ATH-W1000X Thread!
Jun 27, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #91 of 1,994
You can get both W1000X and W5000 in UK, but price is too high.

Here is AT own online site:

http://www.audiotechnicashop.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=36_45

There are a few dealer who sell it as well.

Jun 30, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #93 of 1,994

Quote:
You can get both W1000X and W5000 in UK, but price is too high.

Here is AT own online site:

http://www.audiotechnicashop.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=36_45

There are a few dealer who sell it as well.

It's funny because I don't think their own stock photo for the W1000X does the wood justice!

Jun 30, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #94 of 1,994
Should have enough power, as the W1000X is not a particularly hard headphone to amp, but if the output impedance is on the high side, you will most likely get frequency roll off in the highs and lows.

Quote:
will little dot MK 3 which is OTL amp have enough power or good synergy with W1000X?

Jun 30, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #95 of 1,994

Quote:
Should have enough power, as the W1000X is not a particularly hard headphone to amp, but if the output impedance is on the high side, you will most likely get frequency roll off in the highs and lows.

hope so...I wondering if anyone ever tried the combo...

anyone have experience pairing the w1000x with WA6?

Jul 4, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #97 of 1,994
Come on people... Been nearly 3 months and only 7 pages to the thread??

I'm loving my W1000x but I need an amp for it to realise its true potential.
I'm considering the M-Stage, but I want the trebles to be smoother so I'm looking at the G&W T-2.6F too. I'll be very glad if anyone can share how they are listening to their W1000x headphones...

Jul 5, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #98 of 1,994
I listen to them with my concerto!

No roll off and the character of the headphone is fully realized. It is a very seductive and musical one.

As long as I keep the sound levels nice and moderate, the mid bass hump, and slightly hot highs do not stick out. The louder you play them the more you have issues though. I love them for low level listening.

Personally I would go for something nice, and something solid state. But, I am sure no matter what you chose, you will really enjoy it to be honest. 

Jul 5, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #99 of 1,994

Quote:
I listen to them with my concerto!

No roll off and the character of the headphone is fully realized. It is a very seductive and musical one.

As long as I keep the sound levels nice and moderate, the mid bass hump, and slightly hot highs do not stick out. The louder you play them the more you have issues though. I love them for low level listening.

Personally I would go for something nice, and something solid state. But, I am sure no matter what you chose, you will really enjoy it to be honest. 

Wow. I had a feeling the Concerto will go great with it. Good to know!
It's too expensive for my budget though...

Why would you recommend a solid state if you say the highs are hot?

Sadly, I'm not enjoying it with my DAC/amp combo unit nor with its digital out to my receiver right now...

Jul 6, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #100 of 1,994
Not every tube amp has a treble roll off. 
tongue.gif

Jul 6, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #101 of 1,994
That sucks......

EDIT: Okay, I just read post #61 by sokolov91. A SS amp for low impedance headphones. Noted!

Jul 6, 2010 at 9:36 AM Post #102 of 1,994
Or at least you need a tube amp with a low output impedance, which almost always means one that is transformer-coupled.

Do you have a price range in mind, AspenX?

Jul 6, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #103 of 1,994
I hope to spend less than USD$400 on a amp actually. A rather tight budget but... c'est la vie. :frowning2:

For SS, I'm considering the G&W F100, Matrix M-Stage and the Schiit Asgard.

For tube hybrids, I'm thinking of getting Whiplash Audio's Starving Student Millet, G&W T-2.6F or the Bijou.

From my limited experience and untrained ears, the Lehmann BCL sounds somewhat close to the Luxman which I really liked. If the M-Stage is a good alternative to the BCL, I think I'm supposed to like it but not having the luxury of being able to audition any amplifiers, I'm worried that the M-Stage will not sound very smooth like how the Luxman has been described to be in some reviews here, so I'm considering tube amplifiers too.

The only amplifier I have at home is a Harman Kardon AVR 1550, so this will be my first ever serious amplifier purchase and I'd be infinitely happy if I can get a home setup to sound somewhat similar to what I enjoyed while auditioning stuff in Tokyo. Right now, my M50s and W1000X are sounding too much the same from my pitiful setup.

Jul 6, 2010 at 10:52 AM Post #104 of 1,994

Quote:
I hope to spend less than USD$400 on a amp actually. A rather tight budget but... c'est la vie. :frowning2:

For SS, I'm considering the G&W F100, Matrix M-Stage and the Schiit Asgard.

For tube hybrids, I'm thinking of getting Whiplash Audio's Starving Student Millet, G&W T-2.6F or the Bijou.

From my limited experience and untrained ears, the Lehmann BCL sounds somewhat close to the Luxman which I really liked. If the M-Stage is a good alternative to the BCL, I think I'm supposed to like it but not having the luxury of being able to audition any amplifiers, I'm worried that the M-Stage will not sound very smooth like how the Luxman has been described to be in some reviews here, so I'm considering tube amplifiers too.

The only amplifier I have at home is a Harman Kardon AVR 1550, so this will be my first ever serious amplifier purchase and I'd be infinitely happy if I can get a home setup to sound somewhat similar to what I enjoyed while auditioning stuff in Tokyo. Right now, my M50s and W1000X are sounding too much the same from my pitiful setup.

For SS I'd lean more toward the M-Stage or the Asguard than the F100. The F100 from all accounts is a poor quality copy of the BCL. I have another BCL clone from HK called the "Lovely Cube', it takes a little DIY skill to complete but so far I find that it sounds pretty good with the W1000x's. Review is forth coming since I do not have it cased and properly grounded to my satisfaction. 

With the all tube Bijou, you'll also need to have the negative feed back turned up all the way for it to work well with the Low Z W1000x's, which I do no think is ideal. If you want a DIY amp I'd suggest either the Starving Student or SOHA II or SS a low gain M3 build.

Personally I think the W1000x also sound great coming out of my cheapie Aune DAC/Amp (which is a Grahm Slee Solo clone) They are not hard to amp.

Jul 6, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #105 of 1,994
Well, unfortunately I have no experience myself with any of those amps except the Bijou (which I liked a lot, but never tried with the W1000X).  For tube amps you might also consider the AudioTailor Jade, which worked well for me from the one of its outputs that is designed for lower-impedance cans. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back