Atlanta Meet - July 31'st, 2005
Aug 1, 2005 at 12:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

Blorton

100+ Head-Fier
Well, that was certainly interesting!

Out of the 13 people that responded that they might make the meet, 8 actually showed up. I had everyone set up in the kitchen due to the handy proximity of multiple outlets and that mostly worked out. For a future meet, I'd go with folding tables or something in the living room.

Cable management can be interesting at one of these.
eek.gif

As expected, purk and mulveling brought over some great stuff and eagerly shared their knowledge. Hozo's homemade electrostatics made quite an impression. Naga's computer rig with emu card put on a good showing as well. Dmb367's new RockHopper M3 put in an enthusiastic audition.

The demo gear from Portaphile, RnB Audio and Z audio all received a good listening. More details on those later.

I'll let others fill in more on gear specifics for now. (I intentionally glossed over listing specifically what purk and mulveling brought because they could each take a post to describe.
icon10.gif
)

Overall, it was a great meet! Thanks everyone for coming and sharing your gear and for making it a tremendous experience.

Dan

Aug 1, 2005 at 1:31 PM Post #3 of 50
I know you are!
evil_smiley.gif
I'll post something up later today.

Dan

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazper
Blorton: Really gunning to hear your thoughts about the M³ ...

Aug 1, 2005 at 3:59 PM Post #4 of 50
Come on guys and gals...We need pics!!
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 1, 2005 at 4:01 PM Post #5 of 50
Oh Mike, those audio technica w2002 and amp looks stunning!!!!

Aug 1, 2005 at 10:06 PM Post #7 of 50
This is all I have. I didn't take too many photos.
smily_headphones1.gif

btw, can someone send me the group photo we took?

p.s. I have higher quality pictures if you want them. PM me.

Aug 2, 2005 at 12:53 AM Post #8 of 50
I will let other guys to step up and post impression. The SACDmods C555ES, RKV MKII, SDS, and several pair of headphones are mine, so I like to hear the impression from other guys. To my ears, the L3000 is definitely take the first place following by either the Senn HD-650 w/ Zu + SDS + Meridian or AKG K1000 + RKV MKII + SACDmods Sony SCD-C555ES. I was also very impressed by Joe's M^3. The M^3 sounds very powerful and come close to my PPA in many categories. The M^3 w/ STEP PSU should be up there or real close to my Maxed PPA. IMO, the M^3 is a very nice design and for the price he paid it was a bargain.

Aug 2, 2005 at 1:06 AM Post #9 of 50
The Leatherback AudioTechnicas - "A Superior HD 650", with slam, scream and transparency in shockingly equal doses

AKG K-1000 - an imposing, power greedy can, but damn they rock .....
eek.gif

I discovered i really am not a fan of " the grado sound " phew!

DT 770, very comfortable, surprisingly efficient closed can

Sony CD3000 - best headband ever - period

We did notice some clipping on the Headroom Max tho

ill have more and some pics up later

also - im even more pleased w/ my HD 580s - purk reassured me that it was a good use of money

Aug 2, 2005 at 1:48 AM Post #10 of 50
Well I'm gonna write a little bit for now, here goes

After messing with my gear for a few minutes with Dan, I stumbled over to Purks SACDmods Sony C555ES / MKII / Senn 650 - Zu setup for a listen (a beautiful amp by the way). To be honest, up until that very second, I had somewhat regretted the choices I had made and thought that I could never get a sound I could love. I had feared that maybe I was barking up the wrong tree with this hobby. The first 30 seconds of his setup blew my mind. I was, am still, almost speechless. Obviously, I had never heard anything close to this calibur of a headphone rig. The bass, dynamics, resultion, detail and wow wow wow factor took my breath away. I stood shocked for several minutes after. For me, this really showed that I'm not buying all the junk for no reason, because purks headphone rig left me wanting more. Purk, thank you; I will never forget those first 30 seconds of CD number 1, about 1:30 to 2:00 of whatever CD that you had in there. It's honestly a great feeling to hear something that good. It gave me a great idea of where I want my headphone rig to progress towards, even if it takes a fews years (and a few $$). Purk - you're the man

A few minutes later, Mike showed up with a UHaul full of gear. The Single Power SDS, which was actually purks IIRC, was freakin enormous! I almost didnt believe it at first. Mike also brought along the Meridian G08, which was probably the best looking CDP I have ever seen. Very sleek, simple, yet so elegant. Mikes taste is along those lines of elegant. Next he pulls out his Leatherhead AT L3000's. The are also quite the "looker". There is a very good reason why Mike says this is the best setup he has heard. The Leatherhead's were almost too good to be true. Very Liquid Lush sound, like you just wanna reach out and take a bite. The Single Power SDS is very detailed and very quick, I thought it matched very well with the Sony CD3000 - Silver Dragon that Purk dragged along.

If you asked someone else that was there, I think they'd agree I was the loner of the meet. I tried to listen to something the whole time, and yes, I fell in love. Mike's Grado RS2's (with Todd's flats) paired ohh so nicely with my Rockhopper M3 and electronic music preference. I listened to them on my equipment for at least an hour put together. They really blew everything else I tried out of the water, by a good margin too. I had been worried after hearing an SR60 that I may be a Grado fanboy; sure enough, I am. There goes my next paycheck!

I also enjoyed just listening to everyone else there. I learned alot from these guys just chatting around the table. It was really great to hear impressions from Mike and Purk. They just have a better way of describing sound instead of "this one sucks" and "this one rocks". I need to buff up my audiophile vocab.

I want to leave the main impressions of Hozo's DIY electrostats to the purk and mike, as I didnt get to listen much. But I did like what I heard, I expect you will be very suprised at Mike's comments.

I tried almost all the Senn. cables that were there too, so I will write a little about them tommorow.

Aug 2, 2005 at 2:09 AM Post #11 of 50
wow, seemed like a neat meet. Purk sent me pics of his cd3k, as I'm buying them from him
biggrin.gif

If purk doesn't, I'll post pics of his headphones later

I was lookin up the Meridian G08, that is one of the best looking equip i've ever seen period...but with a 7k price tag..ouch... lol

Aug 2, 2005 at 2:22 AM Post #12 of 50
Wow, I didn't know there was so much great gear nearby! You guys are about 1 hour away from me (Athens). Can I come over and listen to your stuff sometime?
eggosmile.gif

Aug 2, 2005 at 4:57 AM Post #13 of 50
Hey guys,
I didn't end up listening to much gear since I was having too much fun talking to everyone
biggrin.gif

You were all a bunch of great people, with extremely good hygiene to boot (my L3000's asked me to personally thank you for that
biggrin.gif
).

Since I'd heard most of this gear beforehand, the big surprise of the meet for me was hozo's homemade electrostats. Now, this wasnt your typical DIY headphone job of slapping some prefabricated drivers in a custom enclosure. These featured electrostatic drivers with membranes made from household materials, and I believe hozo also built the electrostsic voltage bias transformer himself. Really, like hozo I was once a Computer Science major at Georgia Tech (graduated 4 years ago), and seeing his accomplishments is giving me a bit of an inferiority complex
evil_smiley.gif

I posted my impressions of the sound in hozo's DIY thread; I've copied them below for this thread:
Quote:

The midrange was fantastic, bass was not extremely powerful but was surprisingly present, and well controlled to boot. Highs were rolled off and there seemed to be something like a "Sennheiser veil" except a bit more severe - this likely was not helped by the cheap soundcard used in his system, which rolls off after 10KHz. Would have been interesting to hear these from a decent source.

That said, despite the questionable quality of the source, the midrange on these things was really fantastic. I didn't get to listen too much but I think the mids are much, much smoother and probably faster than the hd580. Acoustic instruments/solos sounded amazing. If my first impressions held up over extended listening, then I would probably prefer them to the hd580 just for the quality of the midrange (and no, a new cable on the 580 isn't going to do it - I've had nearly every Senn cable).

I have lost interest in trying/owning other dynamic cans since falling in love with the L3000/W2002, but these homegrown jobbies have really piqued my curiosity for electrostats. If I get another headphone (and if my history is anything to go by I will) it will be an electrostat. I wouldn't mind owning something that sounds exactly like hozo's pair, either! It really was that good - you wouldn't think it could be good with driver membranes made from household materials, but damn they really did sound good. A little scary what with 3000 Volts somewhere in the chain, but well worth the risk!

My ears did get quite warm after a few minutes of use, but that may have been partially due to me getting so excited about what I was hearing from these cans

If Stax 404's are much better than this, they must be crazy, crazy, CRAZY good, and it would have to be some kind of conspiracy that keeps them from being on the heads of every single head-fier. However, it's going to be a tall order for them to significantly best hozo's pair.

I also spent some time comparing Sennheiser cables. I've owned most of the replacement cables, however it's always been difficult to compare them with only one set of 650's. The differences between cables are certainly significant but not huge IMO, and the time it takes to swap cables on a single pair can allow doubt to seep in and cloud the perceived differences one hears. Some days my ears are more acute and I'm sure of the differences I hear; other days this cable-swap time can be enough to confuse my perceptions. At this meet, we had both my pair and Purk's, so the A/B comparisons were very enlightening. I spent time listening to the Cardas, Zu, and RnB cables. I directly compared the Zu and Cardas cables (one of the CD's used was classical; I believe Sassysound's CD? It was wonderful music
smily_headphones1.gif
). My previous impressions of these cables were immediately confirmed, and then some. The Cardas cable can sound a bit flat next to the Zu - the Zu beats the heck out of the Cardas in dynamics, and this can cause the Cardas to sound a bit "boring" on certain types of music, especially rock/pop. The Zu's bass is tighter, taughter, more powerful, and more punchy. Treble is clearly more present and extended on the Zu. However, the Cardas, to my ears, sounds a bit smoother in the midrange and overall has a lush quality to its sound. On this day, the Cardas was totally enthralling me on its reproduction of violins, which were especially vital on this classical CD. I'd have to hand the Zu the crown for overall technical merit, but the Cardas can still win me over on some material. Both are excellent upgrades to the Senns, IMO. I briefly compared the RnB cable to the Zu, I heard the same things as Dan and Purk - it sounded dark and too thick in the midrange. However, this cable was not burned in and I believe it has potential after burn-in. The sound I heard with this cable reminded me a lot of what my 650's were like when brand new. The 650's really opened up with time and I hope to hear the same from RnB's cable. It was obviously expertly crafted and assembled by an extremely talented young man, so I'd like to hear this cable again once it's got more hours under its belt.

If it's not already clear to most, my favorite system so far is the Meridian G08 -> Singlepower SDS (old chassis) -> L3000. The SDS at the meet was Purk's, but hopefully I'll have my very own SDS in a week or so. The important part of this system is the synergy between the SDS and the L3000. The Meridian takes it a step further towards perfection, in terms of top-notch detail and smoothness, however the SDS/L3000 pairing still retains its magic on less expensive sources like Purk's modded 555es (still an incredible source). The L3000 seems to work best with a lush sounding amp that has powerful, deep bass - the SDS with the Sylvania/KenRad tubes fits the bill. The 650/Zu also sounds best on the SDS, which is no surprise as the 650 is like the L3000 in that it's a very balanced non-genre specific headphone; it's just operating at a lower level than the L3000. Nonetheless, the 650 is very VERY impressive on the SDS. Briefly heard the woodied CD3000 on the SDS, and that sounded like another good pairing. Really, the only headphone I've heard that doesn't sound optimal on the SDS is the W2002, which for whatever reason sounds spectacular on its otherwise (as in with any other headphone) dry, clinical sounding HA2002 amp (still, this pairing seem somewhat genre-specific to my ears).

I've also heard the K1000 with Purk's RKV, and while the K1000 is not for me, this is by far the best I've heard it. The K1000's won't sound balanced out of anything other than an RKV. The grainy midrange/harsh treble/lack of bass complains I have with the K1000 were largely mitigated with this amp - no wonder it's a legendary pairing!

Sorry guys, that's all I've got for now, but I'll add more if I think of anything! Thanks everyone for a great meet!
Especially, thanks to Purk for introducing me to the life-changing SDS
biggrin.gif

Mike

Aug 2, 2005 at 5:49 AM Post #15 of 50
Thanks again to Dan for hosting. I think I chomped down all the veggie chips toward dinnertime. =P

Personal preferences follow…

*Portables
There were so many around I just started trying everything. The Portaphile impressed me; it’s physically tiny, but had accurate sound. The Senn PX100 paired nicely with it. I did find it lacking with a HD650. (edit: Pappucho just informed me that the Portaphile has DIP switches that sets it for high/low impedance headphones. It's set to low imped by default, which would explain why it sounded different with 650s. We didn't change configurations at the meet. Maybe that's why I only saw others using Grados on it...)

The Emmeline is a solid metal brick. Talk about construction detail. I found the sound fairly neutral. It wasn’t really to my tastes, especially with the Jubilee and 600. It almost added to the veil.

There was a larger Z-audio that was extremely detailed with the Senn 580 Jubilee. I’m not too sure about the brand but Dan said it was shipped overnight to him. I tried several other smaller amps with the Jubilee with small differences and this larger amp noticeably unveiled the music.

*Cables
I got lost. There were so many that looked cool. I think others tried a serious comparison while dmb367 and I were on the side listening to RS-2 and portables. To my untrained ears…

*Headphones
HOS3000 (Hozo’s Ol’ Sparky 3000V) – Many thanks to the brave ones that tried my electrostats. I lowered them to 480V bias the day before for “safety.” The input I received is invaluable compared to my amateur frequency/impulse graphs.

Purk: “Are these safe?”
H: “Of course. See, I can touch the stators” <proceeds to touch exposed stator and secretly repressing pain from shock>

Senn PX100 – Very nice phones for the money. A SR60 equivalent for strings music.

AKG K340 – with Naga’s Tool album, these hybrid electrets pretty much died under the torturous music. =D I didn’t get a chance to try out their fabled midrange.

CD3000 – incredible soundstage and imaging. I wasn’t the only one to take them off in shock at the realism. I think sassysound commented why everyone was clapping all of a sudden at the end of a live recording. I preferred stock to wood cups. The wood cups seemed to take away the instrument separation.

HD650 – glad I’m not missing out. To me, the Senn veil is still there. Purk’s PPA paired nicely with it. With all other amps, the veil engulfed my precious strings music.

RS-2 – Perfect with dmb367’s techno music. The transient response and general Grado sound enhances electronic music. Sennheisers sounded so bad with the punchy music I’m surprised he still kept a pair of 580’s. There is a big difference compared with the SR225’s. It feels smoother and not as harsh.

SR325 – Even if I like violins and treble, the sound is too bright and grating for my tastes.

AT L3000 – a combination of all the headphone greats in one slick leathery package. It’s incredibly accurate and silky smooth. It’s what a HD650 (or HD1000 if Senn made one) should’ve been and more.

AKG K1000 – my favorite of the meet. It’s got colored treble, no bass, frequency peaks, and butt ugly..... I don’t care. They sound sweet with strings! A valve amp made a world of difference. Mike’s RKV was a nice match. I hooked it up to the PPA for kicks. It was harsh and grainy.

Time to sell my Sage TCR fly rod… who needs fishing when I can Fishsim II with sweet music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back