. This would be a lot more work as it would prove to be a bunch of sub-reviews within the parent review, but this would also set it apart. I'm making some general statements and this is not to take away from the effort of reviewers as i'm sure it is no easy task. But when thousands of dollars are on the line we are searching for every kernel of valuable accurate insight to guide our decisions. Sorry for the rant.

well I typically talk about how my experience changes with my different amps, I have three, a Balanced Desktop Solid State, a portable Single End Solid State and my Project Ember II tube, what makes my Ember II so special is that the Resistance Output can be changed! With the Eikon at .1R it terrible, Polite would be a kind way to describe how the Eikon . At 35R out the sound OPENS UP a lot I get more dynamics and everything sounds better.

The problem is not every one has that mind set, and we really should!

Jun 12, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #3,793 of 9,714
well I typically talk about how my experience changes with my different amps, I have three, a Balanced Desktop Solid State, a portable Single End Solid State and my Project Ember II tube, what makes my Ember II so special is that the Resistance Output can be changed! With the Eikon at .1R it terrible, Polite would be a kind way to describe how the Eikon . At 35R out the sound OPENS UP a lot I get more dynamics and everything sounds better.

The problem is not every one has that mind set, and we really should!

I have multiple amps, too, and get something different & good out of each one on different headphones. But if I end up getting an Atticus, it's very likely I'll get the Ember, exactly for the reason you mention (switchable output impedance feature--rare, never saw it before).

There've been fascinating posts in this thread about testing home-made adapters that change the output impedance of any SE amp. Haven't seen results of those tests (2 or 3 head-fi'ers were talking about this ~1 month ago), but the early consensus was the Atticus, more than most headphones, would benefit from a higher output impedance connection. The Ember is an affordable, convenient way to play around with that variable (alternative to spending big bucks on an OTL amp). Plus, pretty much everyone says it sounds quite good.

Jun 13, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #3,794 of 9,714
I have multiple amps, too, and get something different & good out of each one on different headphones. But if I end up getting an Atticus, it's very likely I'll get the Ember, exactly for the reason you mention (switchable output impedance feature--rare, never saw it before).

There've been fascinating posts in this thread about testing home-made adapters that change the output impedance of any SE amp. Haven't seen results of those tests (2 or 3 head-fi'ers were talking about this ~1 month ago), but the early consensus was the Atticus, more than most headphones, would benefit from a higher output impedance connection. The Ember is an affordable, convenient way to play around with that variable (alternative to spending big bucks on an OTL amp). Plus, pretty much everyone says it sounds quite good.

It's phenomenal, and according to Jeremy, Output resistance is the secret sauce to "synergy" which is why on their amps you can adjust it. An both the Eikon and Atticus sound the best out of my Ember at 35R, I lose a lot when I switch into either of my Solid States

Jun 14, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #3,795 of 9,714
By Vali 2 I assume you mean Valhalla 2? If so, I really like the combo. Enough that I decided to upgrade to a Decware Taboo to experience a better tube amp. The Atticus seems to really respond well to tubes. The Vali 2 thinned out the midrange a bit which can help on some material. Great combination for the money! Mine will be going on the classifieds soon - if you want to do an end around PM me.
wow taboo mark IV is $2195- you are so luicky to have such a stereo equip budget

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back