Attention everyone! Stop using IEM filters!
Feb 5, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSky0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Use tiny bits of cotton swab instead!
-snip-
The problem at least for me with standard filters is after a month or so balance is slightly skewed to one side by ear muck build up and that infuriates the obsessive compulsive in me.
-snip-

Lol. I am "obsessive compulsive" in a different way, with a more traditional use for my q-tips!. I fastidiously clean my ears at least once a day, it's something I have done as a kid. I know, I know; ear wax is normal, and healthy, and never having any can lead to problems. But I haven't had any ear infections since I was a kid either, and that was before I was in charge of cleaning my own ears. As an adult, I have never had a build-up of earwax. My favorite time to q-tip them is when I get out of the shower, but any ol' time will do when I get the "itch", and the swabs are in reach
biggrin.gif

So perhaps this mod isn't for me, unless it actually improves the sound quality somehow over a clean filter. My ER-6is are 5 years old, and the extra filters it came with have never been needed!

Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2, with very few exceptions. One of them worth mentioning is the RE1 which sounds rather dark with stock filters. Therefore I did ClieOS' treble mod (= removing filters) that brightens the sound but IME makes the upper midrange a bit echoey. Reading this thread I decided to try cotton swab and voila, best of both worlds: smooth sound, no echo and noticably better treble than with original filters. Thanks to the OP for the tip!
beerchug.gif

But my RE-1s are on the way, I had to try them at this price, so let me get this straight: take out the filters if the RE-1s are too "dark" for my tastes, then if the result is too "bright", put cotton in their place. Hmm...

Mar 25, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2, with very few exceptions. One of them worth mentioning is the RE1 which sounds rather dark with stock filters. Therefore I did ClieOS' treble mod (= removing filters) that brightens the sound but IME makes the upper midrange a bit echoey. Reading this thread I decided to try cotton swab and voila, best of both worlds: smooth sound, no echo and noticably better treble than with original filters. Thanks to the OP for the tip!
beerchug.gif

I guess this requires experimenting with different the amount of cotton placed into the phone? I put a cotton ball the size of its mouth and it sounds pretty good, what size did u put?

Mar 27, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #20 of 27
You wouldnt be able to judge with the photo at that size imo.
James, i found an optimum size and i still needed a treble boost on the nano to make it sound really balanced, how about you?

Mar 27, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrivs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could you perhaps make a photo of that? I dont quite get what you mean...

Thanks.

The cotton wool on a Q-tip is a bit longer than the stem. If you cut right above the end of the stem, you get a small cap of cotton wool the perfect size for a filter. Hope this explains what I mean, otherwise I'll try to take a picture.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljcii /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You wouldnt be able to judge with the photo at that size imo.
James, i found an optimum size and i still needed a treble boost on the nano to make it sound really balanced, how about you?

Depends on source. They sound pretty balanced with my AMP3, however this is a bright sounding DAP. On my Sony A845 I have to use the EQ. Having said that, the synergy between the RE1 and Sony's S-Master amp is stunning, I never expected that. I'm going to post more about that later.

Mar 27, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #23 of 27
I'll be waiting on the update. I have a friend who has that player which i can have a go on with my re-1s. I'm already hearing details in the high frequency range with the cotton mod.

Mar 27, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #24 of 27
^ Stand by. All I'm saying now, to my surprise the S-Master amp drives the RE1 as effortlessly as anything, plus I'm playing with EQ settings that give stunning response and good extension from 20Hz to 16KHz.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back