Atkins/Low Carbohydrate Diets
Apr 24, 2004 at 3:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

refault

100+ Head-Fier
/.

Apr 24, 2004 at 3:22 AM Post #2 of 26
I am on it and I have lost 20 pounds. Pretty soon though, I am sure this thread is going to be bombarded by people who will bash the diet without anything but hearsay.

For me though, I went from a diet of taco bell, pizza, and fast food, to eating mostly vegetables, mixed nuts, and chicken or turkey. If you do the the diet right, it is really good for you. If you just roll to McD's and order "hold the bun, add extra bacon and cheeze", the diet still works, but you're not doing it right.

Curious, what is everyone's take on Sugar Alchohols? I stay away. For me, the diet is all about eating healthy, natural foods. Sugar Alchohols feel like cheating.

Apr 24, 2004 at 3:30 AM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by raif

Curious, what is everyone's take on Sugar Alchohols? I stay away. For me, the diet is all about eating healthy, natural foods. Sugar Alchohols feel like cheating.

Sugar alchohols are stated to have a very minimal affect on blood sugar, therefore it is safe to consume them.

Apr 24, 2004 at 4:01 AM Post #4 of 26
It's too bad search isn't working. There was a great older thread about people's favorite Atkins recipes. My personal favorite was JMedeiros' pork rinds smothered in blue cheese dressing.

Apr 24, 2004 at 4:16 AM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by refault
My goal is 120lbs.

you want to be 5'8" 120 lbs? that just sounds wrong. unless i guess you're trying to be a coxswain or a jockey or something.

congrats on the wait loss though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 24, 2004 at 4:20 AM Post #7 of 26
Wow, I'm impressed. Atkins diet DOES work if you are displined as most you must be
biggrin.gif
Occasional cheat on carbs isn't too bad, but I know few people gave in for their craving for carbs and gained more than they lost (most difficult aspect of Atkins I think). Congrats and no cheating
wink.gif

Apr 24, 2004 at 3:05 PM Post #8 of 26
I did the Atkin's (ish) diet about 20 years ago ( when I was 30) and it worked well. I lost about 45 lbs., but like most of the dieting I've done over the years, once I went off of it and back to my old routine of eating whenever and as much of anything I wanted, I soon gained it back plus more. I went on it again about 9 months ago for 6 months and lost another 40 lbs. I went off of it at Christmas and ever since have been eating better, but am back to the odd pop ( soda ), donut, chocolate bar, etc. and have gained back about 20 lbs again.

I've been on a very mild hypertention medication for nearly 3 years and it kept my blood pressure around the high side of normal. However, about 3 weeks ago my blood pressure suddenly increased to extremely dangerous levels and I'm now taking 4 times the medication I used to... and my blood pressure is still not as good as it was. My doctor is fairly certain, the eggs, meat, fat, and cheese I'd been living on during my psuedo-Atkin's diet has played a big part in causing this increased blood pressure. When you're 15 years old, your body can handle and recover from all sorts of abuse, but don't kid yourself, it's a cumulative thing and eventually will catch up with you.

Granted, I've never followed the Atkins diet to the letter, and was always a fan of it's success at shedding pounds ( even if only temporary ), but I've now changed my thinking and believe that the everything in moderation eating plan, while not nearly as quick and easy, is a much better and healthier solution to weight control in the long run.

Apr 24, 2004 at 3:18 PM Post #9 of 26
Every damned sugar alcohols package I've read (and eaten the contents of) has said "sensitive individuals may experience a laxative effect." Well, I must be sensitive because EVERY DAMNED TIME I have serious "blowouts."

As far as the diet, I did S. Beach and went from 194 to 174 and have kept it off since October.

- Matt

Apr 24, 2004 at 3:26 PM Post #10 of 26
Oh yay, fun. I get to be a dissentor in the thread. My dad's a professor and teaches some sort of biochemistry that involves looking at the Atkins and other fad diets. Thus I've been raised to think that these diets are just fads and nothing else. I have nowhere as comprehensive knowledge of the scientific problems with Atkins and the others, but I do have qualms. The Atkins diet will help you lose weight, but it's my impression that you're going to have to forgo carbs beyond the time of your actual diet because it doesn't always last. After all, what you're basically doing is starving your body of its simplest energy source and having it burn its energy reserves. Once you start eating carbs again, the body will revert back to using whatever you're giving it. Carbohydrates are a very important source of energy and I just have misgivings about a diet that requires people to not eat them. From my POV, the fact that the weight loss is temporary (or at least, the full weight loss, there's always possibility that you won't gain it all back) makes me believe that it's a false diet. But you guys probably know all of this...it's just the people who go to McD's and ask for a burger without the bun and think they're dieting that gets me...
rolleyes.gif
and people asking for low-carb bread. Honestly...

I can get my dad to explain to me the science of it and stop my hearsay if someone wants. It's just that once I get him started, he won't stop.

The only thing I'm really concerned about is skipping breakfast/lunch. If you're still a teenager (like me) then I really wouldn't recommend it. You need to eat something for breakfast, especially. It doesn't have to be a bagel or pastry or other typical American food item, but maybe a piece of fruit or yogurt? And congrats on your discipline.

Apr 24, 2004 at 3:26 PM Post #11 of 26
wow nice job on the diet!

5'8'' at 120 will make you look like an anorexic, or a prisoner from Auschwitz

and like the other guy said, you are way too young to be on a diet, get out and exercise, please go see a doctor if you are not

unless you are a girl, keep the weight you have now, no girl wants a pencil

Apr 24, 2004 at 3:31 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by usc goose
you want to be 5'8" 120 lbs? that just sounds wrong. unless i guess you're trying to be a coxswain or a jockey or something.

I'll second that, even for a female 5'8" 120 lbs ain't that much, and if you're a guy that's ridiculously low in my opinion.

Apr 24, 2004 at 5:28 PM Post #15 of 26
I agree with the other folks here that 120 lbs for a 5' 8" make is way... way too light. I'm 5' 7" <sigh> and I remember weighing "only" 128-130 lbs in highschool... boy, I was thin. I wasn't on a diet eventhough I was a chubby kid upon entering highschool. No sir, boarding school's foul tasting cafeteria food plus mandatory afterclass sports dropped my weight by ~15 lbs.

Right now thanks to weight lifting, karate - and sedentary law school life - I'm at 145-48 lbs, but I'm still pretty thin and healthy.

Don't take this diet thing too seriously. You still need to grow. Many folks who were overweight have unrealistic concept of a good physic. You will be too thin at 120 lbs.

Right now just eat healthy, engage in fun outdoor activities and enjoy life.
biggrin.gif

And congrats on the weigh loss.

BTW - my highschool was Hawaii Prep Academy on the Big Island. Beautiful sceneries, but still have bad memories of the food. Blugh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back