ATH-W1000X Thread!
Mar 9, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #767 of 1,994
Quote:
Hey guys I just pulled the trigger on these since I love my AD700 and ESW9 so much.  I don't know if this is possible but can anyone recommend a resistor adapter or something that I can use to increase the impedance on these so I can use them with the Lyr and not get a lot of background noise?

I use mine with the Lyr, E188cc tubes and I really do not have any noise.  If noise is a problem I may have a few resistors from my Grados send me a PM if you have issues.

Mar 14, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #768 of 1,994
Quote:
I use mine with the Lyr, E188cc tubes and I really do not have any noise.  If noise is a problem I may have a few resistors from my Grados send me a PM if you have issues.

e.e I hope these don't get to noisy on my cheap INdeed G3 Hybrid tube. Non the less I'm also not a BIG fan of low impedance cans... they tend to BOOM more

non the less hoping to get these TODAY. I'll have to w8 for them to be shipped but OMG I Found a seller <3 

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #769 of 1,994
Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by SillyHoney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Come on everybody, how is the bass
biggrin.gif

Bass is really good, as long as you got a good fit (don't have a tiny head). It extends very low and has great texture. Hits plenty hard, maybe slightly less than the Denon D2000s I used to have, but with a little more midbass. In fact I think with a warmer amp the bass can even be too much, as it doesn't need any bass boost.

I listen to a lot of dubstep to test sub-bass response and the W1000x definitely passes.

good to hear, the Dub Step thread is hating on me for the pretty bad sub bass 50hrz n lower roll off on the can. Which for me is fine [since my xb 700 is my sub bass can HELLO] BUT if I need to and gawd I'm a little pissed about it, my indeed G3 has a bass boost that swtiched the voltage on the tube to about 13.7  instead of 13.5, makes a big differance but I hate doing that to my tubes.

Still I think my RCA 12ua7a Clear Top will add the sound stage I want, hell the Mad Dogs had good sound stage on that clear top tube :D, plus the clear top has NICE sweet smooth highs. It tamed my dt 990 highs perfectly! 

Still I was a ATH m50 hater for a while since I went with Sony, but a balanced WOODEN ath can... I can dig that! The ath m50 was known to b a balanced bass head can so, take that awckward sound sig, refine it, give it wood cups, bigger drivers, less bass and BAM u got a winner

still :D I hope the L3000 pads tighten up like people say they do! As I'm coming from a semi open SUPER tight dt 880 pro 250 ohm to these e.e

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #770 of 1,994
dubstep sounds fine on these cans. however, classical music is where these shine. timbre is pretty good. not only do u hear the instrument, you feel the sounds touch your ear, if you will.

EDIT: i have to admit, the bass isnt the fastest in this can, but I believe doing purin's mod helps a lot. stocks cans have much reverbation, which compliments the wide soundstage, and gives instruments that realistic feel.

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #771 of 1,994
Quote:
dubstep sounds fine on these cans. however, classical music is where these shine. timbre is pretty good. not only do u hear the instrument, you feel the sounds touch your ear, if you will.

OMG R U SERIOUS... damn I need some OH w8 I HAVE SOME. I have some nice Violin music with these, and I'll have to get into some Classical

BUT my niece plays violin and OMG THOSE MIDS, wow those mids TOUCH YOU.. Espically when she's 3 feet away and it was BEAUTIFUL [shes young so she still kinda not so great] but just the natrual timbre of the wood and horse string was magical! N the mids were SOO powerfully forward but still warm and yes the TOUCHED ME

Gonna start listening to classical on the dt 880s! [My current favorite can, I hope the w1000x will be a good closed compliment to my byers] 

ALSO WOW, my millet max amp has a impedance switch and I've had it on low xD. That's good to know

listening to 
12. Eugene Drucker - 4- Giga

Bach, J.s Conatas for Solo Violin! And it's very nice. Could be a bit warmer. even the byers with the thick tubes don't have the "TOUCH ME" feel to them. 

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #773 of 1,994
Quote:
i also agree. this can is what made me love the mids. one of the juiciest mids i've heard in cans.

well the Mad Dog was SERIOSULY JUICE on them mids... I don't even want to get into that <.< they where TO forward on the mad dogs for me. Hence is Why Mad Dog is getting a return and w1000x just got a $100 upgrade

also there is a gain switch on  my amp... set it to high gain and well that helped lol, as the dt 880s need power [and I was denying the power xD] 

11. Shin'en (Abyss) Toshiio Masuda

A Tube and that song made me fall in love with mids. The mad dogs RUINED that song, too much hum in the bells

Also

Linda Perhacs -Hey now Who really cares

made me love mid vocals [the music behind the track is horrible, but her voice is SOO forward it doesn't matter] but she has a magical voice and the dt 880s maintain nice tightness and TOUCH ME warmth in her voice, so ath w1000x users check those out! 

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #774 of 1,994
Quote:
BUT my niece plays violin and OMG THOSE MIDS, wow those mids TOUCH YOU.. Espically when she's 3 feet away and it was BEAUTIFUL [shes young so she still kinda not so great] but just the natrual timbre of the wood and horse string was magical! N the mids were SOO powerfully forward but still warm and yes the TOUCHED ME

Violin is one of the hardest instruments to reproduce well. I also love it.
Both the source and the transducer are equally important for the job.

Mar 15, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #778 of 1,994
yes, I have! I am still fairly new to describing sound with words. if you live in california, I'd be happy to let you try them out in a public location! unfortunately, i vaguely remember the sound of the old pads, but I know for sure it changed the sound dramatically. sound is less intimate than before. instrumental separation is still as superb as before. details are still great. mids are still lovely and prominent. 

comfort has changed by a thousand-fold. i knew they would be more comfortable, but it exceeded my expectations. no more sweat or hotness. not recommended for people with small heads! it might slip off your head. it does take a month for the pads to conform to your head to get the best seal.

It creates a larger area vs the stock pads, making the reverb a bit too much for the faster electronic tracks. the soundstage increased quite a bit. it sounds a lot like the sounds are echoing to the walls, and coming back to you. instrumentals still sound realistic.

one of the first things i noticed is that the bass is punchier than before. 

the highs are tamed, maybe a bit too much for those who love the highs in electronic music. i don't hear sibilance like i did before.

with that said, i think my ears are very sensitive to highs, so say a person who detects slight sibilance = a whole lot in my ears. overall, i love them more than before. it might be different for you, as we all have unique preferences and hearing. This is definitely a love/hate mod. This mod makes it waaaay better for classical vs electronic. opposite of the results i wanted, but still a fun can nonetheless. i still love everything that comes out of this can way more than the mad dogs, and the woodies are now my all-purpose, all-genre can. perhaps it's the timbre and the coloration the wood does that makes me like them more than the md's. MD's can be a bit bland sometimes. i wouldn't trade these woodies for anything. if there are any questions, please ask me. I am willing to clarify anything.

they sound wonderful on this video: http://youtu.be/ob4-YXdeYps and http://youtu.be/KHzfD6XLK7Q and http://youtu.be/wG0Prs_EqLE

Gear Used: CENtrance Dacport (1 ohm), Audio Technica ATH-W1000x (purin's mod, 5005 mod, Stax 007 pads lamb leather)

Mar 15, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #779 of 1,994
Out of curiosity, which stax pads fit the W1000X?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back