ATTENTION: Quoteunquote
Aug 7, 2006 at 7:39 PM Post #181 of 248
Paypal doesn't do much for the seller either. For instance we offer a downloadable product, which Paypal's terms state they pretty much don't interfere. Well someone bought from us, I sent them the download info, and then 29 days later they file a complaint in German. I translate it, and apparently the excuse is we haven't mailed anything to the person. I mean snail mail. I find some other addresses registered to said person and send from multiple addresses in an attempt to resolve the issue. I request read receipts. The mails are read but no reply.

I file my side of the story with Paypal. They want a tracking number, but of course there is no tracking number (Somethingawful ran into something similar during their Katrina charity drive). They rule in favor of the customer.

I protest, I get a reply of "Yes, you're right, Paypal doesn't normally interfere in downloadable goods." Then nothing. I try again, and get told my case would be appealed. Nothing ever happened, that was 6 months ago.

So they don't abide by their own terms are not a safe payment method to use for sellers of downloadable goods. All the user has to do is say "They never mailed me anything" and boom, instant refund.

But we're not selling shareware, and the cost of a better payment system would drive the cost of our product up too much to be worth it, so there ya go.

Just the other side of the story there, it's still the only way to move money inexpensively across the ocean, and it's still the only easy-to-use inexpensive payment system, but you get what you pay for.

Aug 7, 2006 at 9:40 PM Post #182 of 248
No to promote subversive behavior or anything, but since Scamunscam is still browsing the site, what would happen if 5, 10, 60, 100 headfiers pm'd him daily, kindly and professionally requesting that he refund Gloomfire the difference and publically apologize? No threats or abuse, just kindly ask him to do the right thing...

Every freaking day, until he's forced to run away or 'fess up. This wouldn't work if he wasn't visiting the site, but he is. I'm sure he's already getting pm's about it, I just wonder if it's movement worth pursuing.
wink.gif

Aug 7, 2006 at 9:49 PM Post #183 of 248
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
No to promote subversive behavior or anything, but since Scamunscam is still browsing the site, what would happen if 5, 10, 60, 100 headfiers pm'd him daily, kindly and professionally requesting that he refund Gloomfire the difference and publically apologize? No threats or abuse, just kindly ask him to do the right thing...

Every freaking day, until he's forced to run away or 'fess up. This wouldn't work if he wasn't visiting the site, but he is. I'm sure he's already getting pm's about it, I just wonder if it's movement worth pursuing.
wink.gif

dont know how much good it will do since he is not a contributor his pm box would always be full...

Aug 7, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #184 of 248
I don't know plainsong, but I was thinking of posting something like that in this thread. I'm sure he's reading this thread, probably the reason he keeps logging in.

And QuQ to be honest, you can still do the right thing. Sure people will be apprehensive to deal with you but if you refund gloomfire the amount that you still have then at least you can show us that you didn't do this with bad intentions. You're just not in a situation to sell stuff online ATM. But make it right, if only so you can live with yourself a bit better.
Better too late than not at all.

Aug 7, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #185 of 248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
I don't know plainsong, but I was thinking of posting something like that in this thread. I'm sure he's reading this thread, probably the reason he keeps logging in.

And QuQ to be honest, you can still do the right thing. Sure people will be apprehensive to deal with you but if you refund gloomfire the amount that you still have then at least you can show us that you didn't do this with bad intentions. You're just not in a situation to sell stuff online ATM. But make it right, if only so you can live with yourself a bit better.
Better too late than not at all.

Well it was a nice thought but I suppose the danger is people violating the rules by not exactly being mature. And maybe the idea itself is immature, who knows, it was just an idea to reach through the screen and *whap* *whap* *whap* him on the head.
wink.gif

It's not even about forum reputation anymore. I suppose he does squat nothing because that was his only motivation to act ethically. It's just about right and wrong. Unless he's some sociopath, he knows the difference between the two.

Aug 8, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #186 of 248
One time, I sold a Grado SR-125 on ebay, insured for the full amount but failed to buy the tracking (I thought that by insured the item for the full amonth, nothing can went wrong). The seller filed dispute directly w/ Paypal that he/she didn't recieved an item (the buyer failed to contact me that tell me that he/she didn't recieve the package). After I learned of the claimed, I tried contacting the buyer that I did insured for the package and we should filed a claim through USPS, but no response. I tried to explain to Paypal, but they didn't listen and credited all the money to the buyer. I ended up got my money back from the insurance 9 months later.

Aug 8, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #187 of 248
somehow he's still listed to attend the LA meet on saturday
plainface.gif

Doubting that he will actually attend, i've decided to make a special name tag
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 8, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #188 of 248
If by some chance he DOES show up, PLEASE make his life hell.

Aug 8, 2006 at 1:38 AM Post #189 of 248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gloomfire
If by some chance he DOES show up, PLEASE make his life hell.

I am sure a few people will want to have a nice chat with him about it.
wink.gif

Aug 8, 2006 at 9:18 AM Post #190 of 248
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
I am sure a few people will want to have a nice chat with him about it.
wink.gif

Hey, I'll donate money to the Gloomfire refund fund if someone will film it.
wink.gif

Aug 8, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #192 of 248
i will donate one dollar for every documented "chat" that you land on QUQ's noggin - you know, so it sinks in. seeing as how that's one hundred and six chats plus change, gloom will walk away with his cash and QUQ will have plenty of knowledge dropped on him - for educational purposes of course.
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 9, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #194 of 248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
i will donate one dollar for every documented "chat" that you land on QUQ's noggin - you know, so it sinks in. seeing as how that's one hundred and six chats plus change, gloom will walk away with his cash and QUQ will have plenty of knowledge dropped on him - for educational purposes of course.
evil_smiley.gif

That's cruel.
I'd like to donate a few bottles of the worst rotgut (now with extra methyl).
This way he could enjoy the "chats" under influence.
And some world class headaches next morning ..........

Aug 9, 2006 at 1:40 AM Post #195 of 248
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
That's cruel.
I'd like to donate a few bottles of the worst rotgut (now with extra methyl).
This way he could enjoy the "chats" under influence.
And some world class headaches next morning ..........

indeed, chats via a bottle to the noggin is called giving it the old "Message in a Bottle" delivery.
evil_smiley.gif

but yeah i expect them to dump the swill first. don't want to ruin good rotgut.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back