ATH-SJ11 or ATH-SJ33 or ATH-SJ55
Aug 8, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #31 of 41
I don't thing the highs are the problem with sj33.  I've own one and it sounds good even in portable players.  In portable players, sj 33 has trouble in alternative and some rock songs, a litlte bit muddiness is heard when they played all instruments together especially in the song "Thanks for the Memories"(Fall Out boy).  In the PC, all of the detail is heard and superior clarity and it loses it's muddiness heard in portable . Overall, these babies give you far superior clarity unheard off in this kind of price range($50-100).  Sj 33 performance is almost similar to fanny wang and solo hd but not as bass driven, better balance and one weakness as I've mentioned before.   Have you tried it using a hifi or pc?  These babies are down right insane.

Aug 8, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #32 of 41
Not at all.  Loud, very clear and bass driven but not to powerful.  Very well suited in almost all except alternatives in portables(blame it on weak audio drivers and 100db limit).  However all types are songs including alternatives are played extremely well in PC(great gaming headphones and I recommend playing Crysis 2 on these monsters).  You can practically hear how the wind hit lips in singing, the guitar picks hit the string and how cymbals vibrate when struck with a drum stick.  I've never ever heard of quality of this caliber in a a sub $60 headphones before.

Aug 8, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #33 of 41
Chunky... I don't mind you defending the 33s, but don't assume that I didn't try them against a wide range of sources. And honestly I A/B'ed them directly against the 55s. I heard a definite degradation in the highs of the 33s. They are still great, but the 55s do everything so much better.

Here is the list of sources I used...
Cowon J3
Clip+
PC through sound blaster card (exact model I don't remember)
And finally through my stereo system which is an older Kenwood stereo system (1992 iirc). Which is a 5 disk cd player and a stereo amp, which is where I plugged into. 

I listened to a wide range of music and took my time over the course of a week. Everything I said was the result of my listening. Had I taken detailed notes on everything I'd have posted a comparison review here, but I didn't because it was for a friend that was debating between the two IRL. 

I never said the SJ33 were bad, but I said in terms of the line up they were to average to be truly recommended in my opinion. They aren't as small and portable as the SJ11s, and they simply don't sound as good as the SJ55s.

If you have the money the 55s are superior in every way from build to sound. If those are out of your budget then by all means get the 33s, because they are still good, just not something I'd primarily recommend. 

Sep 25, 2011 at 6:52 AM Post #34 of 41
I will try SJ55 this week.  I am extremely curious how this is better than my SJ33.  I've heard that the SJ55 are phenomenal for its price though I wish all of the SJ series are better looking.  Still all of them are better than the Bose AE1(very irritating highs).  I know that SJ55 is have more or better sound stage as one reviewer said that: you hear as if the singer is in front of you.  Also, which will you recommend between this two Audio Technicas: M50 or pro700mk2(something that replicates SJ33 quality but in a much powerful scale)?  

Sep 25, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #35 of 41

Quote:
I will try SJ55 this week.  I am extremely curious how this is better than my SJ33.  I've heard that the SJ55 are phenomenal for its price though I wish all of the SJ series are better looking.  Still all of them are better than the Bose AE1(very irritating highs).  I know that SJ55 is have more or better sound stage as one reviewer said that: you hear as if the singer is in front of you.  Also, which will you recommend between this two Audio Technicas: M50 or pro700mk2(something that replicates SJ33 quality but in a much powerful scale)?  

M50 vs PRO700mk2 depends on the sound you are looking for. Personally I like the bass on the PRO700s more, despite them being a bit more plentiful, because the bass seems punchier and cleaner. The M50s while not having terrible bass tend to be a bit muddy compared to other headphones. I haven't listened to either in some time though, so my impressions may be different now. 

On a side note... I think the SJ series looks amazing. I generally like how A-T styles their headphones. (Well I think the PRO700gd are a bit much, but hey... black is nice)

Oct 12, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #36 of 41
I finally tested the SJ 55 and immediately some of its strengths and weakness pops out. It is by far the best for money in terms of clarity and the most accurate of all SJ line. It has a different padding which is stiffer and thinner than SJ 33  and offers the best sound stage ever in this price. It can easily beat Bose AE1. However, there is one disturbing thing that it lacks that the SJ 33 has. SJ 33 delivers the punch of the  base that you can actually feel. It vibrates slightly in high bass songs. You can actually feel the songs power as if it is like a cheap version of Fanny Wangs or Beats Solo HD but in a much balance scale with almost better clarity(needs more testing for Fanny Wangs). I also hear what was a your complaint about the highs. The highs are boosted  but not bad at all to the point that I prefer these over SJ 55(highs are accurate but not my taste). SJ 55 can deliver the best vocals that I hear how the singer exhale to sing which slightly better definition than the SJ33 . Highs are close to as recorded and same story for bass. You can tell where the instruments and singers are placed at almost pinpoint accuracy and better suited for gaming. However as I said it lacks the feel that SJ 33 have. In conclusion SJ 55 has slightly better  clarity, sound stage and highs but lacks the punch and tactile experience that SJ 33 gives. SJ 33 may have boosted highs but still it has better punch and you feel more to you music. Both I and the owner of SJ 55 wants to experience both headphones and neither one wants to give up one for the other. It is not fair that you said that SJ 33 is not worth since I can see its true appeal now and it is unfair and misleading to give an opinion without see its full potential. SJ 33 is built if want a lively or something like a party on your head(semi audiophile/bass head) while SJ 55 is built for a audiophile experience. Both are bang for a buck.

Jun 29, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #37 of 41
Quote:
Can anyone comment more on any of these headphones?  How is the actual sound from them?  I noticed there was no headband cushion - are they comfortable/can be worn several hours straight (also, if you know how they work with glasses, let me know)?  And is the build quality good?  Finally, would you say these have very good overall value?  I would be listening to a wide variety of music off of a laptop and mp3 player - I've been looking around for a pair of good, comfortable, and closed portables.

I have personally used both sj11 and sj55. In my opinion, i like the sj11 a toooonnnn better. The thing is, for me, the sj55s are very akward on your ears. They are kinda like the ws55. Is not big enough to be an over ear but also not quite small enough to be an on ear. So they have a bunch of gaps on your ears for sound to leak and stuff. However, the sj11s are exactly the right size of on-ears. They create this seal around your ear, and when you put them on, it feels like its pressurized and no sound is leaking out. So when you turn on your music, everything is coming directly into your ears. The sound on these headphones are wonderful. Bass is rich, mids are warm, but the highs lack a little (Not too much. Just very minor). When i first tried them on at a headphone store, i was just standing for 1 hours straight, amazed at how good on-ear headphones could sound. comfortability on theses headphones are no problem at all. You can wear these all day and not feel pain at all. Also about the no cushion on the headband thing, you wont even notice it.(unless you don't have hair) So all in all, i would highly recommend 11s over the 55s.

Jul 12, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #38 of 41
Quote:
I finally tested the SJ 55 and immediately some of its strengths and weakness pops out. It is by far the best for money in terms of clarity and the most accurate of all SJ line. It has a different padding which is stiffer and thinner than SJ 33  and offers the best sound stage ever in this price. It can easily beat Bose AE1. However, there is one disturbing thing that it lacks that the SJ 33 has. SJ 33 delivers the punch of the  base that you can actually feel. It vibrates slightly in high bass songs. You can actually feel the songs power as if it is like a cheap version of Fanny Wangs or Beats Solo HD but in a much balance scale with almost better clarity(needs more testing for Fanny Wangs). I also hear what was a your complaint about the highs. The highs are boosted  but not bad at all to the point that I prefer these over SJ 55(highs are accurate but not my taste). SJ 55 can deliver the best vocals that I hear how the singer exhale to sing which slightly better definition than the SJ33 . Highs are close to as recorded and same story for bass. You can tell where the instruments and singers are placed at almost pinpoint accuracy and better suited for gaming. However as I said it lacks the feel that SJ 33 have. In conclusion SJ 55 has slightly better  clarity, sound stage and highs but lacks the punch and tactile experience that SJ 33 gives. SJ 33 may have boosted highs but still it has better punch and you feel more to you music. Both I and the owner of SJ 55 wants to experience both headphones and neither one wants to give up one for the other. It is not fair that you said that SJ 33 is not worth since I can see its true appeal now and it is unfair and misleading to give an opinion without see its full potential. SJ 33 is built if want a lively or something like a party on your head(semi audiophile/bass head) while SJ 55 is built for a audiophile experience. Both are bang for a buck.

I haven't checked this thread in a in a while. And I only have one thing to say... It is MY OPINION. Audio is SUBJECTIVE. Stop trying to defend your own purchase and debase my own opinion. I told it as I heard it. I like the SJ33s but think the 11s and the 55s are both superior in different ways. I don't think they are worth it when you have the option to go up a level or if you want something more portable, you do. Don't attack my opinion because you have a different opinion than mine. State your opinion without attacking other users opinions, it is simple and common courtesy. 

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #39 of 41
I first purchased an SJ11 then SJ55 and lastly the M50. In my observations, in an unequalized sounds source, the M50 wins hands down followed by the SJ55. But with the aid of equalizers like the Beats in my HP laptop, and with the appropriate settings, I can no longer differentiate the three in terms of sound quality. The 3 ATHs just sound great! Of course, each has unique equalizer settings to bring out the desired quality of sounds. 

Jun 21, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #40 of 41
Got my SJ33 few weeks back and m liking them a lot. Initial impressions were good out of the box but i felt treble a bit peaky. After around 20hrs on them everything was just amazing for the price. the treble settled well and smoothened up some and the extension is also enough for my liking. The bass goes really deep with good body, decently fast and its a hard hitting one. In no way it feels congested on busy tracks. the sound is lively and very enjoyable and i feel its nicely spacious for a closed portable.
It squeeze in nice & is very portable as i carry it in a pouch wherever i go. comfortable it is as the clamp force is not much. the fact that they are so light, i dont feel the lack of headband padding is any missed feature. In all its a great set of portable and i like the way it sounds
size]

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #41 of 41
Hi am a newbie. I bought a SJ33 2 days ago and I used it for 8 hours continuously. The punchy bass is the reason i bought this although the treble seems a little lacking but fine with me. After 8 hours of use daily now at 24 hours the treble improved but the punchy bass which i liked is gone now it has bass which is good but I am missing the punch.

I am using tablet to play music with Rocket player with rock setting in equalizer at about 50% volume. Even an increase in volume does not give that punchy bass which sounds good to me then. I played LinkinPark Shadow of the day it have this bass in  intro but theres no more punch, with Neyo's Closer the bass is there alright but sounds boomy now that it lost the punchy bass ( there is a thud in it which i like.) The classical music I played sound better now it have more treble. I tried using another player with bass boost but the punch is really not there anymore. Music sounds clear and crisp when in  playing thru Rocket player other player seem to have different setting in equalizer so i stick with Rocket.

This is the first time I bought a real $50 (in Philippines) headphone expensive at that price to me. I have been using  $3 headphone  which dont have bass but sounds good to me.

I would like to ask if new headphones really lose the bassiness after about 24 hours use? Would  it be better if I bought a bassy headphone expecting that it will lose some punch in bass but gain more treble? Or my ear is the one that adjusted to music because of the bass ahaha.

I have tried other bassy headphone but the bass seem hard to my hearing not punchy bass like in SJ33. I was actually thinking of buying  Sony XB400 before i bought this. I tried this on PC and this sound way better. I am using AIMP3 player with headphones setting in equalizer. This is really worth it though I'm missing that punch in bass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back