ath50 spring?
Dec 5, 2010 at 2:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

soundlover9

New Head-Fier
i was in class listening to my headphones and was just putting them back into the bag when my friend looks and the cord and pulls that spring right out of the jack, wth was he thinking, anyway i can't put it back in i was just wondering if it really did anything?

Dec 5, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #4 of 17
What you would do is to use your nail to pin the the spring to the cable. Then you would stretch the cable to make the larger coils smaller.
After stretching it, try to get the end of the spring underneath the metal part. Then using your fingernails to guide the spring (Remember to keep the cable out stretched out) slowly spin/ twist the spring as if it was a screw or something. Then eventually, you'll get the larger coils into the spring

Here's how i got mine back:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/516030/ath-m50-stress-relief-spring-out-of-jack

P
ost #4

Dec 5, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #5 of 17
i can't get it in, now my springs all twisted and mangled, i tried so long and it just wouldn't go it, you think they would ship another spring for me? i really can't find a solution to get it back in

Dec 6, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #6 of 17
Well, if you can't get it in, you should just leave it. The spring is just for strain-relief, so that the cable and the jack won't become detached or anything.

If it really bugs you, you can probably ask them for one.

Dec 6, 2010 at 7:09 AM Post #8 of 17

Quote:
i was in class listening to my headphones and was just putting them back into the bag when my friend looks and the cord and pulls that spring right out of the jack, wth was he thinking, anyway i can't put it back in i was just wondering if it really did anything?

Make your friend get you a new spring. 

Dec 6, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #10 of 17
i messaged audiotechnica and they said they can just replace the whole cable assembly. i'm thinking i'll do that, but will the places that the have to detach the old one looks messy or weird you think when they replace the cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back