ATH-W1000X Thread!
May 25, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #406 of 1,994

Quote:
I dunno, it sure didn't sound good on my Melos SHA-1 with some incredibly expensive tubes... and nearly everything sounds good with a Melos. I guess if you're devoted to an expensive amp that is matched for them they'd be fine, but I don't know for sure. The W1000X on the other hand, sounds great out of nearly anything I've plugged it into.

Hmm it is not the price/grade of the amp that matters for Audio Technica cans but rather synergy.

With the wrong ones, they will just sound hollow, thin, bass-less, weird, dull. I am not even sure if RSA The Raptor nor Headamp GS1 will make W5000 sing well.

I had tried AD2000 on some amps and they just sounded horrible. Tried A2000X and its too sibilance and thin. But with the right amp, both of them really mesmerized me.

With that said, all the audio technica cans work surprising well out from the ipod jack. It is a mystery.

W1000X is less picky on amps but still neither my Stepdance, iQube nor Corda Swing are able to bring out its potential well.

With that said, all the audio technica cans work very well out from ipod jack.

May 25, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #407 of 1,994
Well, I do not find the top end AT works well from iPod jack at all. Well, it makes sound but not the sound it should be making with the right amp.

May 27, 2011 at 5:11 AM Post #409 of 1,994
Different perspective on amping these ATH headphones. For me most ATH are efficient phones and aren't that picky amp wise. Although a proper amp should improve. Right now I'm just content with the Anedio D1 DAC + W1000X combo.

May 27, 2011 at 5:14 AM Post #410 of 1,994

Quote:
Different perspective on amping these ATH headphones. For me most ATH are efficient phones and aren't that picky amp wise. Although a proper amp should improve. Right now I'm just content with the Anedio D1 DAC + W1000X combo.

Oh nice! I'm using my Audio Tech through an Anedio D1 too XD

May 27, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #411 of 1,994
I really, i mean REALLY, want to compare the W1000x to my F5005s... will have to unload some Staxen fo it to happen tho.
frown.gif

May 27, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #412 of 1,994
@wind016
Yes I know that. Thanks to project86 and others contributing in that thread. It was really helpful and you have a W-series ATH headphone too 
biggrin.gif

Now would a Luxman p1-u amp be a bit too much? If I had lots money I'd definitely try it out. But right now with the Anedio D1 it just makes sense. Just curious about what source/amp combinations other W1000X owners use here?

May 30, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #414 of 1,994

Quote:

Adorama has really good prices and are very reliable. I bought a pair of AKG K701s about a year ago at the lowest price in the market from Adorama. They seem to have a really expensive restocking fee, however, so be sure of what you want.

May 31, 2011 at 6:55 AM Post #416 of 1,994

Quote:
I went to Electronics Expo, frequently the source for Amazon for mine.  Their pricing fluctuates quite often, so it's like the market, grab it at the price you like.

Electronics Expo seems to have a 20% restocking fee...

"Merchandise found to be non-defective will be subject to a 20% restocking fee. Additional fees may be assessed for missing factory supplied hardware & packaging, where there is excessive wear & tear or damaged packaging."

May 31, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #417 of 1,994

Quote:

Electronics Expo seems to have a 20% restocking fee...

"Merchandise found to be non-defective will be subject to a 20% restocking fee. Additional fees may be assessed for missing factory supplied hardware & packaging, where there is excessive wear & tear or damaged packaging."

Just ordered from them this morning.   I'm sure I'm keeping these, so re-stocking not much of an issue.  On the other hand if I don't like them for whatever reason I'll just give someone out here a good deal rather than pay the re-stocking.

I'm hoping to drive these with my Decco2, but we'll see.

I've read the little Audio Space Mini 2004 has a very good headphone output.   I'll bet that would be a good combo, and then you can run efficient speakers as well.

Jun 3, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #420 of 1,994
Having just heard the W1000X briefly I was really impressed by it, owning the W5000 I can see how people would like the sound characteristics of W1000X much better. That said I still would not trade in my W5000's, maybe if I didn't have the matching HA5000 I would think about getting the W1000X, since amping is far less temperamental. IMO if proper synergy is achieved with the W5000, as amp and source are all in harmony, it is hard to deny its strengths of impeccable attention to detail, space and heavenly female vocals that just floor me every time. The W1000X sounded "overall" the more balanced headphone when compared to the W5000, but was missing that special magic that the properly synergized W5000 possessed. If I was starting again, did not want to spend lots of money, I would with no doubt go for the W1000X since it is excellent value! But if you don't mind spending the extra dollars and time finding what makes the W5000's sing, IMO you will be rewarded with a unique and special sound that is bliss to someone that enjoys a light, spacious and detailed sound that has a hint of sweetness. The W5000 isn't everyones cup of tea, and if it is not yours then the W1000X is a great alternative with a different sound signature in the AT line up. Very nice! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back