ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
May 6, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #3,632 of 9,747
Is the turn around as long as some are saying would really love get these hp's..

May 6, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #3,633 of 9,747
Just received my Eikon 2 days ago. Just wanted to share some impressions concerning amps. Bought the Valhalla 2 for the Eikon and have been listening mostly on this amp with the Mojo serving as a dac. Thought it was ok until I until I experimented by running the Eikon just through the Mojo. (As an dac/amp). Wow. It was like a haze was removed and I could actually hear the punchy quality of the Eikon. Soundstage and imaging improved also. Made me think about ss for the Eikon. Definitely selling the Valhalla. First in the running for me now is the Wells Milo. Any thoughts??

May 6, 2017 at 1:34 AM Post #3,634 of 9,747
Just received my Eikon 2 days ago. Just wanted to share some impressions concerning amps. Bought the Valhalla 2 for the Eikon and have been listening mostly on this amp with the Mojo serving as a dac. Thought it was ok until I until I experimented by running the Eikon just through the Mojo. (As an dac/amp). Wow. It was like a haze was removed and I could actually hear the punchy quality of the Eikon. Soundstage and imaging improved also. Made me think about ss for the Eikon. Definitely selling the Valhalla. First in the running for me now is the Wells Milo. Any thoughts??

I have the Wells Audio Milo and think it is wonderful with the Eikon, but it is the only amp I have heard with the Eikon.

May 6, 2017 at 5:04 AM Post #3,635 of 9,747
Is the turn around as long as some are saying would really love get these hp's..
In a word, yes. I ordered on February 12 starting at order #98 and I am currently just now breaking into the high twenties. Don't buy expecting to get them soon. Buy expecting to have to wait for what may be the best new closed headphone on the market. There's close to 70 orders on the list now. So you would certainly have to wait a while. I would suspect based on personal experience that you'll end up waiting close to 10 weeks. Don't let that discourage you from ordering though! I'm certain you'll find it worth the wait.

May 6, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #3,636 of 9,747
Just an uodate of the amps I have heard the Atticus on so far

KENZIE >> AURIS HA2SE=MOGWAI > PHONITOR E >> CAYIN IHA6 > MAKOYI > HE-9 = SANGAKU > AUNE S7

So Far the Kenzie rocks the Atticus the best. It is just as punchy as my Mogwai, has tighter bass, more open mids, and a faster decay, all while keeping the body and tone density of my Mogwai.

I am not sure how much I am preferring the Mogwai over the Auris now. The Auris is really good for the Atticus and my Kennerton Odin. The Auris and the Kenzie are both as dynamic as each other and focused but the Kenzie has better midrange clarity and sounds more refined by just a bit. The Mogwai is heavier sounding than both by a little but has longer decay and is less controlled than the Kenzie and Auris yet it sounds more pure than the Auris and a little less grainy.

At this point I must say the Kenzie is one heck of an amp.

Great info, sir, thank you. I will put the Kenzie near the top of my list for an eventual amp upgrade.

May 6, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #3,638 of 9,747
I'm sure Zach could give you better info but the Padauk wood has caused some delays due to a bad batch or something. Cherry orders seem to be going through more quickly.

Yes - so we had a slight delay in getting our new batch of cups back from our CNC processor. All is good now and we'll be getting the wood this week but it did delay some of the padauk orders by a week or two. The good news is we've built all the Chassis for a substantial number of the Paduak orders so those will be going out pretty quickly after we get the wood in this week. Expect a large shipment of padauk headphones the week of 5/14.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 6, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #3,639 of 9,747

The Wells Milo is an awesome amp and a great choice. I've been incredibly satisfied with it.

May 6, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #3,640 of 9,747
Just curious, what store carries the Atticus and Eikon? I thought they were all being drop shipped directly from ZMF?

I'm based in Singapore. Zeppelin & Co at the famous electronics wonder mall Sim Lim Square carries the ZMF and also many others. You can audition and have a cuppa, and while you're at it, wonder what the heck are you gonna find the funds to pay for another toy. :dt880smile:

https://www.facebook.com/zeppelinandco/

May 6, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #3,641 of 9,747
The Milo is a beast. Love mine with my Eikon and my Ori. The Jotunheim isn't bad with the Eikon either, but the Milo is noticably better in staging, clarity, and more balanced sounding.

May 7, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #3,642 of 9,747
Just curious - is there any connection between the Mogwai amp and the great Scottish post-rock band Mogwai?
I assume they're both named after the creature from the movie Gremlins.

May 7, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #3,643 of 9,747
This weekend .. I switched back to the Atticus after a week of the Eikon ... wow .. I am sure glad I have these two headphones to switch back and forth with .. I'm never going to get bored.. plus 13 sets of tubes to roll on a mjornir 2 .. I guess I will always have something different to look forward to .. I'm sure glad I'm not married... no WAF in my vocabulary...

May 7, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #3,644 of 9,747
This weekend .. I switched back to the Atticus after a week of the Eikon ... wow .. I am sure glad I have these two headphones to switch back and forth with .. I'm never going to get bored.. plus 13 sets of tubes to roll on a mjornir 2 .. I guess I will always have something different to look forward to .. I'm sure glad I'm not married... no WAF in my vocabulary...

I'm curious about this post. What is it you hear from the Atticus that you don't get from the Eikon (and vice versa)?

I've been lurking here for months, primarily interested in the Atticus, based on descriptions of its tuning (which seemed close to my preferences). In that time, I've gotten an Ori (love it!); also had several recent opportunities to listen to the Eikon. Last week spent more time w/it, also was able to compare to the Ori (fascinating comparision).

Anyway, I'm extremely impressed w/the Eikon. It seems to do everything so well. The descriptions its Eikon made me think I wouldn't like it, but that turns out not true at all.

All of which makes me even more curious about the Atticus: ie, if the Eikon is that good, would the Atticus be even better (in the absolute sense; or just for my sonic tastes)?

Hope to hear the Atticus in early June at a meet on Long Island.

May 7, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #3,645 of 9,747
I'm curious about this post. What is it you hear from the Atticus that you don't get from the Eikon (and vice versa)?

Hope to hear the Atticus in early June at a meet on Long Island.

I'll be at the L.I. meet too...not sure if Zach himself is going but ZMF is listed on the vendors attending,so im guessing both A&E will be there to demo.

@zach915m care to clarify?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back