ATH-W1000X Thread!
Jun 7, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #47 of 1,994

Quote:
From my experience, I never had to pay anything. I reside in CA.

Ohh, I'm in CA too, so that's good to hear. I've just read a lot about people ordering headphones from out of the country, and having to pay all these customs fees, etc etc, and was curious if I'd have to do the same if I ordered these.

Thanks for the reply!

Jun 7, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #48 of 1,994
I am pretty sure that under $1,000, you do not have to.

Jun 7, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #49 of 1,994

Quote:
I am pretty sure that under $1,000, you do not have to.

Nice! Thanks for the reply, Skylab.

I'm going to pull the trigger on a set of w1000x's in a week or two. I just ordered a set of Sennheiser HD650's from HeadRoom; however, I've been listening to a pair of Grado SR80i's and after going back to listening to my Sennheiser IE8's, I seem to like the forward mids/highs sound more than the dark/laid back Sennheiser sound.

We'll see how much I like the HD650's when they come in next week, if I don't like them much, or simply want the W1000x to compliment them, I'll be ready to order a set.

God I hate being a newbie and not knowing exactly what I want. lol. It's getting tiring, because I'm literally ordering new headphones every week, trying to figure out what I want.

Jun 7, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #50 of 1,994

Quote:

Nice! Thanks for the reply, Skylab.

I'm going to pull the trigger on a set of w1000x's in a week or two. I just ordered a set of Sennheiser HD650's from HeadRoom; however, I've been listening to a pair of Grado SR80i's and after going back to listening to my Sennheiser IE8's, I seem to like the forward mids/highs sound more than the dark/laid back Sennheiser sound.

We'll see how much I like the HD650's when they come in next week, if I don't like them much, or simply want the W1000x to compliment them, I'll be ready to order a set.

God I hate being a newbie and not knowing exactly what I want. lol. It's getting tiring, because I'm literally ordering new headphones every week, trying to figure out what I want.

yeah gee it must be rough having to order new headphones every week 
blink.gif

hope you like your W1000X.  I imagine they will sound quite different from the hd650
what kind of amp/dac are you running.

Jun 7, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #51 of 1,994

Quote:

yeah gee it must be rough having to order new headphones every week 
blink.gif

hope you like your W1000X.  I imagine they will sound quite different from the hd650
what kind of amp/dac are you running.

lol. I'm sure headroom is going to be annoyed with me buying and returning so many times.

The only amp I have at the momment is the Headstage Arrow 12HE... I want to see how the HD650's do with it (since it's supposed to be able to drive them pretty well), but most likely, I will be picking up an entry-level tube amp soon... was looking into a Little Dot MKIV SE. I actually sent David from LIttle Dot an email a couple days ago, just waiting for a reply.

And it appears that my significant other is getting more annoyed with my weekly headphone purchases than I am. =P

Jun 8, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #53 of 1,994

Quote:
lol. I'm sure headroom is going to be annoyed with me buying and returning so many times.

The only amp I have at the momment is the Headstage Arrow 12HE... I want to see how the HD650's do with it (since it's supposed to be able to drive them pretty well), but most likely, I will be picking up an entry-level tube amp soon... was looking into a Little Dot MKIV SE. I actually sent David from LIttle Dot an email a couple days ago, just waiting for a reply.

And it appears that my significant other is getting more annoyed with my weekly headphone purchases than I am. =P

Might want to look in to the M stage Matrix on ebay. It is a Lehman clone and for the price is supposedly to be absurdly good.

If you want a tube that is one thing, but if you are just looking for a great, cheap amp then the mstage is something to seriously consider.

TBH my Corda Headsix was enought to drive my W1000X fairly well. My HD 600 only really got that legendary jump in performance after I bought Jans flagship Concerto. I actually withdrew the HD 600 from sale because they changed so much.

Jun 8, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #54 of 1,994
Jun 8, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #55 of 1,994

Quote:
Might want to look in to the M stage Matrix on ebay. It is a Lehman clone and for the price is supposedly to be absurdly good.

If you want a tube that is one thing, but if you are just looking for a great, cheap amp then the mstage is something to seriously consider.

TBH my Corda Headsix was enought to drive my W1000X fairly well. My HD 600 only really got that legendary jump in performance after I bought Jans flagship Concerto. I actually withdrew the HD 600 from sale because they changed so much.

I'm actually very new to all this audio stuff, and I was actually specifically looking into trying a tube amp, because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. lol.

Quote:
Price Japan refers the site named "kakaku" as having the lowest price but its in Japanese :/
http://www.pricejapan.com/front/e_good_info.php?code=928&category=10

lol. It looks like PriceJapan just matched the kakaku price..? Hard to really look everything over since I can't read japanese. lol.

Jun 8, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #57 of 1,994

Quote:

I agree with you about the Matrix as I own it. In 30 years of high end audio I would say the Matrix is the best audio buy I have ever gotten. It may not cost much but it is quality and built well and sounds great with any phone I plugged into it including the HE5Le which needs boat loads of power and the Matrix delivered big time. It has not made me want to  look anywhere else as I feel everything else would subtle improvements. 

Jun 8, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #58 of 1,994
What DAC are you using with the Matrix?

Quote:
I agree with you about the Matrix as I own it. In 30 years of high end audio I would say the Matrix is the best audio buy I have ever gotten. It may not cost much but it is quality and built well and sounds great with any phone I plugged into it including the HE5Le which needs boat loads of power and the Matrix delivered big time. It has not made me want to  look anywhere else as I feel everything else would subtle improvements. 

Jun 8, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #60 of 1,994

Quote:
I use a Marantz DV6001 Universal player. I did hear it at a friends with the DacMagic off itunes and it sounded great. I have not gotten into PC audio yet. But I can tell you it worked well with the DAC

Thanks for the info! 

Just curious to everyone who ordered these from PriceJapan.com... Did you guys do the DHL shipping or the EMS shipping? It's about a $30 USD difference, so I'm curious what are the benefits of even going with DHL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back