ATH SJ5 vs K81DJ
Mar 2, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #46 of 124
i just had them ordered to compare, they are good, but not anything astronomical over the k81. after blu tack modding, theres not much difference at all. sj5 offered better mids but thats about it. you can tame high bass with blu tack, you cant increase bass without buying an amp or a lot of EQ. of course, it all IMO.

BTW, its for sale anyone that wants it, PM me.

Mar 13, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #48 of 124
I was thinking about getting the K81, but it seems that I would like the sound of the SJ5 more. I know the SJ5 doesn't isolate as well as the K81, but do you think it would be suitable for use on the bus or plane? Thanks.

Mar 14, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #49 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by quahog123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was thinking about getting the K81, but it seems that I would like the sound of the SJ5 more. I know the SJ5 doesn't isolate as well as the K81, but do you think it would be suitable for use on the bus or plane? Thanks.

If you want a phone that sounds better than the 81DJ but isolates a little less, then try the HD201. Not as easy on the eyes as the DJ, but more detailed, and not as bassy and only a $20 risk. May need a portable amp to sound its best.

Mar 25, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #52 of 124
keep us posted
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #54 of 124
Sweet! Was just about to get the K81DJs when i stumbled across this place and these headphones! Think I might get these in a week or two after some more reviews come out. I'm currently using the CX300s as well so really looking forward to your thoughts between the two btb103!

Mar 26, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #55 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by oli84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So.. for the people who got the ATH-SJ5's, how would you describe their sound?

I'm on the prowl for fun cans, and I'm wondering if these might be it.

They are fun cans. They make me smile all the time.

They sound very nice unamped out of my ZVM, which is why I got them.

I find they are pretty versatile compared to some of the other headphones I own. They don't have bloated bass or piercing highs, and they take very well to equalization.

I view them as "workhorse" headphones.

I don't hear annoying people when I go out, my music sounds good enough to make me grin, they are super comfortable, tough, incredibly good looking and easy to tote around.

They have a lot more going for them than anything else I've run across at this price point.

Mar 26, 2007 at 3:20 AM Post #56 of 124
hey guys. i have the k81dj's but i'm about ready to ebay them... they're too tight fitting for my head... especially since i wear glasses. after an hour or so, the inner side of my ears would be red and sore.

for the sj5 owners... do any of you wear glasses?? if so, do you ears get sore after a long session of listening?? any comfort issues w/ them??

also, i listen to music while i'm studying in the library. how bad does the music leak out of the headphones?? i don't wanna get kicked out of the library for disturbing people close to me. isolation isn't really a big deal...

thanks!

Mar 26, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #57 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by aye5882 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey guys. i have the k81dj's but i'm about ready to ebay them... they're too tight fitting for my head... especially since i wear glasses. after an hour or so, the inner side of my ears would be red and sore.

for the sj5 owners... do any of you wear glasses?? if so, do you ears get sore after a long session of listening?? any comfort issues w/ them??

also, i listen to music while i'm studying in the library. how bad does the music leak out of the headphones?? i don't wanna get kicked out of the library for disturbing people close to me. isolation isn't really a big deal...

thanks!

They are closed and pretty close to being curcumaural (but they are not), so virtually no sound leaks out when you have them on.

You also can play them at a lower volume than open portables, especially in the library.

As for glasses, I don't wear them. I can say that these barely clamp at all, which makes them extremely comfortable, but the trade-off is somewhat less isolation.

I don't find that is a big problem, and the comfort is worth it.

Mar 26, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #58 of 124
DP

Mar 26, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #59 of 124
eager to see some more reviews of these. I'm already pretty impressed with AT phones owning the AD900. I had just about locked on getting the Sony V6 as a portable, but the recent good reviews these SJ5s are getting have put me back at an impasse.

Also, I just adored the the HD201 despite its flaws. It was just too clunky for portable usage (though it didn't stop me). Also, had a really bad dip in one driver at 5kHz. Always sounded wonky in one ear and I couldn't put my finger on it till I just happened to have 'em on my head looking at a hearing test website one day.

Mar 26, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #60 of 124
Excitement about these phones grows. I just can't make myself quite yet pay close to double of what they actually cost.

$32 in Japan (accdg to a post I've seen here), but total of $63 from audiocubes. It's like buying 2 of these!

Compare that to ES7, a higher-end can, you end up paying ~$40 over the actual price there ($100); you get more headphone for your money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back