Attaching an E12 to an X3: useful?
Aug 21, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #16 of 21
@bellor: I'm not talking about double amping. I'm talking about bypassing the X3's internal amp by using LO -> External Amp. Depending on the amp, you can definitely get increased clarity, soundstage, attack, decay, etc. I'm not trying to start an argument with you, but I don't want the OP to be scared off from experimenting and finding the sound they enjoy most.

OK. I understand you now.  I also forgot to mention what output I was thinking of for the connection between the X3 and E12.
I agree that, if the E12 seems like a better amp to anyone, they can use it as a final stage for the X3. Of course, if the amp seems better on the E12, I think there should be a way to swap out the IC opamp of the X3 with the one in the E12. Cheaper and more pride-generating. :)

Aug 22, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #17 of 21
Did someone try to connect headphones to player Line Out?

For me (Fiio X5, Sennheiser 650) it sounds MUCH MORE louder than my usual level of Headphone Out.

In this case I will use E12 not to amplify but to attenuate Line Out signal.

This looks very strange.

Aug 22, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #18 of 21
OK. I understand you now.  I also forgot to mention what output I was thinking of for the connection between the X3 and E12.
I agree that, if the E12 seems like a better amp to anyone, they can use it as a final stage for the X3. Of course, if the amp seems better on the E12, I think there should be a way to swap out the IC opamp of the X3 with the one in the E12. Cheaper and more pride-generating. :)

ClieOS actually started an X3 mod thread where he described swapping out X3's opamp with one he prefers and uses less juice, effectively increasing sound quality and battery life in one fell swoop. Others have done the same with various opamps. If I was proficient with electronics, I'd give it a shot. Or if someone proficient wanted to try it on my X3, I'd be up for it :wink:.

Aug 23, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #19 of 21
ClieOS actually started an X3 mod thread where he described swapping out X3's opamp with one he prefers and uses less juice, effectively increasing sound quality and battery life in one fell swoop. Others have done the same with various opamps. If I was proficient with electronics, I'd give it a shot. Or if someone proficient wanted to try it on my X3, I'd be up for it :wink:.

How can the X3 (FW 3.0) sound quality be improved? Its FR is as flat as it can get, and if you use any headphones that X3 is capable of driving (so almost any portable phone), the X3 will just do that. If an amp's sound is changed, some phones may sound better and others worse. But it's not the amp by itself that sounds better. I would avoid amps that change the sound in any significant way. This is what EQ is for. (OK, X3 is still lacking this important feature.)
Extended battery life may be well worth the modding, though. And it seems to be fun, too, otherwise much less people would do it.

Aug 24, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #20 of 21
How can the X3 (FW 3.0) sound quality be improved? Its FR is as flat as it can get, and if you use any headphones that X3 is capable of driving (so almost any portable phone), the X3 will just do that. If an amp's sound is changed, some phones may sound better and others worse. But it's not the amp by itself that sounds better. I would avoid amps that change the sound in any significant way. This is what EQ is for. (OK, X3 is still lacking this important feature.)
Extended battery life may be well worth the modding, though. And it seems to be fun, too, otherwise much less people would do it.

I think you're answering some of your questions.

1. The X3 doesn't have a sophisticated EQ.
2. Perfectly flat isn't everyone's preferred sound signature.
3. Thus, swapping opamps can overcome 1 & 2 for some people.

Similar to why some people prefer using an amp like the O2 while others might prefer the Intruder. It improves the sound quality for that person by providing their preferred sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back