Atlanta, GA - A-VCOA Presents May 4th Portable Audio Jam
Apr 11, 2014 at 1:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

jhm3

100+ Head-Fier
Message updated 5PM. 4/18/2014

Sorry for the late notification. I hope that you will be able to attend if interested!  John

On Sunday, May 4th from 12N to 5PM, the Audio-Video Club of Atlanta will host a program featuring both portable audio industry representatives and hobbyist demonstrators. This will take place at the Virtual Properties Realty Training Room at 2750 Premier Parkway, Duluth GA 30097.

We are looking for the latest in “portable” gear which might be used on the road, in flight, in your office, or anywhere you need great sounding music with you! This includes, but is not limited to players, DACs, headphone amps, headphones, IEMs, USB gear, etc. Latest additions to product lines are encouraged!

There will be a short welcome and introduction by the A-VCOA president and then time will be given to industry reps to present their products and answer questions from the attendees. There will be a time allowance for the hobbyist demonstrators in attendance to briefly describe their systems.

There will be no charge for tables for either industry reps or hobbyists, we only ask that you call to let us know you will be attending and bring your own electrical strips. If you will need lots of table space, you may want to let us know roughly how much! We will provide access to 2 electrical outlets per person.

If you have questions or plan to bring your rig, call John Morrison at 770-330-3919.

So far, we have a commitment from Darren Censullo of Avatar Acoustics to have a complete selection of iFi products for demoing and sale!

We will have a selection of current products from the popular FiiO line. Watch this thread for more gear announcements!

Our schedule for this starts with setup at 10 AM and with club members and other attendees entering around noon. There is ground level access to the building. Hand trucks will probably be needed.

Attendees may feel free to bring some of their own gear to use while listening to the systems.

Again, I emphasize that hobbyists who will need table space for their equipment need to let us know in advance so that we will be prepared. CALL JOHN!

A-VCOA will provide light refreshments for this event.

If you are a hobbyist or an industry rep interested in showing your gear, please contact me ASAP! Click below to go to the event description.

https://a-vcoa.clubexpress.com/content.aspx?page_id=87&club_id=290418&item_id=313516

John

John Morrison, President, Founding Member Audio-Video Club of Atlanta
Direct: 770-330-3919
Fax: 1-866-891-3690
mailto:jhm3@bellsouth.net http://www.a-vcoa.org

Apr 15, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #2 of 58
David White and Chris Doughty of Audio Alternative in Lilburn, GA will be in attendance at our meet and will be bringing some great equipment 
bringing headphones from Grado, PSB and NAD. They will also be bringing the EAR headphone amp from Rega, a Dragonfly from Audioquest and one of the small digital integrated amps from NAD.

It is great to have them join us.

Apr 15, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #3 of 58
FiiO bringing great NEW equipment to our Portable Audio Jam.  FiiO will be supplying the Brand New X5 that offers 2 integrated DACS, 2 integrated AMPS, and 2 Micro SD card slots for HUGE storage capacity in one SMALL portable device.  In addition, we'll be showing the X3 portable DAP, and the E-18 portable DAC and AMP combo.  

Their products will be supported by informational brochures and display materials.  FiiO is a great supporter of Head-Fi and the portable audio community.  Make plans to come see and hear their latest and greatest.

Thanks are offered to James and Sunny for their support.

Apr 15, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #4 of 58
A clarification! Hobbyists are certainly welcome to show off their "office" or "home" listening setups. We are most interested in unique or home built equipment, but really we want to hear how you most often listen to music! By "portable", we mean that it is moveable from place to place without requiring the use of a hand truck!!

Give me a call or email me if you wish to share your rig.

John

John Morrison, President, Founding Member
Audio-Video Club of Atlanta
Direct: 770-330-3919
Fax: 1-866-891-3690
mailto: jhm3@bellsouth.net
http://www.a-vcoa.org

Apr 15, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #5 of 58
I plan to attend as well.  Arthur Power of Matrix Digital will send over many gears for folks to listen to including X-Sabre DAC, portable amp, and desktop DAC/amp solution.  Philip Larocco ("uncle Phil"), the creator behind Triad Audio will also send over a prototype OTL EL34 tube headphone amplifier.  Personally, I'll bring some of my portables & GS-X MKII & HD800 as my desktop rigs.  Hope to see everyone there.

Gear List:

From Matrix Digital:

-Matrix Mini-i Pro desktop DAC/Amp combo (http://matrix-digi-usa.com/mini-series/mini-i-pro)

-Matrix X-SPDIF (http://matrix-digi-usa.com/x-series/x-spdif)

-Matrix X-Sabre DSD/Hi-Rez DAC (http://matrix-digi-usa.com/x-series/x-sabre)

-Matrix HPA-2 USB Portable DAC/Amp combo (http://matrix-digi-usa.com/m-stage-series/m-stage-hpa-2-usb)

Arthur will also loan us the Violectric V200 (http://www.violectric.de/Pages/en/products/hpav200.php) to check out.

From Uncle Phill & Triad Audio:

-Prototype ePhi EL34 Tube amplifier 

-L3 Legendary Portable Amplifier (http://triadaudio.net/)

Apr 18, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #6 of 58
Sounds great already. If I'm on that side of the country I will try to make it.

Apr 18, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #7 of 58
My S/O just reminded me in May I have one graduating college (who will be starting med school in the fall), and another graduating HS who will be starting UAB in the fall. Looking kinda dim right now.

Apr 21, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #8 of 58
I just came back from my first meet in Charlotte this weekend. Now that I've whet my appetite, this sounds like a great second course! Since the emphasis is on portables, I'll bring my Audioengine D3 USB DAC and my AKG K812, arguably the best sounding headphones out of a smartphone. I shouldn't need a table. I also have the HD800, Questyle CMA800R, and Bottlehead Crack amps. If anyone is really interested, I can bring it, but would need a table then.

I plan to attend as well.  Arthur of Matrix Digital will send over many gears for folks to listen to including X-Sabre DAC, portable amp, and desktop DAC/amp solution.  Philip Larocco ("uncle Phil"), the creator behind Triad Audio will also send over a prototype of his OTL tube headphone amplifier.  Personally, I'll bring some of my portables & GS-X MKII & HD800 as my desktop rigs.  Gear list is to come later.  Hope to see everyone there.

I got to heard the GS-X mk2 with HD800 at the Charlotte meet along with SR-009 with BHSE at the HeadAmp table. Honestly, to me the GS-X and HD800 was about the same as my own HD800 and Questyle CMA800R setup, and the SR-009 was about a half step up. However, the one setup that really wowed me with the HD800 was the setup mrspeakers had, the Auralic Vega DAC and the Cavalli Liquid Glass. I got the chance to later hook up the Vega with my Questyle, and the magic wasn't there, so I think it's the Liquid Glass amp. To me, it was a definitive step above the other HD800 pairings and even the SR-009. The Liquid Glass gave a new level of detail that was not only apparent, but also seemed to provide dedicated space for those subtle background sounds as if they were being played on their own channels. The best way I could describe it is it seemed to make normal recordings sound binaural. I have to admit that after hearing this completely new presentation from the Liquid Glass, I was more focused on hearing if any other setups could do the same, and I didn't focus as much on the standard metrics when it comes to comparing sound. It's quite possible that I was simply taken aback by this different presentation of instrument separation and soundstaging, and that the GS-X or SR-009 are technically superior than the Liquid Glass if I had more time and the mind to evaluate the fundamentals.

I don't suppose you've heard the HD800 through the Liquid Glass, and if you had similar experiences?

Apr 21, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #9 of 58
  I just came back from my first meet in Charlotte this weekend. Now that I've whet my appetite, this sounds like a great second course! Since the emphasis is on portables, I'll bring my Audioengine D3 USB DAC and my AKG K812, arguably the best sounding headphones out of a smartphone. I shouldn't need a table. I also have the HD800, Questyle CMA800R, and Bottlehead Crack amps. If anyone is really interested, I can bring it, but would need a table then.

I got to heard the GS-X mk2 with HD800 at the Charlotte meet along with SR-009 with BHSE at the HeadAmp table. Honestly, to me the GS-X and HD800 was about the same as my own HD800 and Questyle CMA800R setup, and the SR-009 was about a half step up. However, the one setup that really wowed me with the HD800 was the setup mrspeakers had, the Auralic Vega DAC and the Cavalli Liquid Glass. I got the chance to later hook up the Vega with my Questyle, and the magic wasn't there, so I think it's the Liquid Glass amp. To me, it was a definitive step above the other HD800 pairings and even the SR-009. The Liquid Glass gave a new level of detail that was not only apparent, but also seemed to provide dedicated space for those subtle background sounds as if they were being played on their own channels. The best way I could describe it is it seemed to make normal recordings sound binaural. I have to admit that after hearing this completely new presentation from the Liquid Glass, I was more focused on hearing if any other setups could do the same, and I didn't focus as much on the standard metrics when it comes to comparing sound. It's quite possible that I was simply taken aback by this different presentation of instrument separation and soundstaging, and that the GS-X or SR-009 are technically superior than the Liquid Glass if I had more time and the mind to evaluate the fundamentals.

I don't suppose you've heard the HD800 through the Liquid Glass, and if you had similar experiences?

No, I've not had the chance to check out the Liquid Glass but unless the source is identical, comparison made between setup can be very difficult especially at meet conditions.  At the ATL meet, you are welcome to compare your amp to my GSX MKII side-by-side using the same source input & cables.  Please bring your Questyle CMA800R as well as your HD800.  Is your HD800 balanced?  Mine is.  Oh, I would love to check out your AKG K812.

Apr 21, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #10 of 58
  No, I've not had the chance to check out the Liquid Glass but unless the source is identical, comparison made between setup can be very difficult especially at meet conditions.  At the ATL meet, you are welcome to compare your amp to my GSX MKII side-by-side using the same source input & cables.  Please bring your Questyle CMA800R as well as your HD800.  Is your HD800 balanced?  Mine is.  Oh, I would love to check out your AKG K812.

Well cool thing was I got to use my own music for most setups I heard including the Liquid Glass and the GS-X and SR-009/BHSE, so I was familiar with the tracks. While I didn't get a chance to try my own DAC (Emotiva DC-1) with the Liquid Glass, I did get to try his DAC with the Questyle and it didn't have the same effect, so I can only assume it was the amp causing the effect. At least, I hope I don't have to get both to get the same effect.
rolleyes.gif

My HD800 is single ended and I only have one CMA800R so I can't go balanced with it.

Apr 21, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #11 of 58
  Well cool thing was I got to use my own music for most setups I heard including the Liquid Glass and the GS-X and SR-009/BHSE, so I was familiar with the tracks. While I didn't get a chance to try my own DAC (Emotiva DC-1) with the Liquid Glass, I did get to try his DAC with the Questyle and it didn't have the same effect, so I can only assume it was the amp causing the effect. At least, I hope I don't have to get both to get the same effect.
rolleyes.gif

My HD800 is single ended and I only have one CMA800R so I can't go balanced with it.

Thanks for your reply.   The HD800 is a different animal all together when running balanced.  Please bring your amp to the meet though....I really like to check it out.  We can use my balanced HD800 for our little comparison.

Apr 21, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #12 of 58
  Thanks for your reply.   The HD800 is a different animal all together when running balanced.  Please bring your amp to the meet though....I really like to check it out.  We can use my balanced HD800 for our little comparison.

I could keep it light with just my Questyle amp and the two headphones, really only K812 if you have SE cabling for the HD800, and perhaps you'd have a little extra space at your table where I can put my stuff?

Apr 21, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #13 of 58
  I could keep it light with just my Questyle amp and the two headphones, really only K812 if you have SE cabling for the HD800, and perhaps you'd have a little extra space at your table where I can put my stuff?

Yup, you are welcome to hook it up with my rig assuming that I have enough space.  I do have the balanced 4-pin to SE cable as well.  You should really re-terminate your HD800 to 4-pin balanced XLR.  I'm looking forward to hearing the K812.

Apr 21, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #14 of 58
  Yup, you are welcome to hook it up with my rig assuming that I have enough space.  I do have the balanced 4-pin to SE cable as well.  You should really re-terminate your HD800 to 4-pin balanced XLR.  I'm looking forward to hearing the K812.

Well I don't have a balanced amp lol, and that Liquid Glass I'm now eying is SE as well. Alright, bring the SE adapter cable, and I'll just bring my Questyle and K812.

Apr 22, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #15 of 58
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT:

Due to a mix-up in scheduling the original location, we have had to change it! The new location is the Virtual Properties Realty Training Room at 2750 Premier Parkway, Duluth GA 30097. All other information remains the same!

To see the Event Information on our website, Click Here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back