Attention everyone! Stop using IEM filters!
Jan 27, 2010 at 1:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

RedSky0

1000+ Head-Fier
Use tiny bits of cotton swab instead!

Why? Because it's infinitesimally cheaper than replacing the filters, sounds almost the same.

The problem at least for me with standard filters is after a month or so balance is slightly skewed to one side by ear muck build up and that infuriates the obsessive compulsive in me.

Just roll two smidgen of cotton into a ball, stick them in and once you've adjusted their sizes slightly for L/R balance you're good to go.

Jan 27, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #2 of 27
Sounds like a plan. Sometimes, low-tech is best! Should try that method out.

Jan 27, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #3 of 27
awesome idea! still have some filters left but when I run out, always good to have a back up plan that is more cost effective.

Jan 27, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSky0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Use tiny bits of cotton swab instead!

Why? Because it's infinitesimally cheaper than replacing the filters, sounds almost the same.

The problem at least for me with standard filters is after a month or so balance is slightly skewed to one side by ear muck build up and that infuriates the obsessive compulsive in me.

Just roll two smidgen of cotton into a ball, stick them in and once you've adjusted their sizes slightly for L/R balance you're good to go.

Almost, but not quite. Serious manufacturers usually choose filters that suit the sound signature of their IEMs best. If you can't tell the difference, great, but this will not work for everyone. Personally, I think stock filters usually sound better than any stuff I ever tried to replace them with. Same with earbud foams actually. For example, I found the stock Yuin foams sound better on their earbuds than any other foams I tried.

Jan 27, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #5 of 27
Maybe you could just clean your IEM tips and filter surface with rubbin alcohol every couple of days instead of waiting a whole month.

Jan 27, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Almost, but not quite. Serious, manufacturers usually choose filters that suit the sound signature of their IEMs best.

x2
The point is that acoustic filters are specially chosen to shape sound signature.
Of course cotton works the same but you don't control peaks this way. You can add cotton, but you will never add the same amout of it per ear. So you earphones will be unbalanced between channels.
I've tried it with PFE - its useless, and it's waste of time

Jan 27, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #7 of 27
Well let's take my IEMs, Phonak PFE - they provide two different filters and both have tottally different sound signatures.

On that evidence, I do find it difficult to believe I won't notice the differnce in SQ, but it's a good idea and I'll definitely have a try to see what it sounds like.

Jan 27, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #8 of 27
I agree with your points, there's certainly a difference, but not a huge one to my ears at least. There's no harm in trying it either when you're planning to switch out filters, heck some people might prefer the change to the sound it makes. Also, it's really easy to get the balance right, don't know what you're talking about there. It takes some fiddling sure, but it's a lot quicker than waiting the week or so it takes to get replacement filter shipping in.

Jan 28, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #9 of 27
I just have a slightly tangent response here. I recently got a pair of q-jays and as is well documented, the filters clog up very easily.

Me being a starving student, I can't afford the new replacement filters from JAYS so I decided to test if I can clean the filters without removing the adhesive.

So far I found that windex does this perfectly, however I don't know how many times I could do this.

Just my 2 cents.

Jan 28, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Almost, but not quite. Serious manufacturers usually choose filters that suit the sound signature of their IEMs best. If you can't tell the difference, great, but this will not work for everyone. Personally, I think stock filters usually sound better than any stuff I ever tried to replace them with.

x2, with very few exceptions. One of them worth mentioning is the RE1 which sounds rather dark with stock filters. Therefore I did ClieOS' treble mod (= removing filters) that brightens the sound but IME makes the upper midrange a bit echoey. Reading this thread I decided to try cotton swab and voila, best of both worlds: smooth sound, no echo and noticably better treble than with original filters. Thanks to the OP for the tip!
beerchug.gif

Jan 28, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2, with very few exceptions. One of them worth mentioning is the RE1 which sounds rather dark with stock filters. Therefore I did ClieOS' treble mod (= removing filters) that brightens the sound but IME makes the upper midrange a bit echoey. Reading this thread I decided to try cotton swab and voila, best of both worlds: smooth sound, no echo and noticably better treble than with original filters. Thanks to the OP for the tip!
beerchug.gif

What effect would it have on the RE0 I wonder? Maybe this is a way to get more forward mids without the raised treble?

Jan 28, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ansextra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm.... I have UE Super Fi 5 Pro's and UE 700's. Neither one uses a filter.

erm... think you better tell UE themselves that they don't put 2 filters inside each ear of the Super Fi 5 Pro's.

oh... and while your at it don't mention anything about the single filter they stuff inside each ear of your 700's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back