ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Oct 18, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #271 of 9,711
  Zach have you got any pics of aged clear cherry vibro cups? I'd like to see how the cups colour have changed over time.

Good call!  So this is my personal Cherry Omni that was made right at the beginning of production of the Omni somewhere in the middle of 2015?  I was shocked when I pulled this out for the photo, but this thing has darkened a lot.  It's almost a pumpkin yellow color, kinda cool! The Atticus in the pic is a prototype made about a month ago.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Oct 18, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #272 of 9,711
That aged cherry is drop-dead beautiful IMO. There's a reason people use dozens of board-feet of cherry for furniture.

All woods darken over time, some more than others, result of UV radiation in sunlight + oxidation in wood. Most often, the effect is rather pleasing.

One day soon I'll own a pair of these (Atticus or Omni's). Then I'll face a primal dilemma: look at them? or listen to them?

Oct 18, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #274 of 9,711
Wow, I was thinking I'd have to save up a little longer than I'd expected because Padauk is more costly than Cherry but looking at that 1 year old Omni... wow. That's incredible. Going to have to reconsider my options now!

Oct 18, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #275 of 9,711
That aged cherry is drop-dead beautiful IMO. There's a reason people use dozens of board-feet of cherry for furniture.

All woods darken over time, some more than others, result of UV radiation in sunlight + oxidation in wood. Most often, the effect is rather pleasing.

One day soon I'll own a pair of these (Atticus or Omni's). Then I'll face a primal dilemma: look at them? or listen to them?

Get a mirror and do both.

Oct 18, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #276 of 9,711
how promising are the bass on the both models, when EQed, will both have a good amount, and quality, compared to a lot of good bass 50mm drivers? 
@zach915m

what will these headphone have,that will remark the sound, in your opinon? 

Oct 18, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #277 of 9,711

Do both.  Set up a mirror where you listen, then you can stare in wonder at the beauty that is your sexy head with Atticus on it.

Edit:  Blah...  @Hansotek  beat me to it.

Oct 18, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #278 of 9,711
I probably could have budgeted one of these headphones in, but I just ordered the Stax 3100 headphone amp combo instead. They aren't as pretty, but I have heard good things about the sound quality.

Oct 18, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #279 of 9,711

Do both.  Set up a mirror where you listen, then you can stare in wonder at the beauty that is your sexy head with Atticus on it.

Edit:  Blah...  @Hansotek  beat me to it.

Funny comments. My wife already thinks I'm 1/2 w/the whole headphone thing. If I start gazing into mirrors w/headphones on...I'll end up in treatment of "audio narcissism."

Re "sexy head" (another funny comment)--see my H-F avatar? That's my actual headshot...

Oct 18, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #280 of 9,711
I probably could have budgeted one of these headphones in, but I just ordered the Stax 3100 headphone amp combo instead. They aren't as pretty, but I have heard good things about the sound quality.

Thanks for letting us know lol

Oct 19, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #283 of 9,711
How do you guys think the project ember would be with the eikon? Never had a tube amp and would prefer something small and portable enough if I was to move countries. 

The aged cherrry looks great also Zach, cheers.

Oct 19, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #284 of 9,711
  How do you guys think the project ember would be with the eikon? Never had a tube amp and would prefer something small and portable enough if I was to move countries. 

The aged cherrry looks great also Zach, cheers.

It's great with the HD650 so I would expect a similar quality pairing with the Eikon.  Makes a great tube-buffered preamp also.

Oct 19, 2016 at 4:55 AM Post #285 of 9,711
Wow! Look at the new cups! They make the Omni look small
biggrin.gif

Nice impressions @grizzlybeast
Very exhaustive and right to the point!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back