ATH-W1000X Thread!
Sep 7, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #557 of 1,994
Just as a minor update:

The pads have compressed a little and the midrange is indeed more apparent with this development.

These headphones feel much lighter on my head than they did previously, which is a really nice bonus. 

Oct 20, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #558 of 1,994
Wow this thread has really grown since I last read it. I've been unhappy recently with my W1000X's, actually. Not about the sound, but because I can't seem to find optimal use for it; the dorms I live in have become pretty drafty over the winter, so I've covered the windows with old t-shirts, but I can't help but get worried about keeping the W's on their stand when I turn on the heater because I've heard wood can crack in excessive dryness. Can anyone give any advice on W1000X care/maintenance? I've got them stored like this (http://imgur.com/a/8XPhc) right now, but it takes up a lot of space and just isn't as convenient as having them hanging on the stand ready to use.

Oct 21, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #559 of 1,994
Looking nice, the L3000 pads. I'm definitely upgrading when needed, even though I find the stock pads really nice. Are there other pads fitting the W1000X? W5000 maybe?

Oct 21, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #560 of 1,994

Quote:
Wow this thread has really grown since I last read it. I've been unhappy recently with my W1000X's, actually. Not about the sound, but because I can't seem to find optimal use for it; the dorms I live in have become pretty drafty over the winter, so I've covered the windows with old t-shirts, but I can't help but get worried about keeping the W's on their stand when I turn on the heater because I've heard wood can crack in excessive dryness. Can anyone give any advice on W1000X care/maintenance? I've got them stored like this (http://imgur.com/a/8XPhc) right now, but it takes up a lot of space and just isn't as convenient as having them hanging on the stand ready to use.

I also own a pair of W1000X and must admit I have not been particularly worried about the wood cracking from heat / dryness.
The wood is treated, not raw and thus more resistant.
If you are really worried you could consider buying a portable air humidifier, which would allow you run the heater as much as you want.

Oct 23, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #561 of 1,994
Just got a pair of band new w1000x for $370 damn cheap and very happy with these right now
smily_headphones1.gif
. I love audio techinica's sound signature, great with female voice, like they are whispering in my ears.

Nov 7, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #567 of 1,994
I wouldn't worry about them cracking, provided they're somewhere indoors. I've known lots of people who have had ATH woodies for years and years without any sort of cracking... AT's wood is entirely top notch and won't crack or warp any more than a fine piece of furniture. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back