ATH-W1000X Thread!
Dec 9, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #1,396 of 1,994
It's been a while since I've heard the W5000, about two years now, but I remember it having a slightly more neutral presentation (well, as neutral as an AT headphone can be, but will never be completely neutral through the range) with decent bass control, but not as much bass quantity as my W1000X.  

Dec 10, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #1,397 of 1,994
  It's been a while since I've heard the W5000, about two years now, but I remember it having a slightly more neutral presentation (well, as neutral as an AT headphone can be, but will never be completely neutral through the range) with decent bass control, but not as much bass quantity as my W1000X.  

I should look into it, I modded some of the bass out of my w1000x

The Fla Ship thread... that guy REALLY ripped the W5000... make me hesitant to buy one :[ 

Dec 10, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #1,398 of 1,994
  I should look into it, I modded some of the bass out of my w1000x

The Fla Ship thread... that guy REALLY ripped the W5000... make me hesitant to buy one :[ 

The W5000 really isn't bad.  There were some complaints that they are very bass light but I found them to be fine for the music I sampled with them.  Then again, I'm not a huge bass head (ignoring that I have UE11 IEM's that have an extra bass driver :p )

Dec 10, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #1,399 of 1,994

The W5000 really isn't bad.  There were some complaints that they are very bass light but I found them to be fine for the music I sampled with them.  Then again, I'm not a huge bass head (ignoring that I have UE11 IEM's that have an extra bass driver :p )

You must hate Beatz then?  But then again who doesn't?  Oops…  did I just say that?  
evil_smiley.gif
 j/k

I'm not totally against bass heavy cans, it just has to be controlled.  I can definitely say that my modded w1000x has plenty of bass but it's very controlled and tight.  It's not nasty to the ear like some cans…..  cough cough mentioned ^

I find my w1000x very fun to listen to...

Dec 11, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #1,400 of 1,994
  You must hate Beatz then?  But then again who doesn't?  Oops…  did I just say that?  
evil_smiley.gif
 j/k

I'm not totally against bass heavy cans, it just has to be controlled.  I can definitely say that my modded w1000x has plenty of bass but it's very controlled and tight.  It's not nasty to the ear like some cans…..  cough cough mentioned ^

I find my w1000x very fun to listen to...

Me too. I like the intimacy and the clarity of my Modded w1000x, I did my mod a little different so I don't think I have as much bass as the stock for sure

Non the less, I did find my mod rendered my w1000x to be very detaied, spacious but slighty sterile... which I like as I prefer Hifiman DAPS for portable, and since my w1000x is my portable headphone, the combo is very nice! Warm dap with a Sterile Headphone =yum 

hoping to balance my w1000x soon and get a RSA Sr71B

Dec 11, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #1,401 of 1,994
  Me too. I like the intimacy and the clarity of my Modded w1000x, I did my mod a little different so I don't think I have as much bass as the stock for sure

Non the less, I did find my mod rendered my w1000x to be very detaied, spacious but slighty sterile... which I like as I prefer Hifiman DAPS for portable, and since my w1000x is my portable headphone, the combo is very nice! Warm dap with a Sterile Headphone =yum 

hoping to balance my w1000x soon and get a RSA Sr71B

I agree 100%
beerchug.gif

Dec 14, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #1,402 of 1,994
I got Vali/Modi combo couple of days ago. It worked wonders for T1 but unfortunately w1000x with dx1000 pads was a bad match. It was allready smoother sounding with more bass emphasis than stock ath and Vali soothened the sound to the point it sounded boring. I put on Philips SBC HP890 pads which I didn't really like with my previous amp. As expected velour pads brought back highs, mids and detail that were lost with Vali. Unfortunately some of the bass was lost. I compensated that by adding foam ring on inside the pads. Less of the air pressure leaks out resulting in VERY impactfull bass. Could not be happier with results. :)

Dec 14, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #1,403 of 1,994
  I got Vali/Modi combo couple of days ago. It worked wonders for T1 but unfortunately w1000x with dx1000 pads was a bad match. It was allready smoother sounding with more bass emphasis than stock ath and Vali soothened the sound to the point it sounded boring. I put on Philips SBC HP890 pads which I didn't really like with my previous amp. As expected velour pads brought back highs, mids and detail that were lost with Vali. Unfortunately some of the bass was lost. I compensated that by adding foam ring on inside the pads. Less of the air pressure leaks out resulting in VERY impactfull bass. Could not be happier with results. :)

nice, kinda glad I stuck with the L3000 pads, I agree out of my Hm801 the vali is too smooth. How ever I'm thinking out of my much Colder Brighter and tighter NFB10ES2 the vali x w1000x combo is going to be winner! 

Dec 15, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #1,405 of 1,994
  Has anyone thought about re-cabling as a next mod on their w1000x?  If so, what do you have on them and what are the difference?

Yea I plan to get a recable my self, going to balance mine

it's hard to comment on recableing iimo, since some ppl feel it's snake oil... but I'l let u gys know what I think when I get it done 

Dec 22, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #1,409 of 1,994
Good news guys... the w1000x NFB10ES2 and Schiit Vali combo... sounds divine! and DMN that bass... DROPS HARD :O 

That said, the better the dac your feeding your vali with, the better it will sound

I've got a  Beringher UAC 202, and HM801 and my NFB 10ES2, three dacs... my NFB 10ES2 is ofc the best compliment to the Vali! The beringer was like $30... sounds like it should b $150 ;3 but I use it to stream off my lap top and for that pourpose it's great, the HM801 is a WARM DAP, so it needs solid state. and lastly the NVB 10ES2... is CLEAN and COLD like a surgeon! And sounds wonderful with the Schiit Vali! All the details of the Sugerical NFb10ES2 combined with the touch of Wetness from the Vali make the w1000x very lovely :3 v

Dec 23, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #1,410 of 1,994
Good to know that the Vali pairs wells with the W1000x, how's the "ringing" on the vali affecting the listening experience and finally how silent is the background? Thanks Mshenay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back