Atlanta Meet Marriott Century Center April 25th
Apr 23, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #92 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by cybertron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Trav, Just wanted to say thanks for your willingness to help me out if possible. I do have one tiny tiny comment... If it is at all possible, when setting up and placing the equipment, maybe just see if someone with short arms could reach it? I honestly have no idea how the room will be setup, but I remember a church setup a couple years ago and from the pictures it was basically a large U shaped layout of tables with couches on the outside... I think i could have pretty easily gone from the back/inside the U shape to reach/hear most stuff. I'm one person though, so I dont want to make this any extra work, but I just figured I'd mention it so that no one was like "oh duh, that would have been easy, I didnt think about that." and then goes on to say... "Sucks to be you, cripple!" haha, I'm kidding. But yeah, if you think of anything. And cables are no big deal.. my tires are rubber and wont cause any damage. Of course, I dont know much about those crazy expensive power cables, so if they shant be walked/rolled on, maybe keep them all to one side and I'll go down the other?

In my experience, people don't normally think about these kinds of things... to no fault of their own of course... I just would feel real bad if I screwed up someones cables. I'll definitely be mindful.

Got you hooked up with an entrance and a table in the back...sans le steps!

Apr 23, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #93 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So no changes in the location?

Will be driving. If it is possible to listen AKG601, AD900, and AD2000?

Will bring a pile of (classical and jazz) CDs to test.

No change in venue. We good!

Apr 23, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #95 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by AerosSaga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can we come up with a Twitter hashtag before the meet so it's easy to search Twitter for all our impressions of the meet as it happens? Perhaps something like #headfiatl or the like? Here is some background on what I mean for those who may not be familiar.

Twitter Fan Wiki / Hashtags

Sounds like a really good idea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I figured it was about time that something like this got posted to remind (or inform) attendees about the unofficial code of conduct at Head-Fi meets. I wish I would give credit to whomever originally put this together but alas, I know not who. It's been used as long as I can remember as a part of every NYC meet and it's worked pretty well. So all that said, I submit the following taken (and tweaked) from SiBurning's Tips for Newbies:

[size=medium]Tips for Newbies[/size]

[size=small]Personal Hygene is important.[/size]
* Wash your hair and your ears--and behind your ears.
* Avoid the use of products like hair gel, hair spray, mousse, etc. Seriously, some of the headphones you'll have the opportunity to try cost more than a good used car. I don't want your hair gunk on my headphones, thanks.
* Clean out your ears so you can hear better.
* If you clean the canal with peroxide, do it a few of days before the meet--give those stray waxed klingons time to leave.
* Don't forget the deodorant (THIS goes for Oldtimers as well). Baby powder & cologne are not adequate substitutes.
* With all the gear & other members, it gets warm in the room. Dress accordingly.
[size=small]The most important thing of all is to have fun.[/size]
* Meets are Great, so be prepared to have a great day with fellow Head-fi members.
* Bring whatever gear you want. If you don't have any, that's OK. Just bring your ears.
* You can try whatever gear you want but be polite, ask permission, don't be a gear hog, etc.
* If you have any questions about gear, look for the owner and ask. Or just ask whoever is listening (after they're done).
* Everyone is very friendly and will be glad to answer you.
* Most of us know each other for some time now so don't think that people are ignoring you... unless you didn't take a shower before the meet and smell.
* Do not be shy.
* Mingle.
* You will find everyone to be very friendly & helpful.
* Most of all enjoy yourself & take the opportunity to hear gear you normally wouldn't get a chance to, or are thinking of buying.
[size=small]Get organized.[/size]
* Take a mental (or written) list of what you want to hear. If you do this before the meet, leave some time to look around and listen to some surprises.
* You'll be overwhelmed with the amount of gear that will be at the meet.
* Read the impressions thread afterward. You'll realize you missed listening to something you wanted to hear.
* Time Flies at these meets.
[size=small]Remember that you're trying out another member's gear.[/size]
* Treat all gear with the utmost respect.
* Ask if you're not sure how to operate any gear, or you're just curious about the system setup. Some gear requires headphones to be plugged in at all times, some gear doesn't like it when you unplug headphones unless the volume is turned all the way around. Don't just assume that everything works the same way. Just ask, it can save a lot of heartache.
* Some gear is really, really, really, really expensive. As previously stated some member and manufacturer rigs are going to cost more than some of us make in a year.
* Other gear... the owner only thinks it's precious. Respect the owner's wishes.
* Give it all the velvet cushion treatment.
* If you have any doubt or questions, ask.
* Do not place headphones on top of other gear--if you're not sure where to put it, ask the owner.
* Do not remove any gear from a setup without the owner's permission.
* Do not remove any cables or make any other changes to the setup without the owner's permission.
* If you do take gear away from a table, or borrow cables, adapters, or power strips, try to remember where you got it from, and bring it back when you're done. In all the excitement, it's easy to forget where you got that 1/4" to 3.5mm headphone adapter.
* If you listen loud remember to lower the volume for the next person.
* If you don't know or are just curious about something, ask someone. Anyone. Someone knows, or knows someone who knows.
Hopefully that's a good start, additions are certainly welcome, I just wanted to get the ball rolling. My flight for CanJam departs in 35 days, 18 hours, +/- a few minutes, I can't wait.
icon10.gif

This is from CANJAM post but should be good for all in attendance to remember.

Apr 24, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #96 of 139
Just did a quick recount including the original meet post, thus far looking like 20-21 firm and 35-36 possible. Thank goodness for this larger room.

Apr 24, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #97 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just did a quick recount including the original meet post, thus far looking like 20-21 firm and 35-36 possible. Thank goodness for this larger room.

About how many are expected to be bringing gear?

Apr 24, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #98 of 139
I'll be there around noon. Bringing my main rig (in the sig), unless someone also wants to listen to a rockboxed 5.5g iPod.

Apr 24, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #99 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About how many are expected to be bringing gear?

Skimming through the posts I counted 17, and that's not counting those who posted in the original thread. It's a very good thing Trav snagged the bigger room or we might have run into some space issues. Great job again on the room Trav.

I'm still open for carpooling for anybody in the Kennesaw/Barrett Parkway area if someone still needs a ride.

Apr 24, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #100 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got you hooked up with an entrance and a table in the back...sans le steps!

Awesome thanks Trav. Just an FYI too, I wont be bringing any gear besides a single pair of headphones and I guess my ipod for a source. So anyone is welcome to setup on that table. 24 hours and counting!

I think #headfiatl works just fine, I just used it.

Apr 24, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #103 of 139
Dropped by this AM and each table has numerous outlets and ethernet connections built in. I also stopped by Target and grabbed some name badges and a sharpie so we can "lablel" ourselves...lol. Now for something important. When driving on the service roads down here, DO NOT SPEED! Dekalb PD is like Gestapo and have been even worse the last 2 weeks. The posted limit on the service road is 45 mph. I wouldn't go over 50 mph at all. Just don't want any of us having to shell out dinero for a ticket. I was going to set up some simple catering but the coffee being $50.00 a gallon I decided to pass. Anyway there is a small cafe that opens at 0600 with Starbucks and pastries; not to mention the full service restaurant and bar.

Apr 24, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #105 of 139
Cool....I will pack up some gears tonight. Not sure about bringing all of my main rigs. I might only bring the DHA3000+L3000, W2002 w/ L3000 drivers, and HD-650 w/ upgrade cables and an Iriver IHP140 as a source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back