ATH-W1000X Thread!
Nov 2, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #1,246 of 1,994
  I think the 1000 and the 900 sound more different then alike. The w1000x is a bit bright but definitely not sibilant. The 900 had a strange upper midrange that was peeky, the W1000x is much smother and refined. The w1000x does well off of an unamped source, but they can handle some power and scale a bit with better amps. The W1000x is my favorite head phone with female vocals and classic rock, they have a sweet tone and are aggressive while retaining a good midrange. Just my two cents.

God damn head-fi :]
I will consider the W1000X...

The 900X really shines with classical music, instrumental and almost everything that does not have male vocals :D
i HAVE NOTICED THAT MORE OFTEN THAN NOT, IT'S THE MALE VOCALS THAT ARE SIBILANT RATHER THAN FEMALE'S, which is strange IMO.
The soundstage is excellent though and so is the instrument separation.
I find it quite magnificent, the fact that I can hear things which were missing on the HE-6 0_0. Subtle but there are some...

Nov 2, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #1,247 of 1,994
  I think the 1000 and the 900 sound more different then alike. The w1000x is a bit bright but definitely not sibilant. The 900 had a strange upper midrange that was peeky, the W1000x is much smother and refined. The w1000x does well off of an unamped source, but they can handle some power and scale a bit with better amps. The W1000x is my favorite head phone with female vocals and classic rock, they have a sweet tone and are aggressive while retaining a good midrange. Just my two cents.

OH YEA, another good note. Purrin Modded W1000x +J$ Pads is a hell of a nice EDM can actually ;O I tried my w1000x with my J$ and wow... I was happy tbh. My issue though is I need to glue some kind of non acousitc material to teh bottom so I don't have to worry about getting dust in them [OMG there is a dollar store up the road... I might totally go like NOW]

HAHAHAHAH just kidding I'm tired from work

THAT said, the HE 400 is getting sold... it literally sits in my room with not much love to it...

OH MAI GAWD... the W1000x... sounds intimate out of my NFB 10ES2... YAY [I just spent like a week with it and ONLY it... OMG I'm so glad I didn't sell it! WOOT it's going to get some HOME time YAY] I am very happy though. The closed nature of the can lends it self to intamacy and the mids are nicer for vocals over my Dt 880. Which sounded... really balanced q.q and I kinda missed the color of the w1000x on teh vocals [this is exciting] 

God damn head-fi :]
I will consider the W1000X...

WELCOME TO HEAD Fi sorry about your wallet 

Nov 2, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #1,248 of 1,994
Nov 2, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #1,249 of 1,994
Nov 2, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #1,250 of 1,994
Damn spike.
It's funny, these are considerably darker than the HE-6. But that spike is nowhere to be found on the HiFiMAN...
I love the Sound signature as it is a bit more punchy, while maybe a bit dark sometimes but that'd be fine...
But according to head-fi review, the W1000X still has that sibilance spike...
I really believe that it is refined in every way and more balanced but if it still has that spike... I might have to demo them first...

Nov 2, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #1,251 of 1,994
Damn spike.
It's funny, these are considerably darker than the HE-6. But that spike is nowhere to be found on the HiFiMAN...
I love the Sound signature as it is a bit more punchy, while maybe a bit dark sometimes but that'd be fine...
I really believe that it is refined in every way and more balanced but if it still has that spike... I might have to demo them first...

wait wait wait... he 6 vs w1000x... yea the Treble spike is the w1000x only un removeable quality... I don't mind it as I like Bright Headphones BUT you might not feel the same. 

Nov 2, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #1,252 of 1,994
Damn spike.

It is not an offensive treble spike though (if that make sense?). I would classify it as aggressive treble (Grado-like)  as opposed to the 900x which I felt had a treble spike along with a peeky upper mid that made it strange sounding to my ears. The W1000x is in your face yet retains a strong midrange and that is a rarity.

Nov 2, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #1,253 of 1,994
It is not an offensive treble spike though (if that make sense?). I would classify it as aggressive treble (Grado-like)  as opposed to the 900x which I felt had a treble spike along with a peeky upper mid that made it strange sounding to my ears. The W1000x is in your face yet retains a strong midrange and that is a rarity.

So it is a refined 900X minus the midrange glare?
I have to try to demo them now...
I mean is there more highs extension?
Ths one thing I noticed immediately is the extra highs extension that were missing xP

Nov 3, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #1,254 of 1,994

agree'd they are bright... but not peaky. And the mids are slighty forward with L3000 pads and Purrins Mod. I noticed with J$money Pads the bass was well pretty KICKIN, and the mids suffered from that so, the pads make a differance on the sound pretty drastically with these 

Nov 3, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #1,255 of 1,994
Very well guys.
I have three key questions, which will determine my next move.
1] If I really, really like the 900X, will I like the W1000X just as much [+ the wooden cups sound]?
2] If I find the 900X OK for portable use, will I find the 1000X also OK in this regard [durability, etc]?
3] If I find the drive my portable player provides sufficient for the 900X [Clip+], will it also drive the 1000X sufficiently [obviously, I expect them to sound noticeably better off that same source/player]?

If the answer to all the above is "yes", then wallet, please forgive me :p

Nov 3, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #1,256 of 1,994
  Very well guys.
I have three key questions, which will determine my next move.
1] If I really, really like the 900X, will I like the W1000X just as much [+ the wooden cups sound]?
2] If I find the 900X OK for portable use, will I find the 1000X also OK in this regard [durability, etc]?
3] If I find the drive my portable player provides sufficient for the 900X [Clip+], will it also drive the 1000X sufficiently [obviously, I expect them to sound noticeably better off that same source/player]?

If the answer to all the above is "yes", then wallet, please forgive me :p

IT has the same impedance as the A900x so it should be driven nicely from your Clip +[nice choice of player btw] 
I use my w1000x portable... I even walk around campus with them [I walk kinda funny but it works for me] so... if your ok with buying a nice hard case to keep them safe I would tug them around

I felt the w1000x was a nice upgrade over the A900x... I've modded my w1000x and there are a few choices of pads to help refine the sound even more, L3000 pads makes them even more balanced BUT J$ pads give them a sound more like the A900x [but MUCH refined] and by A900x sounding I mean nice meaty bass.

Nov 3, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #1,257 of 1,994
  IT has the same impedance as the A900x so it should be driven nicely from your Clip +[nice choice of player btw] 
I use my w1000x portable... I even walk around campus with them [I walk kinda funny but it works for me] so... if your ok with buying a nice hard case to keep them safe I would tug them around

I felt the w1000x was a nice upgrade over the A900x... I've modded my w1000x and there are a few choices of pads to help refine the sound even more, L3000 pads makes them even more balanced BUT J$ pads give them a sound more like the A900x [but MUCH refined] and by A900x sounding I mean nice meaty bass.

I think I will use the HiFiMAN velours [that's my current 900X pad] as I really like the sound of them. Slightly less bassy, but a bit clearer and easier to pinpoint :D
Very well, with that, my HE-6 is officially on sale....

Nov 3, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #1,258 of 1,994

I think I will use the HiFiMAN velours [that's my current 900X pad] as I really like the sound of them. Slightly less bassy, but a bit clearer and easier to pinpoint :D
Very well, with that, my HE-6 is officially on sale....

OMG why are you selling the HE 6 are you MAD also there are some ppl who say that with ENOUGH dampening a w1000x can have an HE 6 like sound! JUST a rumor to... peak your interest! 

Nov 3, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #1,259 of 1,994
  OMG why are you selling the HE 6 are you MAD also there are some ppl who say that with ENOUGH dampening a w1000x can have an HE 6 like sound! JUST a rumor to... peak your interest! 

I am not mad bro :D
I just don't think it is worth for me to own them anymore.
Witht hat said, I can use some extra cash and I need to finance the W1000X :]

Nov 5, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #1,260 of 1,994
  I am not mad bro :D
I just don't think it is worth for me to own them anymore.
Witht hat said, I can use some extra cash and I need to finance the W1000X :]

q.q it is a SAD DAY... I have found music that doesn't LIKE the w1000x! My FAVORITE game OST Secret of Mana... no likes the w1000x pb1 combo! Too much upper mids, not enoug low mids and lacking in the depth and air of the DT 880... DANG IT... welp that's why I own the dt 880 there are some things it just DOES better than the w1000x sadly 

ALthough honestly it is more the Amp I'm using than it is the headphone. My pb1 is REALLY upper mid BOOSTY [Bootsy tee hee] anyways. More of a reason for me to grab a new amp soon ish :3 :O I had a brillant idea just now :O me gusta good ideas... maybe DITCH getting the nvm

yea I need a new amp! Pb1 you have FALLEN SHORT. I actually like my w1000x [alot] through my NFB10ES2. When i first got the 10es2 I hated it with the w1000x. But after a week with nothing but the w1000x I found all that I LOVED about her amplified and refined in the 10ES2 ^^, and now the pb1 sounds like trash :D [with very few songs]

Let's just say this ONE SNES album sounds like garbage on anything that is not TRANSPARENT. Any coloration outside of MAYBE some bass, will add grain and too much twang to it! Only the Dt 880 does the album justice... well the dt 880 on ANYTHING and the W1000x on the NFB 10ES2. So again, yea I need a new amp and NOT a warm one <3 Need a cleaner one.

Like the Meeir COrda Audio Step Dance? Nothing like 15 hour battery life on a 9volt ;D and you can bet I'ma get them DUracells 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back