ATH-W1000X Thread!
Dec 7, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #1,966 of 1,994
Anyone interested in a one year old W1000X in great condition with about 300 hours on them?
Would ship with DHL from Germany.
Please pm me if your interested and make an offer in Euro :wink:

Cheers

Dec 8, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #1,968 of 1,994
Should be available from audio-technica directly; if not, Japanese exporters on eBay.  Rest assured, it is possible to replace the pads like most headphones.

Dec 9, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #1,969 of 1,994
  Are the earpads available separately for the ATH-W1000X? Mine have become perforated and not fit to use. Has anyone replaced theirs before - is it possible to do so ?

Thanks

I haven't needed to change my pads yet but people replace them with the leather pads from the W5000 which are still in production. I've been toying with the idea of getting a pair because their suppose to be comfier.

Dec 9, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #1,970 of 1,994
  I haven't needed to change my pads yet but people replace them with the leather pads from the W5000 which are still in production. I've been toying with the idea of getting a pair because their suppose to be comfier.

Thanks. I didn't realize the W5000 ones fit the 1000x. I'll search for em.

Should be available from audio-technica directly; if not, Japanese exporters on eBay.  Rest assured, it is possible to replace the pads like most headphones.

Thank you so much. 

Dec 11, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #1,971 of 1,994
I set up my W1000X for sale.
They have a good 11 month warranty left.

Cheers

http://www.head-fi.org/t/828667/audio-technica-w1000x-with-warranty

Jan 18, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #1,972 of 1,994
Recently I bought a used w1000x and since it's my first closed "high-end" headphone,
I wanted to ask you how others closed do compare like the D7000.
I'm still not sure if I like the sound since I'm am used to open headphones like my hd580 or k702.
But I keep listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #1,973 of 1,994
  Recently I bought a used w1000x and since it's my first closed "high-end" headphone,
I wanted to ask you how others closed do compare like the D7000.
I'm still not sure if I like the sound since I'm am used to open headphones like my hd580 or k702.
But I keep listening
smily_headphones1.gif

I lusted after the W1000x for many years until I got a pair cheap as their were being phased out and at first I was disappointed in them as I expected so much more. My first impression was that they didnt have that much bass for a closed back, but reading this thread I learnt that you have to bend the headband in to force more clamping pressure on your head, this works.

The only other closed back phone I have is the Denon D2000 and while not high end shares similar sound traits to the higher Denon/Fostex range, namely, thumping bass and high highs. The D2000's have more bass than the w1000x but sound bright and can be sibilant on some tracks and dacs & amps. I do find myself more and more just going to the W1000x they sound really good with most things, a good all rounder but maybe lacks a little bit of excitement.

Mar 27, 2017 at 3:10 AM Post #1,974 of 1,994

​Your sale post said you ended up preferring the AudioQuest Nighthawk. Could you elaborate on what you liked more about the Nighthawks, and what music you find them better for? (interestingly enough, I've been eying both of these 2 headphones)

Thanks!

Apr 3, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #1,975 of 1,994

I lusted after the W1000x for many years until I got a pair cheap as their were being phased out and at first I was disappointed in them as I expected so much more. My first impression was that they didnt have that much bass for a closed back, but reading this thread I learnt that you have to bend the headband in to force more clamping pressure on your head, this works.

The only other closed back phone I have is the Denon D2000 and while not high end shares similar sound traits to the higher Denon/Fostex range, namely, thumping bass and high highs. The D2000's have more bass than the w1000x but sound bright and can be sibilant on some tracks and dacs & amps. I do find myself more and more just going to the W1000x they sound really good with most things, a good all rounder but maybe lacks a little bit of excitement.

I used to LOVE my w1000X balanced out of my NFB10ES2 an I gave it a listen today, and I was appalled. It sounded incredibly tinny and very sibilant, I did forget how picky it is with source, I also found that the cable I have for it is a big part of the issue. I think it's starting to decay, as it makes another pair of headphones I have sound really... rattly as the w1000X sounded with said cable, 

welp, turns out it's not the cable, I hooked it up to my HE 4 an it sounded fine. My AH A100 is mid modding, so I really shouldn't use it as a point of reference for anything... maybe after 5 years I'm just NOT a fan of how Audio Technica headphones sound D:, as my HEAVY modded ES 10 also has a rattle to it... or some low mid decay I'm not crazy about 

Apr 8, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #1,976 of 1,994
  I used to LOVE my w1000X balanced out of my NFB10ES2 an I gave it a listen today, and I was appalled. It sounded incredibly tinny and very sibilant, I did forget how picky it is with source, I also found that the cable I have for it is a big part of the issue. I think it's starting to decay, as it makes another pair of headphones I have sound really... rattly as the w1000X sounded with said cable, 

welp, turns out it's not the cable, I hooked it up to my HE 4 an it sounded fine. My AH A100 is mid modding, so I really shouldn't use it as a point of reference for anything... maybe after 5 years I'm just NOT a fan of how Audio Technica headphones sound D:, as my HEAVY modded ES 10 also has a rattle to it... or some low mid decay I'm not crazy about 

5 Days later and I've discovered that the ePads on my W1000X were not level -.- As you guys know, the Pads and the Drivers are angled, the Drivers have a lip that extends out beyond the cup and the ATH L3000 ePads are shaped to fit over that, the ePad is a little thinner there as well. Turns out some of the resonance I was hearing in my W1000X had to do with that incorrect pad placement... took my pads off, an ensured they were matched, or even on both sides and BAM! back in business 

Apr 17, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #1,977 of 1,994
How does this compare to the A2000z in terms of sound and noise isolation?

Apr 17, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #1,978 of 1,994
Sep 18, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #1,979 of 1,994
Old thread that I'm going to revive. Just picked up a like new pair yesterday and looking forward to hearing what these are all about. Read quite a bit about amp pairing so here's my question.
How do you think these will pair with a Jot and Mimby?

Oct 26, 2017 at 4:51 AM Post #1,980 of 1,994
What are the differences between the W1000, W1000x, and W1000z?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back