ATH-W5000, an amazing headphone, even for portable purpose. (some comparison with ED8)
Jun 25, 2012 at 11:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

czqdtc

100+ Head-Fier
Gears used in this test:
iPod classic ---> Algrithm solo -----> Continental V2 -----> Audio-technica ATH-W5000/Ultrasone edition 8

I have been listening to edition 8 on this system for a while. While pleased by the clear and crispy presentation of edition 8, I always found the vocal part is somewhat lacking (not in detail, but in body), and especially some of my favorite female vocals are not as sweet and wet ^_^ as they should be (ED8 is quite analytical I guess). 
So, after some days of researching on head-fi and various other hi-fi forums, I finally decided to pull the trigger on this pair of wooden beauty : )  

When I first got the W5000s, they definitely WOWed me right out of box. Man, these cans are magical ! They are warm sounding, full of emotion, yet airy and not lacking any details. Some have claimed in their posts that W5000 may lack bass quantity and even pulled out some frequency response figures to support their claim. I AM STANDING RIGHT HERE TO DISPROVE THAT !!! W5000 definitely has a good amount of bass, more than edition 8's, and also more of a surrounding feeling (like a music hall). The bass texture and impact is impressive, much better than on the K701s and 650s (not in quantity though). I would never call these headphones lack in bass. If I am going to rate the bass quantity (not quality) of some of the headphones I have been constantly listen to help you guys better understand this, it would be:
HD650 ----- 10
W5000 ----- 8
ED8 ----- 7
K701 ----- 5
EX1000 ----- 7
Westone 4 ----- 5.5
IE8 ------ 10.5

Here I have to mention that edition 8 has it's really unique bass presentation. The bass is deep, punchy, but never intervene the mids and highs, which gives it a unique clear and crisp sounding. W5000, on the other hand, has kinda of surrounding feeling to it, like a music hall as mentioned above, which adds some emotion and warmth to the vocal part (nice job I would say!). However, the highs on these cans can be a little bit hot sometimes (if the recording is of low quality especially). Female vocal is liquid smooth and transparent on W5000, makes it ideal for country or J-pop music as well as majority of rock and other pop music (which edition 8 falls short IMO). After all, I found W5000 pretty much give me everything I have wanted and was lacking on edition 8. I am very happy with my purchase : )  

It is well worth the price for both its beautiful sound and sexy looking ( man I love the wood housing on these, not like those shinny D7000s which I really hate). Feel free to ask me any questions.

Some photos:

Some of my other gears:

Jun 26, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #2 of 5
Sweet gear! I definitely want to own the W5000 some day; I'm a big fan of Audio Technica's sweet mid-range presentation. But do you really think the W5000 makes for a good portable 'phone? The 3d-wing support is extremely comfortable, but too ungainly for public use IMO. Plus, they'd look pretty silly on your head because it's such a non-tradition design.

Jun 26, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #3 of 5
By portable I mean, they are not that hard to drive and is viable through portable amps.
I would definitely NOT wear them on street, but it's totally fine to listen to them in the library : )

Apr 15, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #5 of 5
What a collection of controversial headphones. I also have the W5000, like them but certainly I understand where its naysayers are coming from. Certainly not worth the $700 price tag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back