ATH-W1000X Thread!
Jun 8, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #61 of 1,994

Quote:

I'm actually very new to all this audio stuff, and I was actually specifically looking into trying a tube amp, because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. lol.

lol. It looks like PriceJapan just matched the kakaku price..? Hard to really look everything over since I can't read japanese. lol.

Well a few things to be aware of is that tube amps generally have higher impedance output, which will effect the sound of lower impedance headphones (their frequency response) by rolling off the highs and lows. They also have much higher distortion, and noise floors than solid state amps as well as lower SNR. Now, if you enjoy the tube sound, this is perfectly fine, but as far as price/performance for a beginner, they are by no means the best.

Especially if you going to be getting a W1000X, you might want to look into  SS as it is only 40 ohms. 

Basically if you get an SS amp, you are guaranteed the most faithful and pure sound reproduction, and can then change the sound signature as you wish with headphones. If you get a tube amp, you have colouration at two points in your chain so it can make things tricker.

Jun 8, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #62 of 1,994
I went with DHL. And it came in 48 hours. Was worth it to me.

Jun 8, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #63 of 1,994

Quote:
Thanks for the info! 

Just curious to everyone who ordered these from PriceJapan.com... Did you guys do the DHL shipping or the EMS shipping? It's about a $30 USD difference, so I'm curious what are the benefits of even going with DHL.

IMO DHL sucks. EMS has always delivered my stuff quickly. I have heard of people getting their stuff super fast from Price.Japan. Shoot them an email and see which is quicker.

Jun 9, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #68 of 1,994

Quote:
Do the W1000X come in a flight case like the W5000? Or do they at least come with some sort of carrying pouch?

Definitely no, and no. They come in a decent box, but nothing you would store them in for quick access every day. I used an old sony pouch I had lying around and am currently building my own headphone stand for them.

Jun 9, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #69 of 1,994

Quote:
Definitely no, and no. They come in a decent box, but nothing you would store them in for quick access every day. I used an old sony pouch I had lying around and am currently building my own headphone stand for them.

Awww! I definitely need to find a case/stand of some sort for them then. I usually put my headphones in a cloth bag and hang the bags from hooks in my wall, but these headphones are too pretty to just leave them in a bag. lol.

Jun 12, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #71 of 1,994

Quote:
I thought you lucky Americans had up to 2000$ USD before they started taxing and dutying...

Canada is 60$

Europe is 30 Euros... hahaha... you guys are pretty lucky

It´s 45€ in Europe. Which sucks very much too though... xD

Jun 14, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #72 of 1,994
Received my W1000X today! Didn't realize they didn't come with a 1/4"->1/8" adaptor. lol. Went to Radio Shack to buy a whatever one to use. 

I'm used to the Sennheiser sound, so when I put them on, the first thing to slap me straight across the face were the super forward mids. Kinda shocked me for a second there and took a couple songs to get used to it. lol.

Jun 15, 2010 at 10:10 AM Post #73 of 1,994

Quote:
Received my W1000X today! Didn't realize they didn't come with a 1/4"->1/8" adaptor. lol. Went to Radio Shack to buy a whatever one to use. 

I'm used to the Sennheiser sound, so when I put them on, the first thing to slap me straight across the face were the super forward mids. Kinda shocked me for a second there and took a couple songs to get used to it. lol.

I've also been listen to the HD650 for a while before the W1000X's. The mids sounded very unnatural at first, but you do get used to it fairly quickly. 

Jun 15, 2010 at 10:46 AM Post #74 of 1,994
It depends on your amp's jack, but those connectors without a cable in between can be very stressful on 1/8" jacks, especially over the course of many years of use. It really took a toll on my Headroom Micro 2006, I know. Try the Grado, Cardas (or ALO, if you are a cabler) versions with a cable between the 1/8" plug and the 1/4" jack. 

Jun 15, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #75 of 1,994
Yeah. I bought the cheap-o Radio Shack adaptor yesterday just because I was really impatient and wanted to use the headphones. A couple things I observed about it- 1.) combined with the plug from the W1000X, the whole piece that hangs off the headphone jack is like 6 inches. 2.) there's A LOT of static and crackling if you accidently move/rotate the adaptor inside the plug. 

In short, the Radio Shack brand adaptor sucks, so last night, I placed an order for a Grado adaptor with the length of cable in between. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back