ATH-W1000X Thread!
Nov 14, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #1,276 of 1,994
So... After more listening my impressions have not changed. I'm not really impressed. I still find these quite boring. I started experementing with different pads. First pads I tried were Philips SBC HP890 pads. Those are HUGE. Too big actually but fit is still decent. Sound was pretty meh. I tried those pads with original pads under them and that sounded even worse...not really a surprise. Then I tried HM5 pads. It takes a lot of stretching but those can be fitted. Bass was allmost boomy, so I quickly went back to stock pads. For the heck of it I tried how would it sound If I tried what would it sound if I taped K501 pads on ath. Bass was gone and headphones sounded surprisingly a lot like akg's. Closed back headphones with k501 sound would be nice but all the isolation was lost with that experiment...so no point trying to go further with that route. In the end I preferred the sound with stock pads.

In frustration I plugged in dx1000. Mids sounded recessed and colored. It always takes a while to get used to jvc sound. Then it struck me...what if I tried jvc pads on w1000x.  I was hesitant at first. The part which that connects the pads to the headphones is in really bad shape. It would not need a lot more pulling and it would break. Anyway I gave it a shot. Oh man am I glad I did! It sound's so good that I'm not going to go into details. Atleast not yet. Need to listen some more to make sure I have not lost my mind. I'll say that much though: I'ts a night and day difference between the jvc and stock pads. These sound so good that T1 might not be the headphone I'm buying a new amp for... Yeah, really unexpected results that really make me question my sanity :D

Nov 14, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #1,278 of 1,994
Jeez - Only just gone and ordered, hopefully be the perfect closed partner to me HE400's..... damn you Head-Fi..... and don't tell the misses!

Can't wait!

You tell me bout it!
It better be better than the 900X.
Sorry for our wallets xD

Nov 14, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #1,279 of 1,994
  So... After more listening my impressions have not changed. I'm not really impressed. I still find these quite boring. I started experementing with different pads. First pads I tried were Philips SBC HP890 pads. Those are HUGE. Too big actually but fit is still decent. Sound was pretty meh. I tried those pads with original pads under them and that sounded even worse...not really a surprise. Then I tried HM5 pads. It takes a lot of stretching but those can be fitted. Bass was allmost boomy, so I quickly went back to stock pads. For the heck of it I tried how would it sound If I tried what would it sound if I taped K501 pads on ath. Bass was gone and headphones sounded surprisingly a lot like akg's. Closed back headphones with k501 sound would be nice but all the isolation was lost with that experiment...so no point trying to go further with that route. In the end I preferred the sound with stock pads.

In frustration I plugged in dx1000. Mids sounded recessed and colored. It always takes a while to get used to jvc sound. Then it struck me...what if I tried jvc pads on w1000x.  I was hesitant at first. The part which that connects the pads to the headphones is in really bad shape. It would not need a lot more pulling and it would break. Anyway I gave it a shot. Oh man am I glad I did! It sound's so good that I'm not going to go into details. Atleast not yet. Need to listen some more to make sure I have not lost my mind. I'll say that much though: I'ts a night and day difference between the jvc and stock pads. These sound so good that T1 might not be the headphone I'm buying a new amp for... Yeah, really unexpected results that really make me question my sanity :D

Yea pads make a differeance with the w1000x, I like the L3000 my self, but you may really like the J$ or heck oyu might like your DX1000 pads on them! Well you do like teh DX 1000! Still let us know what you think :3 When you get more time with them 

Nov 14, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #1,280 of 1,994
Any idea if the Shure SRH 840 leather/velour pads could fit?
I am tempted to try these,as they seem deep enough for my ears.
I tried the HM5 but they wouldn't fit for me, not surprisingly as they come in different sizes and shapes at random... Still awesome pads though :/
Any other pads under 50$ that are rather deep and could fit?

Nov 14, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #1,281 of 1,994
Any idea if the Shure SRH 840 leather/velour pads could fit?
I am tempted to try these,as they seem deep enough for my ears.
I tried the HM5 but they wouldn't fit for me, not surprisingly as they come in different sizes and shapes at random... Still awesome pads though :/
Any other pads under 50$ that are rather deep and could fit?

The reason I was able to fit my hm5 pads on w1000x was that I had previously used those pads on another huge headphone. Those got streched so much that they're now 95% round even when theyre not on headphones. Perhaps you could take a round object, a mug for an example, leave pads stretching for few days or a week or so and see If you could then fit those on w1000x.

Nov 14, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #1,282 of 1,994
Just got these for a steal at 370$ new and I'm loving them... coming from my HD800's these are a bit more colored I feel these are a great compliment to them I have now a good pair of open and a nice closed pair of headphones so I don't annoy the lady... life is great. My only complaint was the pads the ear openings are really tiny so they sat on top of my ears... swapped them out for some hifiman leather pads for 20$... and... jackpot super comfortable they fit PERFECTLY they look OEM. This is my first pair of woodies and I'm loving the mids on them the bass is also nice and punchy ( I'm a bit of a basshead its gotta be clean). Don't even get me started on the aesthetics these are gorgeous at 400$ I think these are tough to beat!!!

Nov 14, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #1,283 of 1,994
  Just got these for a steal at 370$ new and I'm loving them... coming from my HD800's these are a bit more colored I feel these are a great compliment to them I have now a good pair of open and a nice closed pair of headphones so I don't annoy the lady... life is great. My only complaint was the pads the ear openings are really tiny so they sat on top of my ears... swapped them out for some hifiman leather pads for 20$... and... jackpot super comfortable they fit PERFECTLY they look OEM. This is my first pair of woodies and I'm loving the mids on them the bass is also nice and punchy ( I'm a bit of a basshead its gotta be clean). Don't even get me started on the aesthetics these are gorgeous at 400$ I think these are tough to beat!!!

WOW awesome price! Where did you find them :O I paid $350 last year for a refurbished pair my self! 

Nov 15, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #1,285 of 1,994
 My only complaint was the pads the ear openings are really tiny so they sat on top of my ears... swapped them out for some hifiman leather pads for 20$... and... jackpot super comfortable they fit PERFECTLY they look OEM.

You've all got me worried that these won't be over ear now, I've only little ears so I may be ok, I use that excuse to help ignore the wife, but I have got my original he400 pads still about so wondered if you noticed and sq change and how easy we're they to fit?

Nov 15, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #1,286 of 1,994
You've all got me worried that these won't be over ear now, I've only little ears so I may be ok, I use that excuse to help ignore the wife, but I have got my original he400 pads still about so wondered if you noticed and sq change and how easy we're they to fit?

In general the HiFiMAN pleather pads are not the best in terms of SQ due to the middle mesh...
In my experience,it muffles the sound a bit and emphasizes bass while recesses mids and highs as well.
Unless you mod the pads, like I did, by using a thinner middle mesh [stockings can be used or other thin, transparent material]
The Hifiman Velour earpads might be a better match as it does exactly the opposite - makes the sound clearer by reducing the bass slightly and emphasizes the mids/highs a bit.
I want to try the Shure SRH 840 leather and/or velour earpads, that is if they fit... or the HM5 pads if they can fit as well...
The Beyerdynamic earpads proved too small for the rings in my experience, so you really wanna have earpads that allow enough give for the fat lip of the AT headphones, which is the culprit.
That's my 0.2

Nov 15, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #1,287 of 1,994
Another pads that fit - The Audio Technica AD "leather" earpads.

Don't like the sound too much but the comfort is excellent.
Really warm, lacks some highs extension and dynamics. Very relaxing sound, non-fatiguing but slightly muddied.

Nov 15, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #1,288 of 1,994
Also managed to put the AD velours on.
The resulting sound is the exact opposite - very bright, very little bass. Crisp and clear but slightly harsh or edgy at times...
Comfort once again is +++, like the AD leathers.

Seems like HiFiMAN velours are the sonically most coherent pads, but they are nowhere near as comfy :/

Nov 15, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #1,289 of 1,994
  Also managed to put the AD velours on.
The resulting sound is the exact opposite - very bright, very little bass. Crisp and clear but slightly harsh or edgy at times...
Comfort once again is +++, like the AD leathers.

Seems like HiFiMAN velours are the sonically most coherent pads, but they are nowhere near as comfy :/

If you plan on getting the W1000x, I would go ahead and get some L3000 Pads, they should fit and are a combination of the Velour and the Leathers from the AD series 

Nov 15, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #1,290 of 1,994
  If you plan on getting the W1000x, I would go ahead and get some L3000 Pads, they should fit and are a combination of the Velour and the Leathers from the AD series 

No, I am not spending that for pads yet :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back