Atkins/Low Carbohydrate Diets
Apr 24, 2004 at 5:34 PM Post #16 of 26
Congrats on the diet working, but I have to echo the sentiments of others and say that 120lbs for a 5'8" 15 year old isn't good. That's underweight, especially if you're coming down from 202. That means you most likely have a heavier body style. The "ideal body weight" I personally find a bit skewed, since there are three body types (ectomorph, mesomorph and endomorph) each with different characteristics, ergo different weights. I think that having one "ideal" weight for everyone of a certain height and age is a terrible idea.

Regardless though, be careful with your goals, and remember that skinny is not always best.

Apr 24, 2004 at 10:12 PM Post #17 of 26
like others have said:

you are in perfect shape now

you are not done growing, i used to be chubby around 11-15yrs old, i got taller, worked out and lost the "fat", but kept some beef

girls like healthy guys, not sticks, a little extra beef is fine

Apr 24, 2004 at 11:34 PM Post #18 of 26
You should really have a physical and blood test before you start any type of different diet like Atkins. It's best to have yourself checked out in general.

I'm finding that I really need to be on a diabetics diet. The virtually no fat, no carbohydrate/sugar, no cholestero, no taste diet.
frown.gif

Probably because I am on the verge of having type two diabetes. It runs in my family.

I think the only successful long term diet that has real science behind it in terms of long term clinical and lab studies is the "low calorie, high nutrition diet." It will never become a fad, because it does not involve eating pleasurable foods of any kind. This diet severely reduces the number of calories one eats per day. This reduction also limits the number of "free radicals" you process which break down your cells gradually over time.

There was a really good Nova(?) special hosted by Alan Alda about it.

-Ed

Apr 25, 2004 at 12:08 AM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ticky
I agree with the other folks here that 120 lbs for a 5' 8" make is way... way too light. I'm 5' 7" <sigh> and I remember weighing "only" 128-130 lbs in highschool... boy, I was thin.

Depends upon your skeletal structure. If you have the "small bones" skeleton then 130 to 140 works out about right for 5'8" with "modern normal" (not working out) musculature. Many different body types out there.\

BUT, at 15 you shouldn't be overly worried about dieting. If you restrict your caloric and nutritional intake serverely your body will react hormonally, changing your long term growth patterns. At 15 thats at big No-No. Eat healthy, do things that keep you moving (you don't have to be a "jock" if that's not your style) and just remember the oldest saying around, "Everything in moderation". The problem in modern society is that people don't *want* to moderate, they want everything, now. Just use your head.

And best of luck, dude!

Apr 25, 2004 at 1:05 AM Post #20 of 26
I agree with everyone else that 120 lbs is lighter than you should be aiming. I'm 5'7" and a little over 120, but I have very little muscle on me. If I worked out I would (and should) be at about 135 - 140 lbs. Mind you, I'm not skinny at all, I'm just not muscular.

One other thing anyone thinking about going on Atkins should be aware of is that after you lose the weight you want too, you have to keep on a diet and keep your weight down for another 1.5 to 2 years or so. Due to your body's natural instinct and intended habitat ("in the wild"), it tries to get back to it's maximum weight, because that extra weight is protection against the environment; losing weight isn't natural.

Apr 25, 2004 at 2:01 AM Post #21 of 26
There seems to be all these new dieting programs lately. No need for that IMO. I think it's all the placebo effect. All you need to do to lose weight (most likely): havea positive mindset that you will lose weight, exercise regularly.

Apr 25, 2004 at 2:49 AM Post #22 of 26
I've lost 30 pounds since starting the Atkins diet after New Year's. I was 215, now I'm 185. I'm 5'9" though I have a pretty heavy build. I'm happy with my weight loss so far. Ideally I'd like to lose another 10 pounds but I won't kill myself to do it - I already look and feel way better than I did. Because of my build, there's almost no way I could get down to a weight that would give me a mid "normal" BMI.

The diet has been an interesting experience. Not nearly as hard as I thought it would be, in fact. Before that, I was mostly eating junk food, drinking sugared soda, etc and my weight had slowly crept up from where I was in high school when I played football and activity kept me in shape. A lot of people have misconceptions about the diet that prevent them from giving it a fair shake. One is that all you eat is meat. You eat a lot of meat but, to be honest, my family and I eat far more vegetables now than we did before going on Atkins. You're limited on fruits, but most vegetables are allowed from the start and basically all are allowed once you've moved beyond the first two weeks.

Another misconception involves the duration of the program. Like ANY diet, when you quit and go back to eating junk, you gain the weight back. This is true with Atkins, Weight Watchers, South Beach, anything you can name. The logical extension of this is that if you lose weight on a diet and want to keep it off, some form of that diet will have to become your permanent way of eating. When I consider that the stuff I eat now is: nuts, vegetables, meat, cheese, berries, it doesn't seem like such a bad idea to eat like this permanently rather than the burritos, pizza, mountain dew, macaroni & cheese, and other junk I used to eat every meal of every day. The food you're allowed may be high in fat, but it's also generally high in nutrients and low in additives. It's a lot more natural food and a lot less processed foods (though there are still some miracles of science like low-carb icecream). I drink diet soda and eat/drink very little sugar, compared to the bunches I used to eat.

Ok, one last one. A lot of people think the Atkins diet means you can never have some certain food again (pizza, pasta, whatever). The truth is that eating pizza doesn't make you fat. Eating pizza 3 or 4 times a week makes you fat. Drinking a 2 liter of coke with your pizza makes you fat. It's the overall combination of what you eat that does or doesn't cause problems. The only people who will have to permanently avoid certain foods on the Atkins diet are those who are true carbaholics. For these people, eating one cookie will lead to eating the whole bag. Since they've eaten the whole bag of cookies, might as well go out for pasta for dinner. Since I wrecked yesterday and am a fat pig, might as well give up. Those types of people need to simply stay away from temptation. Most people can go have a huge hunk of lasagna on a Friday night without killing their weight loss - so long as they're willing and able to go back to a steak and a salad the next day. I've lost my weight with minimal exercise so in my case, it was clearly diet related. Whether it's because low carbs worked for me, or that I simply ate less (food/calories), I can't prove it either way. I do have to say that the variety of foods has been pretty good and it's hard to feel deprived eating a bacon cheeseburger (sans bun) or a huge cobb salad.

Apr 25, 2004 at 3:45 AM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood

I'm finding that I really need to be on a diabetics diet. The virtually no fat, no carbohydrate/sugar, no cholestero, no taste diet.
frown.gif

Probably because I am on the verge of having type two diabetes. It runs in my family.

-Ed

Same here, Im a pre-diabetic as well. Get the book "Diabetes Meal Planning Made Easy" by hope warshaw. It explained a lot on what you should be eating and why.

Apr 25, 2004 at 5:03 AM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Watch out for this atkins diet, your kidneys are usually the second to go....after your weight

he's right. i remember in my biochemistry class the prof specifically outlined many reasons why this diet is REALLY bad. something about ketones and stuff. i forgot really. but it's bad.

there's a reason why every culture in the world uses carbohydrates as the base for their diet... you know, potatoes, rice for chinese, bread for caucasians... that sort of thing. it is GOOD for you.

stick to the food pyramid and EXERCISE. that's the key. if you burn off the calories, you have nothing to worry about.

Apr 25, 2004 at 4:05 PM Post #25 of 26
I have used Atkins diet on an off since about 1974. But the best one was a low call diet with exercise, and no sugar, flour, or wheat. That worked great. Using the right foods, I used to fill my plates and pig out, without fat. I used to go days with no fat at all in food. Lost as much as 6 pounds a week, and was very fit.

Apr 25, 2004 at 5:15 PM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by tortie
Same here, Im a pre-diabetic as well. Get the book "Diabetes Meal Planning Made Easy" by hope warshaw. It explained a lot on what you should be eating and why.

I'm an Insulin Dependent Diabetic, I just eat a normal healthy balanced diet with low sugar foods. Ignore diabetic foods, as these have an higher fat content than normal products, it's always best to eat a bit of real chocolate than diabetic chocolate.

Anybody on atkin's should be very carefull not to be on this plan for too long, as it can do more harm than good, your body needs a proper healthy balance of all food groups.

Best wishes,

Paul.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back