Which one has better specs?

SJ11:
Type - Closed-back Dynamic
Driver - φ36mm
Sound Pressure Level - 104dB/mW
Playback frequency - 15 ~ 22,000 Hz
Maximum input - 500mW
Impedance - 32Ω
Weight - Approximately 90g (excluding cord)
Connector - Gold-plated stereo mini-φ3.5 (L type)
Cable Length - 1.2m

SJ33:
Driver Diameter - Ø40 mm
Magnet - Neodymium
Frequency Response - 10 ~ 23,000Hz
Maximum Input Power - 500mW
Sensitivity - 103 dB/mW
Impedance - 48 Ω
Weight - 110 g
Cable length 1.2m / Y-type
Connector - Ø3.5mm L-type mini stereo, gold-plated

SJ55:

Driver Diameter - 40 mm
Magnet - Neodymium
Frequency Response - 8 ~ 25,000Hz
Maximum Input Power - 800 mW
Sensitivity - 104 dB/mW
Impedance - 48 Ω
Weight - 120 g
Cable length - 1.2m / Y-type
Connector - Ø3.5mm L-type mini stereo, gold-plated

oh and can i ask which one affects the bass ? are there any similar headphones with similar design and SQ?

Dec 26, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #3 of 41
The SJ-55 have a better bass response as suggested by the playback frequency. They can reach the lower end of the frequencies heading towards the bass.

I myself was debating on the 11's and the 55's. I like the Black and Green of the 11's but the SQ for the 55's are better.

Jan 12, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #4 of 41
Can anyone comment more on any of these headphones?  How is the actual sound from them?  I noticed there was no headband cushion - are they comfortable/can be worn several hours straight (also, if you know how they work with glasses, let me know)?  And is the build quality good?  Finally, would you say these have very good overall value?  I would be listening to a wide variety of music off of a laptop and mp3 player - I've been looking around for a pair of good, comfortable, and closed portables.

Feb 26, 2011 at 6:33 AM Post #5 of 41
I'm also interested in getting a pair of one of these for portable use.

Has anyone had experience with these or know anything about them?

I'm mostly concerned about the comfort.

Also, where's the cheapest place to get them? I know audio cubes has them with pretty decent prices.

Feb 26, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #6 of 41
I have decent experience with all three... I personally don't like the SJ33s... They do nothing well... They aren't as protable as the SJ11s and don't have as good sound as the SJ55s....

The SJ55s are better overall, but I have to be honest... I like the look and presentation of the SJ11s... They don't sound bad for the size and price. 

Ironically... the bass response is not where I have the problem, its the highs for the SJ33...

That being said... I'd still pick up the 55s. But if you are using them for purely portable ends... than the 11s might be a better fit.

Feb 27, 2011 at 5:45 AM Post #7 of 41
kyuuketsuki,
How is the comfort, build quality, etc. on each of them?  What other headphones are they similar to, in size and sound quality (and what would be significantly better alternatives)?  Sorry, I'd just like a bit more information since, last I checked (which was awhile ago), there was next to nothing online about these headphones.

Feb 27, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #8 of 41
The comfort is actually pretty decent. Though AT says they are "Street Style DJ" headphones or something... They don't have a huge amount of clamping force, and I generally don't find any three of them uncomfortable, granted I probably would have if they had any weight to them. Build quality is the same on the 33s and the 55s...  They are well built, and feel quite sturdy despite being all plastic. The SJ11s feel a bit weaker, but not by too much, but I suspect that is due to the smaller size and not due to lack of effort or cheap materials....

And significantly better alternatives in terms of what?

Feb 28, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #9 of 41
Thanks for the info kyuuketsuki.

How much bigger/less portable is the SJ55 compared to the SJ11?

Like I said, I'll be using it ONLY for portable use (like public transport, in the library, etc) because I have my M50s for home use.
So is the SJ11 the better option despite the slightly worse SQ?

If you were in my position, would you get the SJ11 for $40 or the SJ55 for $60?

Thanks in advance

Mar 18, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #10 of 41
http://www.exportprive.com/audiotechnica-athsj55-white-p-15449.html 55 for 50$
Btw, if you use it in the streets with cowon D2  and with a laptop, is it still worth it ? 
Or should I go with Sj11 for 30$ on the same web-site?
Thanks in advance

Mar 18, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #11 of 41
If you are using it for just mobile uses SJ11s might be better, because they fold up nicer (a quick google image search should show you what I mean). But if you are using them for both the SJ55s would be better.

Quote:
http://www.exportprive.com/audiotechnica-athsj55-white-p-15449.html 55 for 50$
Btw, if you use it in the streets with cowon D2  and with a laptop, is it still worth it ? 
Or should I go with Sj11 for 30$ on the same web-site?
Thanks in advance

Mar 27, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #12 of 41
I'm gonna be ordering the sj11's this week and I'll probably be using them while playing tennis, walking around, so I'll see how they perform. Thanks for all the info Mr. vampire haha

Apr 21, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #13 of 41

Hi, I'm a newbie to this forum. Just want to share my experience of the ATH-SJ11. I recently acquired this pair of headphones. This is my second headphone (first being the ATH-ON1 which is pretty mediocre). I've been using IEM exclusively and is still relatively new to headphones. Whatever comparison I make is based on my experience with the SJ11 and also the ECCI-PR401 IEM. The SJ11 fits comfortably and I was almost going to write off this headphone until I started playing my first track. The headphone is obviously strong on the highs of my tracks. I listen to mostly vocals, so I am more biased towards headphones that gives me clarity than bass. That is not to say the SJ11 lacks bass. In fact, I think the bass is a very good balance. Not too overdone and also not too weak. Its just the right amount for me. I think probably after some time, I might ditch IEMs completely as I am really hooked by how good the sound quality headphones can deliver compared to IEMs.

Apr 23, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #14 of 41
@TFMeouch Hey man welcome the world of Hi-FI!! Don't be surprised when you look back and your wallet is dead haha. How long have you had them for? In terms of hours like 100+ hours burned in and so? Sound gets better with time as they burn in!

May 2, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #15 of 41
my SJ11 arrived last week and all i can say is worth every dollar i've spent...i'm using this together with my nationite n2 when i'm on my way to work by subway, really great that's why i'm a audio technica fanboy eversince =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back