Atlanta Meet - July 31'st, 2005
Aug 4, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #31 of 50
Man, there's an outbreak of tube lovin going on around here!

I pulled the trigger today and arranged to buy the RKV from purk.
eek.gif
It will greatly complement the DAC-1 and SA5000 I've got coming in.
biggrin.gif

Sassy - you'll need to come over in the future. I noted some of the same things you did about the RKV, but there are points that very much redeem it for me, and I've already plotted out some wicked mods for it to give it more responsiveness and wow-factor. I'm imagining your clasical cd's will just soar after I get through with this thing.
evil_smiley.gif

Dan

Aug 4, 2005 at 3:06 AM Post #32 of 50
Dan,

Invite me! and I'll be there!!!!!

I would love to listen to what RKVs will sound like after the mods.~~~

We need to get another meet going soon !!! Maybe I coud arrange one in my dorm room..haha

James

Aug 4, 2005 at 3:16 AM Post #33 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by sassysound
I would love to listen to what RKVs will sound like after the mods.~~~

We need to get another meet going soon !!!

You got it. I've been studying the RKV design today and it turns out one does opamp rolling instead of tuberolling on these. What's interesting is that for as good as they sound, they ship with some very cheap and marginal opamps. I'm planning to swap in some OPA637s which have already been reported to make a huge difference on this amp. Can't wait!

(Step two will be some trick cap upgrades. That part may take awhile since I'll be cruising the bargain sources for rare audiophile-grade parts.)

Dan

Aug 4, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #34 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blorton
You got it. I've been studying the RKV design today and it turns out one does opamp rolling instead of tuberolling on these. What's interesting is that for as good as they sound, they ship with some very cheap and marginal opamps. I'm planning to swap in some OPA637s which have already been reported to make a huge difference on this amp. Can't wait!

(Step two will be some trick cap upgrades. That part may take awhile since I'll be cruising the bargain sources for rare audiophile-grade parts.)

Dan

still no word about your experiences Dan, the crowd is getting anxious... and good choice on the SA5ks.. I love em..

Aug 4, 2005 at 3:29 AM Post #35 of 50
Ah, ya. I'm actually thinking about putting those in my newly (just finished building it now) built pimeta, as I heard they are far far superior to the one I bought
smily_headphones1.gif

Or I might just sell my pimeta and start building PPA
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 4, 2005 at 11:42 AM Post #37 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blorton
Man, there's an outbreak of tube lovin going on around here!

I pulled the trigger today and arranged to buy the RKV from purk.
eek.gif
It will greatly complement the DAC-1 and SA5000 I've got coming in.
biggrin.gif

Sassy - you'll need to come over in the future. I noted some of the same things you did about the RKV, but there are points that very much redeem it for me, and I've already plotted out some wicked mods for it to give it more responsiveness and wow-factor. I'm imagining your clasical cd's will just soar after I get through with this thing.
evil_smiley.gif

Dan

Good stuff Dan

Aug 4, 2005 at 12:08 PM Post #38 of 50
Anyone else with K340 impressions? So far all I've read is one very limited listening experience. If anyone had a chance to compare them to the leatherheads, I would appreciate a rundown of their strengths and weaknesses. Also, the type of amplification used would be helpfull.
cool.gif

Aug 7, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #39 of 50
i tried 2 different pairs of the dynamic-electrostats - one darker than a 580, the other quite balanced; of the balanced one, i noticed significant mids and highs ( it was recabeld too) and much less bass than a 580 - definately an interesting headphone, tho less balanced than a 580 or leatherback

Aug 7, 2005 at 7:53 PM Post #40 of 50
There are definately variations in the K340... but from comparing both mine and aerius' to his recabled HD580 we both prefered our K340's by a large margin and from what I recall they are much better balanced. You need proper amplification though, the bass is very unconvincing on the K340 on all but the most powerfull headphone amps.
340smile.gif

Aug 7, 2005 at 8:42 PM Post #41 of 50
So when is the next meet?
smily_headphones1.gif
I would love to hear your sa5000 when you get it dan. Maybe a mini meet in the next week???
600smile.gif
I have a good 2 weeks until school starts again and can bring my setup over. Maybe terrawit can come this time around.

Aug 7, 2005 at 9:00 PM Post #42 of 50
Another meet would be awesome.

Aug 10, 2005 at 2:58 AM Post #44 of 50
Sorry gang. No meets at Casa Blorton anytime soon. Mrs. B is still torqued because someone left the front door wide open which caused a cat emergency. None escaped, but she was quite flustered about it. (Understandably so. What nimrod leaves a door open in an Atlanta summer anyway?)

All you guys with the enthusiasm to have a meet need to step up and offer your place to host a gathering. I'm not the only one around with a kitchen/breakfast area that can be used for this.
tongue.gif

Dan

Aug 10, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #45 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by sassysound
Another meet would be awesome.

yes plz another meet preferably after Aug 14!
biggrin.gif
I'LL LOVE YOU GUYS!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back